2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Brad_UT

Thanks for another excellent video! I love watching this build come together and hearing about all the little issues that come up along the way. I will be going down the same road soon and this kind of information is invaluable.

So, question about the Kelderman setup and the lift required to clear the 41" MPT81's. The consensus is that you need a 2-3" lift so are you going to combine the "stock height" Kelderman setup with blocks in the rear? That should be simple enough if needed. For the front though, how are you going to get the lift with the Kelderman setup and account for the axle being moved 1" forward?

-Brad

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Very cool! I had always thought (uneducated about this sort of thing) that the air suspension kits like these were for those 24x14 with rubber band tire car show losers, I had no idea ambulances ran their kit, and they had any sort of real weight capacity. Makes me consider a one ton truck again. Thanks!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Suspension job is impressive, Im a bit jealous :oops:

Did I read that you are planning on manual fill ports/valves for the bags?

If so, I highly recommend in-cab-controls. (y)

danneskjold

Very cool! I had always thought (uneducated about this sort of thing) that the air suspension kits like these were for those 24x14 with rubber band tire car show losers, I had no idea ambulances ran their kit, and they had any sort of real weight capacity. Makes me consider a one ton truck again. Thanks!

Main reason ambulances use the kit is for when the rear doors open the bags will let all of the air out making loading patients easier. Being able to adjust on the fly for any weight changes is nice as well I’m sure

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thanks for another excellent video! I love watching this build come together and hearing about all the little issues that come up along the way. I will be going down the same road soon and this kind of information is invaluable.

So, question about the Kelderman setup and the lift required to clear the 41" MPT81's. The consensus is that you need a 2-3" lift so are you going to combine the "stock height" Kelderman setup with blocks in the rear? That should be simple enough if needed. For the front though, how are you going to get the lift with the Kelderman setup and account for the axle being moved 1" forward?

-Brad

Thanks for the kind words! Being the guinea pig on all this is a little frustrating, but also kinda fun. I enjoy puzzles, USUALLY! HAHAHAHA

To answer your question....

Each truck is different of course.

I want mine as low as possible and use the tires to provide all my ground clearance. Doesnt matter how much "lift" you add, the bottom of the axles will always remain the same, so ground clearance is only gained with tire height.

As it sits now, it has the 3" spacer in the front and stock height rear. The truck sits 100% perfectly level like this and drives surprisingly well.

Because i am starting with a clean slate in the rear, i plan on keeping it stock height and just building the subframe and camper around the tires really. If that makes sense.

For now, i have only done the Kelderman in the rear. Their front kit is for stock height only. BUT... Firestone makes 1000000 different bags, and i've found identical ones that they used that provide either 2 or 3" of lift.

Right now, I am going to keep it as is, and see how it all sits and rides once the camper is on. May do the front later, not sure yet.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

The kit is actually made for and designed for the 19,500 GVWR

java

Expedition Leader
FWIW I have the kelderman front only and am not real impressed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Why companies don't hire a non engineer to do assembly instructions is beyond me, nice build, thanks for detailed build specs, helps every builder out, nice job,

Yeah, it was quite frustrating and wouldnt be that hard at all do to a nice set of instructions. Thanks for the kind words

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Suspension job is impressive, Im a bit jealous :oops:

Did I read that you are planning on manual fill ports/valves for the bags?

If so, I highly recommend in-cab-controls. (y)

Yes. Manual fill.

Ummm. In cab controls arent manual fill! :p

I plan on running the valves to the outside of the subframe near each tire. When i air the tires down for offroad, i air the suspension down as well. Very few failure points.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
FWIW I have the kelderman front only and am not real impressed.

Yeah, i remember our convo about that. Thats why its a maybe, will see, type of thing at this point. Front feels fairly decent right now and guessing will be even nicer with more weight. Will see,

java

Expedition Leader
I have in cab on mine. Manual fill valves. Not a ton of complexity really.

java

Expedition Leader
So you run your airhose from outside of the truck to the inside to fill them and when you deflate them the air goes into the cab?

Yes, goes from compressor to switches in the cab to bags. Stinky air from deflating bags goes into cab. (I don't find myself deflating often....) but I do have one side that leaks down slowly. Filling (and seeing pressure) is handy from the cab

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Shinanigans... :ROFLMAO:

Not sure what you guys are doin', but my setup is 100% in cab.

Compressor controls with tank PSI gauge, and bag inflate/deflate with gauge(s), all in cab.

FYI, I dump the bags WAY before I air down the tires. Pretty much any time we hit dirt I dump the bags to soften the rear.
And truthfully, unless we have more than 20 miles off the pavement, I don't bother airing down the tires.
Dumping the bags is enough to soften the ride and keep the contents of the camper from being liquefied via vibration....

I leave dropping tire PSI to long committed stretches of rough off pavement, or getting stuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier