2022 Ford Ranger

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
First time I've seen reg cab long box spy shots. Not sure if North America will get this version. In the photos it almost looks a big as a T100 or 1st gen Tundra. Article says it will be a bit bigger than the current one.

2022-ford-ranger-single-cab-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100793827_h.jpg

CoreyHendo

It seems crazy to me that they'd be going after fleet vehicles in four segments:
  • Compact with the Maverick
  • Mid-size with the Ranger
  • Full-size with the F150
  • Heavy Duty with the F250+
I could see wanting a F150 in a regular cab short bed configuration for sport truck stuff, but I don't see many regular consumers (non-fleet) going after those configurations. Maybe there is a much bigger call for them?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It seems crazy to me that they'd be going after fleet vehicles in four segments:
  • Compact with the Maverick
  • Mid-size with the Ranger
  • Full-size with the F150
  • Heavy Duty with the F250+
I could see wanting a F150 in a regular cab short bed configuration for sport truck stuff, but I don't see many regular consumers (non-fleet) going after those configurations. Maybe there is a much bigger call for them?
Depends on the intended use. They also over cab / chassis E and F series as well as Transits for fleet use as well.

T-Willy

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Little less camo.

2023-ford-ranger-teaser.jpg

Sounds like it will debut before the end of the year in Australia. But North America it will debut in 2022 as a 2023?

From what I've read it sounds like it will be a little bit bigger than the current truck. So, I'm thinking that will make it pretty close in size to a '01-'03 F150 SuperCrew?

Might be one to consider as well as a 1/2 ton. Especially since they are supposed to be coming out with a PHEV version.

85_Ranger4x4

It would have to grow quite a bit to be similar size to a 99-03 F-150.

As someone who has an '02 F-150 and wants to get something similar as opposed to the modern "bolder than anybody has bolded before" blocky junk and initially fell in love with it... Ranger was a bit of a letdown after a closer examination.

My F-150 flat out dwarfs it in every way imaginable. Ok, they are about the same height to the roof/top of the bed but mine has almost 200k miles of "if it fits it ships" and has self leveled itself over the years of playing farm truck. Cockpit of the Ranger screw is underwhelming really, not much wider inside than my '85 and not as long dash to back of back seat as my wife's Edge (aka more cramped than the Edge with car seats in the back) Overall wheel base is within inches of a old Supercab Ranger.

Everybody wants them to be a half ton so bad... they have a long ways to grow.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Ah okay. Never seen them side by side. It looks like the 01-03 supercrew is smaller than the current truck (15-21).

Thought the next ranger might be closer as I hear it was supposed to grow a bit from the current version.

Chorky

Observer

As someone who has an '02 F-150 and wants to get something similar as opposed to the modern "bolder than anybody has bolded before" blocky junk and initially fell in love with it... Ranger was a bit of a letdown after a closer examination.

My F-150 flat out dwarfs it in every way imaginable. Ok, they are about the same height to the roof/top of the bed but mine has almost 200k miles of "if it fits it ships" and has self leveled itself over the years of playing farm truck. Cockpit of the Ranger screw is underwhelming really, not much wider inside than my '85 and not as long dash to back of back seat as my wife's Edge (aka more cramped than the Edge with car seats in the back) Overall wheel base is within inches of a old Supercab Ranger.

Gonna have to disagree with your last statement there. Man I miss the size of the old Ranger's and wish they had that size back with the capability of the new one. or if nothng else at least lowering the body height and bedside height a good foot at least. Although the new one isn't really a 'compact' anymore. I do like the capacities it does have a lot - to me fits the bill almost perfectly. Probably going to try and pick one up here still within a few years. But i wish they were shorter, and a tad narrower. The bed height is totally obnoxious to me. The older ones were perfect when a shorter guy like myself could still easily reach over the bed without having to stand on a 3' stool. I can only think the high bed sides and short windows have something to do with crash test ratings. But man I sure wish they had modern stuff in a older style Ranger. That being said I am really glad Ford brought this thing back and IMO it is far superior (well depending on needs) than the Tacoma. I just hope they dont turn it into some ugly pretend tonka toy, or ruin it into some sort of weird Maverick looking thing.

Imo, new trucks are obese .
Couldn't agree with you more. its insane to me how 'big' the new trucks are without having such a crazy capacity change. It's more looks than anything else. Of course the physical components of the frame/suspension, etc. is stronger usually, and the weights are restricted by federal highway policies, etc. but its, IMO, terrible how 'big' and 'beafy' many of them are starting to look. all show no go is a old term that comes to mind.

85_Ranger4x4

Gonna have to disagree with your last statement there. Man I miss the size of the old Ranger's and wish they had that size back with the capability of the new one. or if nothng else at least lowering the body height and bedside height a good foot at least. Although the new one isn't really a 'compact' anymore. I do like the capacities it does have a lot - to me fits the bill almost perfectly. Probably going to try and pick one up here still within a few years. But i wish they were shorter, and a tad narrower. The bed height is totally obnoxious to me. The older ones were perfect when a shorter guy like myself could still easily reach over the bed without having to stand on a 3' stool. I can only think the high bed sides and short windows have something to do with crash test ratings. But man I sure wish they had modern stuff in a older style Ranger. That being said I am really glad Ford brought this thing back and IMO it is far superior (well depending on needs) than the Tacoma. I just hope they dont turn it into some ugly pretend tonka toy, or ruin it into some sort of weird Maverick looking thing.

Couldn't agree with you more. its insane to me how 'big' the new trucks are without having such a crazy capacity change. It's more looks than anything else. Of course the physical components of the frame/suspension, etc. is stronger usually, and the weights are restricted by federal highway policies, etc. but its, IMO, terrible how 'big' and 'beafy' many of them are starting to look. all show no go is a old term that comes to mind.

No not that way. It seems everybody has to hype up how much bigger the 19+ is compared to the older ones. Even Ford.

And the media likes to blather that a 19+ Ranger is a new old F-150 for size.

And IMO... it ain't.

Maybe it is an attempt to help justify the maverick, I don't know.

It irritates me though.

Dougnuts

Here's my 13th gen vs. my Dad's 10th gen. Keep in mind, mine has Fox suspension and 34's. It was much lower prior to those modifications. The 10th gen (5.4L Triton) has stock size (small!) tires.

Say what you want about the size (I said the same when the 2004's came out), but my truck is bigger, stronger, significantly faster and 25% more fuel efficient. With the backup camera and proximity sensors, it’s easier to park than my Dad’s truck, which I drove for 8 weeks this summer.

IMG_0107 by Douglas Bunge II, on Flickr

Last edited:

Grassland

The 99-11s had a really shallow bed. And the 08-11 were a bit lower from factory due to shallow blocks and different torsion bar settings.
The bed was narrow and short. The cab even in SCAB form was a 2 person and gear cab, not sit 4. The RWD/4WD drivetrain was really the only sell, outside of looks. They really sucked on gas with the 4.slow as well. But I guess they were narrow enough to fit in tight trails. I did enjoy rolling down my manual passenger window while buckled in to the driver seat. I can't reach the passenger door on my F150

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles