2020 tundra, sumo springs vs airbags for FWC

Fiore530

Howdy, I recently purchased a pretty much brand new 2020 tundra TRD OR to replace my 2001 tacoma. I have a 2016 FWC fleet, dry roughly weighs 700 lbs, that lived on the tacoma roughly 9 months out of the year for the last 5 years as it is my domicile while I'm away for work. The truck/camper sees a lot of dirt road use, no crazy trails other than wash boards/erosion/flood damage. On my tacoma I have a leaf kit from Boise Spring Works in addition to firestone airbags, and admittedly the 700 lbs was too much for the truck even slightly under GVWR. So, my question is what have others run on their tundras? The camper will still be under payload capacity of the tundra but I am not a fan of the ride quality of airbags, was wondering what experience others may have had with sumo springs? Ultimately as time goes on I will be adding a lift to the tundra, but not in the near future whilst the warranty is in effect, so i'd like to hold off on changing leafs, but am not opposed to doing it sooner than later if need be.

I had a similarly poor experience with airbags on an F150, so I opted for the blue Sumo Springs on my 2021 Tundra. I am pretty happy with them so far, but I have not gone heavy with them yet. I think there's another version that you can step up to for that sort of weight.

Over on tundras.com, the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) system gets plugged all day long and is probably worth a look. More money but surely less than a new leaf pack. Most RAS users seem pleased, assuming they are not just bots promoting the RAS system.

Last edited:

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
I’ve never carried around something as heavy as a 4WC regularly, so take what I say with appropriate skepticism. But, I did get sumo springs to replace my bump stops and have been very happy with that decision. I then got the RAS as an add-on and have been very, very happy with that setup. I’ve probably not carried more than 1000lb in the bed on my new/current tundra (2021 DC), but this setup worked very well with that weight, and I was no lower than level with that. For complete info, I have a GFC on my truck (~300lb) so I was probably a bit over GVWR with a half ton in the bed, so sitting level seemed pretty good to me.
If I were going to be driving around with that kind of weight all the time (like, say, adding a 4WC to my truck), I would do something bigger and better than sumo springs and RAS. I would prob get a beefier leaf pack, better shocks, and airbags all at the same time.

rruff

Explorer
Ultimately as time goes on I will be adding a lift to the tundra, but not in the near future whilst the warranty is in effect, so i'd like to hold off on changing leafs, but am not opposed to doing it sooner than later if need be.

Timely... I was just looking at Boise Spring. I'm pretty sure that beefing up the leaf pack won't void your warranty... and even if it did, it would only be for the parts you replaced.

You didn't like airbags even in combo with the spring kit?

Fiore530

Ultimately, I don’t think it was the spring/bag combo, I think it was me having a camper on a Tacoma, but regardless I had a bit of issues with the bags losing air multiple times, even after replacing them, which is why I’m interested if anyone had any good/bad experience with Sumo springs?

I would recommend Boise Spring to anyone, great product and great customer service, from my experience, they’re pretty straight forward.

rruff

Explorer
Did you have cradles? Bags do seem to be hit and miss, and I wouldn't want to rely on them completely.

Did you have the Boise kit designed for your full load? Or maybe your bags were giving above stock lift? What pressure in the bags? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm considering something similar to what you had...

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
“Air bags are hit and miss”…

Here one ‘hit’. I had Firestone air bags on my K2500 RC LB for many years with good effect and absolutely no problems whatsoever. No rear sag, truck rode ok when empty, and I especially liked how they effectively handled side sway under load, as I frequently was driving on very windy roads in the mountains.

The heaviest load they had to help carry constantly was a 10’ pop up, FSC, camper during one @ 4,500 trip around the US. Just FWIW

rruff

Explorer

I'd forgotten about that! I'm going to post the relevant bits regarding long-travel airbags for Tundras. 3-4.5" more travel than Firestones.

Zidaro at ExPo and Tundra Solutions

speaking of airbagit.com
this IS the bracket kit i am using on my truck:

It is a great design and has been working perfectly for 18mos. now but was not without its issues on install.
-the bracketry is bolt on, but you do need to grind off your bumpstop pad on the frame and a couple of buttons to get a clean frame to bolt to (this was not the issues)
- neither side of the brackets supplied lined up properly with the frame holes so some slight modding was required of both brackets prior to install. Mostly this was just very frustrating as this should be a simple bolt-on product.
- delivered product was a bit sloppy and required cleanup (read plasma slag)
my issues aside, this bracket kit places the airbag in the most appealing location of all the airbag kits avail.
I did not use the airbag they specify in their kit, i used one a little larger in diameter and with a 13" travel to accommodate articulation of a stage 5 ICON lift

From Tundra Solutions:
Been running this setup for over 4 years and it has been trouble free. and i beat on it and live where there is weather, snow, ice, mud, gravel(pumice) and rocks. No HuntingtonBch. :) Issues i see being a problem with the cradle- i.e. buildup in the cradle of said obstacles and it affecting how the bag contacts, deflecting it would be bad.
It also had JUST hit the market when i added bags to my truck
These bags extend to 13" and have an internal bumpstop at 2.5", which is nice cuz i don't have to worry about over compression.
The travel, set up as is, is 3"less than my suspension at full droop. They actually match the travel of my ICON VS RR rear shocks perfectly. But when i added the ICON spring pack i modded it and added a leaf from an old National race pack i had AND added longer shackles, thus extending my full droop travel 3" beyond what ICON had intended.
My rear shocks are being rebuilt by ICON as i type this. They will be returned modded to allow for full droop on my suspension.
Then i will have to extend my brake lines and change my airbag setup to allow for the full travel of the suspension. Not sure if Cradles will be my choice though.

Product Specs for Firestone W217606784

SeriesRide-Rite
Extended Length (IN) 8.30 inches
Compressed Height: 2.80 inches
Ride Height:5.50-6.50 inches
Maximum Diameter:6.60 inches
Firestone Bellows Number:267C 1.5
Air Inlet:1/4 NPT
UPC: 767555108529
MPN: W217606784

DeNominator-II Air Spring
Bags that come with the aribagit kit. One source says 11.5" max and another 12".
2600lb. New Style DeNominator 11.50" Extended 2.8" Collapse 7.25" Diameter - Single 1/2" port airspring airbag
DeNominator-II Air Spring
Diameter 7.25
Closed 2.8
Extended 12.00
3049lbs per bag
600psi rated

Slam Specialties
SS-8

$133.51

8? diameter bag
Single 1/2? NPT port
Rated @ 250psi
6061-T6 CNC machined aluminum NPT port
Zinc plated steel threaded inserts
2.7? min. collapsed height
13? max. height
Internal bumpstops
Non-ballooning design
(2) 3/8?-16 mounting holes in the top plate
(3) 3/8?-16 mounting holes in the bottom plate
Replaces: 26c/2800
Sold Individually

Airbag_Slam_ss8_01.jpg

bkg

Explorer
I think he eventually went with daystar lower cradles as well? Been years since I read the thread.

Fiore530

Did you have the Boise kit designed for your full load? Or maybe your bags were giving above stock lift? What pressure in the bags? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm considering something similar to what you had...

At the time I was local in Boise, and I was able to bring my truck in prior to that with my camper dry. The weight I carry fluctuates. I’d never inflate more than 45 psi.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you are running with a heavy load 24/7, then non-active support like Sumos or Timbrens or a custom leaf pack are perfect. It’s when you haul a heavy load for a day or week, and then go a month before hauling weight again that those options suck.

Running around in an empty truck, the Sumos and Timbrens are fine, but with just a smaller load they start to become an issue. It’s that point just before full contact. Your stock leaves are flexing enough for the Sumos/Timbrens to make contact on bumps in the road, and it gives a horrible jarring ride. Full disclosure, I have Timbrens in my truck right now (2019 Crewmax) and have a set of airbags that I will probably install this summer. Tongue weight on my big trailer makes full contact with the Timbrens, but my small camper trailer is in that middle ground. It’s a horrible driving experience. If you get a “dual stage” Sumo or Timbrens, it might be better. Mine are not, but were what was available when I needed them.

I have had 100% positive experience with airbags (both Firestone and Airlift). If you are worried about articulation offroad, then the Daystar cradles are a perfect addition.

rruff

Explorer
I have had 100% positive experience with airbags (both Firestone and Airlift). If you are worried about articulation offroad, then the Daystar cradles are a perfect addition.

Apparently you can get long travel bags even for a Tundra. I only know of one guy who has done it though. They need to be long enough so that the shock rather than the bag is the limiter. The cradles work well for most people, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior