2021 Ram 5500 with 2022 Host cascade

zb39

Adventurer
I ordered both of these back in Feb 21, they both came in about a week apart in late april. I have another 5500 with a switch N go bed system on it. I use the dump bed or the flatbed. I also had a 5500 with another Host on it and pic are still on this board. I picked up the truck and got the bed installed. I then drove to NC to pick up the cascade from D&H. Brought it home with zero issues. The factory back up camera is awesome. I will be flat towing my 2019 JLR that is set up for it as well as camping. I had made an appointment at kelderman a few months back and it was for the first week of June. I loaded up the camper and went out. I got the full package. 4 link in the back and full air ride in the front all tied together with the 3H computer controller.
3 preset ride heights. Low, med and high. Normal is medium. I also can raise or lower all corners independently. You can even use your phone to run it all. Has dual compressors and dual 2.5 gal air tanks. Also has quick disconect for air tools. Also gives all air bags and tank PSI readings. Truck ride is fantastic, I could not be happier with it. I ordered the truck with Laramie package, 6.7 cummins, aisin tranny, heated and cooles leather, top radio with nav and speaker package, and a bunch of other stuff to make road trips comfortable. Also dual tanks to hold 74 gal of diesel. I had a CM RD bed on my last truck. I wanted the skirted bed because it came with 4 nice boxes and I think it looks better. The truck now has 3k miles on it and I love it.

zb39

Adventurer
I got the host because I had a mammoth before and liked the quality. It carries 65 gal of water, 32 gray, and 32 black. Lots of storage, electric fireplace and AC. Fully self contained. We got the convection microwave and the propane cook top with propane oven. My wife loves a gas cook top and she bakes a lot. She has dual Jenn Air stoves at home with electric convection ovens but gas cook tops. I find propane to work very well for us. The camper has two 7.5 gal tanks and I can carry more if needed, I have never needed to in 30 years. We have comfortable places to sit inside if the weather is bad. Are needs for traveling are, our own bed, bathroom, and shower. They all need to be readily available, with little to no set up. Trust me we have done plenty of back packing and tent camping. We have been traveling(overlanding) for many years and RV's work well for us. 49 states and 42 out of 62 national parks. Plus almost all of Canada. This is number 11 RV and we still have number 10, but that is a different rig.
This camper will allow us to get out in winter more and also quick trips that we do. Sometimes I go myself different places she doesn't want to go. I had 6 6 volt batts and a 4K inverter in the last one. I could run everything in the camper including the AC. I'm not sure how I will set this one up yet. I never order the gen set because there expensive and I don't like to run them on propane. They use a lot. Easier to get a decent gasoline inverter genset and use it when you need to. The truck has dual 440 amp alternators also. It has a 1K inverter already setup for TV's and DVD. The inverter is there but I will install my own TV and player. We like a movie at night sometimes if the weather is bad.

Last edited:

zb39

Adventurer
I'm sure this rig is not right for everybody. But it works very well for us. Our goal is to travel comfortably and to get out and see and do new things. We live on 50 acres outside of a very small town(less than 1200 people). Our nearest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away and they are great people. Our goal is not to get as far away as possible, but to experience new things. If we really want to get out I'll take the JLR.

ripperj

Explorer
I like it, nice rig.
I could probably actually get my wife to go with me if I had something like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zb39

Adventurer
Having spent some time in it. We are very happy with our choice. Heading out again in a week or so and Maine in november.

Doslocos

Nice, I am in process of building something similar. Couple questions, is the truck 60" CA? How much space between the front of the camper and the headache rack? thanks

Doslocos

Also one other question, in the above picture of the rear suspension setup there looks to be a black 2x4 on top of
the frame rails. Was this installed between the frame rails of the truck and the cm bed?

zb39

Adventurer
I will get a measurement tonight. Yes 2x4 was installed by the bed people. I don't know if it was needed, but it did raise the bed another 1.5 inches. Not really an issue for me.

zb39

Adventurer
I have 60 inch CA. My bed is 9feet 4 inches long. I can get camper slid forward until I am close to my gray drain pipe hitting bed. This leaves a 6.25 inch gap from the front of the bumper stops built in from Host and the front of the bed. Bumper stops are 2 inches long. So gap is 8.25 inches. I measured once and I think the camper slides on for 8 feet 10 inches.

Doslocos

I have 60 inch CA. My bed is 9feet 4 inches long. I can get camper slid forward until I am close to my gray drain pipe hitting bed. This leaves a 6.25 inch gap from the front of the bumper stops built in from Host and the front of the bed. Bumper stops are 2 inches long. So gap is 8.25 inches. I measured once and I think the camper slides on for 8 feet 10 inches.

Great thanks for taking the time to do that. I have the same length bed. I really like the layout of the cascade. The search continues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz