2022 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

VirginiaDoug

Preface:

HUH!? Yes. I heart my pacifica. This is my third Chrysler “minivan”. I am addicted to the stow-and-go seating. I have had two dressed engines in there at once, nearly four yards of bagged mulch, people, gear, all the things. Seats fold in a moment and accommodate a twin mattress with room to spare. Car camping on steroids. No need to break camp to stow the RTT if we need to run for supplies or whatever.

It’s an odd choice for overlanding but the AWD system is pretty legit - 100% of engine torque can be sent to the rear wheels. Once complete, I hope to comfortably take this (most) anywhere I’d take a proper 4WD vehicle, knowing I didn’t have 4LO to bail me out. So, “overlanding lite.”

The new AWD models come stock with 3.73 final-drive/axle-ratios and should run a 32 at a slightly lower ratio than the FWD models with their 3.25 ratio. 32s will be tight but clear with some “massaging.” I have a Journey’s Off Road spacer lift on hand. Scored a set of take-offs from a Gladiator with (metric) 32x10x18” tires. Between the tires and lift, I should net 10” of ground clearance to the exhaust and would net another inch or more if I weld in a v-band for removal of the tailpipe before outings.

And that’s the plan! Here are some pictures of loads I’ve run in my old Pacifica, and some test fitting of the tires at the expected ride height. Stay tuned!!!

D6BED2E9-D3CC-49D5-883F-7C8BA01413F1.jpegBF1EFAD8-8CFD-41B2-ABA4-13C2E1E8B072.jpegAA6534F9-493D-489A-AAE5-0E0F28504A83.jpeg1CA8F203-4556-4512-BE56-E34964762838.jpegAFC0149C-7628-40B0-AAA5-8EC0F4D5A0B2.jpeg2F64AFC7-55FE-4053-9134-26F8E421BF6F.jpeg60C59F60-5710-48FB-9958-27A9F56ED8C4.jpeg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Interesting build. I've never understood why off-road minivans never really caught on in the US. When I was in the Middle East I drove a Mitsubishi "space gear" 4wd van with a 5 speed manual transmission and a 2 speed transfer case. It was a hoot! I wish we had vehicles like that here.

VirginiaDoug

Interesting build. I've never understood why off-road minivans never really caught on in the US. When I was in the Middle East I drove a Mitsubishi "space gear" 4wd van with a 5 speed manual transmission and a 2 speed transfer case. It was a hoot! I wish we had vehicles like that here.

I love those things! And “Why?” indeed! I had to visit dealers 90+ minutes away just to find an AWD model that wasn’t a $60k loaded package. The stigma on minivans is so pervasive, it would take VW bringing nostalgia to bear with a Wesfalia Routan or something to generate even remote interest.

Meanwhile, this pacifica is otherwise the most practical vehicle on the planet. For a vehicle that prides itself on practicality, you’d think some marketing exec (especially as part of the bonkers Dodge/Jeep family) would see the utility in a small “lift” and a bit more tire. I mean, add an option to lock the center diff and this thing is already super close

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Nice! We had a 2018 Pacifica S with all of the gizmos that served us well through Covid lockdowns. We dropped the middle seats many times for Chick Fil A picnics in the van. That thing ate up miles on the highway too! Honestly, one of the main reasons we got rid of it was tow capacity (1500lbs) and electronic glitches. It only had 35k miles, and the infotainment would glitch regularly, locking out features that probably should have been buttons or knobs anyway (sucks having the seat heaters on high and no way to turn them off!).

I often thought that if I could get one in a true 4x4 with say 6,000lb tow capacity, it would be the perfect everything vehicle.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
This post was exactly what I was looking for. I have a 2000 LX on 285..yada yada, and while I absolutely adore it, it doesn’t get used to a fraction of its capabilities. Here in western NC there are certainly roads where having true 4wd is essential, but 98% of my travels include passing a Prius on groomed forest roads. The space in a van given its footprint is incredible. I’m looking at a Plug in Pacifica as I don’t really think I’ll need awd. A huge plus would be being able to plug in at a campsite and get a charge on road-trips. Seeing this thing gobble engines has about sold me!

gatorgrizz27

Cool build. I’m jealous of some of the stuff other countries get, like practical vehicles rather than “you can roll the windows down from your phone!” and “this tailgate has 17 cameras and a flip out TV!”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles