235/85/16? Let's see them

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
No idea. I just installed this setup recently. For an older tire, the Firestones handle gravel really nice. No random tail wagging down gravel, they hold nice and straight. Bit loud compared to other MT's but not as loud as STT Pro or KM2 tires however. I'll find out in a month or two when the snow/freezing rain starts.

daly

It's not a 4x4 world expedition truck, but it gets me places and it has 235/85r16's.

It's a 2wd c2500, one of the odd ball trucks GM made in the 90's, it's basically a 1500 with 6 bolt wheels. I lifted the front with a 4" spindle from Canuck Motorsports and the back with a 3" block. It's a fun and reliable old Chevy. Still has the original ball joints, they were tight when I changed the spindle so I left them. Only part I hd to change was the tie rods.

GoinBoardin

Observer
235/85R16 WildPeak AT3W's on a 96' F150. Best snow/ice traction I've had yet. This size works well on this truck. I have noticed air pressure matters more than when I had 33x10.5R15 BFG's though, so if switching to this size be sure to have a portable compressor too.

5153.jpeg

20171013_183506.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
As high as 65 rear with camper stuffed full of gear (highway) or hauling firewood, 35 empty highway, 25 with camper off road, 15 empty off road.
Little update: 65psi was too high, and wearing the tire centers. I'm now down to 42psi rear 40psi front with even wear, and no undue tire heat. Speaking of wear, I'm getting ~2400 miles per 1/32 of tread, not great but could be worse. The truck weighs roughly 6500lbs on a trip, nearly balanced front to rear, with no funny tire wear issues. Off road, 20psi works well all around with the camper on board and driving slow. I'll add, these Falkens are really a great tire until you encounter mud. Then it doesn't matter if aired down, they do not grab. My rear axle is locked and it still just churns with no bite. Rocks? They're great, wet or dry. But the low void tread loads up quick in mud. For reference, my last set of tires were BFG AT KO, in a 33x10.5, and those blew these Falken AT tires away in mud. I prefer the Falken everywhere else though.

DJB1

I've had Cooper ST Maxx 235/85r16's for 3 years and 25,000 miles now. They're wearing really well, they're decent on pavement and excellent off pavement, especially aired down a bit. The slight hit to MPG is so worth it for the traction and tough sidewalls.

IMG_24142.jpgsteelie2.JPGsigpic2.jpgIMG_0494.JPG

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Falken Wildpeaks AT3s on stock steel wheels, I'm running 3 sets of these tires right now on different trucks, they seem pretty great on ice, snow and the highway, all around a very good tire. I am rediscovering the old school, tall skinny, no frills, industrial expedition looking tires like back in the day when gear was meant to work without complaint.

SnowedIn

Observer
I've been using this size with ******** Cepek Extreme Country tires this winter - as long as you're not deep enough to firmly high-center, they're like magic. I've had to get out the recovery gear for a few people with oversized AT's who assumed they'd have no issue following a smaller vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles