240 amp H1 alternator for classic range rover

REDROVER

Explorer
hi lades and gentleman , i just got back from my 2000 mile ( well 1870 miles to be exact ) beautiful trip to northern calif. half way my friend joined me , it was absolutely beautiful 10 days true forests and hills and rivers .

my rover did with no ifs and buts , but her classic alternator went out , and it was almost impossible to find another one in northern Shasta county. tnx to my spare parts i had another alternator 240 amp for my Hummer that also fits on my 6.2. we made that fit , and i was surprised how easy it was and it worked just fine.

alternator went out in the middle of nowhere inside the forest trail. we manged to drive to near by town, i could always give her one of my charged batters and kept going, but we decided to change it.

all we had to do is make one bracket . take my spare power steering belt and one longer bolt, and back on the road :) about 20 min work

i wanted to share with you guys so if one day u run out in to this kind of situation , remember that AC DELCO alternator from hummer fits on classic rover with few simple change

Attachments

• mt shasta 004.jpg
    mt shasta 004.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 34
  • mt shasta 005.jpg
    mt shasta 005.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 27
  • mt shasta 006.jpg
    mt shasta 006.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 22
  • mt shasta 007.jpg
    mt shasta 007.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 29
  • mt shasta 008.jpg
    mt shasta 008.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 31
  • mt shasta 009.jpg
    mt shasta 009.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 33
  • mt shasta 010.jpg
    mt shasta 010.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 43
  • mt shasta 013.jpg
    mt shasta 013.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 28

REDROVER

Explorer
more pics

Attachments

• mt shasta 011.jpg
    mt shasta 011.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 16
  • mt shasta 012.jpg
    mt shasta 012.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 12
  • mt shasta 035.jpg
    mt shasta 035.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 17
  • mt shasta 038.jpg
    mt shasta 038.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 12
  • mt shasta 042.jpg
    mt shasta 042.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 14
  • mt shasta 034.jpg
    mt shasta 034.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 14

MattScott

Approved Vendor
There's part of me that feels like 240 amps through an english wiring harness designed for significantly less might not be a fantastic idea....

But props on the bush fix.

REDROVER

Explorer
Mat you may be right. I think outside looks of that alternator is what comes to play. One can always ask for lower amp unit. If it's made by ac Delco for older gm truck it should fit

However I don't think land rover wires are that bad not to handle 240 amps haha

Ronct110

Adventurer
Good work. Winch, fridge, lights must be liking the upgrade.

I upgraded the stock 80 amp to newer 140 amp from British Parts of Utah; cost me $199 a few years ago.

Considered the AC Delco part #334-1875 for the RRC but at $150; decided to go for the 140 amp for another $49.

What's the part # and how much is the AC Delco 240amp alternator for the H1?

Also looks like a nice trip to Mt Shasta and city of Weed. I get a kick-out of the name every time passing thru Weed.

REDROVER

Explorer
Isn't it funny that at the city of weed .weed is illegal lol

The alternator for the hummer is about 270 bucks but for emergency if u can't find one for land rover it can be used. And I am almost positive that the outside shape of that alternator is similar to other lower amp ac Delco alternators

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
There's part of me that feels like 240 amps through an english wiring harness designed for significantly less might not be a fantastic idea....
Depends on what the vehicle is drawing.
If it never draws more than what the stock alternator puts out there wouldn't be an issue. If it puts out more, like if there's an electric winch being used, there will just be some higher than ideal volt drop on the alternator to battery cable, which is easily replaced with larger. Replace it with a #4 and you're good to go even running a winch.

blue bomber

Adventurer

But props on the bush fix.

The 240 amp is "potential" . The electrical load hasn't changed. The alternator just doesn't have to work as hard as a a lower amp alternator. I put a140 amp Bosch on my 88 Range and added a heavy gauge wire direct to the battery. No extra current is run through the system. As long as all of your electrical extra dodads have their own circuits and circuit protection ,all should be well with later rover electrical systems. The same cannot be said about the old rigs . I used a painless harness and relays with my series two.

Glad you had a great trip. Northern California can't be beat. This stupid app won't let me see your pics :-(
Cheers, Matthew
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343311741.790862.jpg

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
As long as all of your electrical extra dodads have their own circuits and circuit protection ,all should be well with later rover electrical systems. The same cannot be said about the old rigs .
I'm not sure what you're saying exactly, but even on an old Series Rover with a 35a generator all you'd need to upgrade is the alternator to battery (or fuse box) cable.

blue bomber

Adventurer
I'm not sure what you're saying exactly, but even on an old Series Rover with a 35a generator all you'd need to upgrade is the alternator to battery (or fuse box) cable.

Light gauge low strand wires, non sealed connections, precious few grounds and a dynamo!!
Need I say more.

Yes, you are right . I suppose you could bypass all of the original crap. But it's foolish to keep the original harness. I kept the original dash board and switches. I just used superior wire,soldered ( no cheap and nasty Lucass crimps) all connections and used weather pack relays for anything that carried any type of load. Not mention lots of grounds!! Lucas, prince of darkness wasn't conjured up for a laugh, it's based on fact.

tImageUploadedByTapatalk1343488798.651499.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343489532.425579.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343489532.425579.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Light gauge low strand wires, non sealed connections, precious few grounds and a dynamo!!
That may be, and someone might want to upgrade all that for various reasons, but using a high output alternator won't have any bearing on the vehicle wiring, aside from the alternator to battery cable.
If nothing is drawing 35a, it's not suddenly going to start just because the vehicle had a high amp alternator installed. That was what I was saying.

aka rover

Adventurer
Well if you put a higher amp alt in a rig there are several conditions that can draw more than the 35 amps. A low battery will draw more than 35 amps, or jump starting another vehicle etc. lots of ways that a new larger alt could over tax the stock wireing.

To each there own.. I recommend upgrading the wireing when installing a high amp alt.

Just my .02

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Even if you're operating a 450A electric winch, tell me where that 240amp is going to go, other than through the alt->battery cable (which I said should be upgraded), that would require you to upgrade your vehicle wiring.
You could install a ten billion amp alternator and that 5 watt tail light is still only going to draw 5 watts.

For the OP, if I'm reading the ETM correctly the stock alternator to fuse box wire is 15mm2 which is midway between #6 and #4. So using the smaller #6 as the figure, at full alternator output there would be a volt drop of 0.38v which is acceptable (I'm estimating a 4' cable length).
#4 would give a volt drop of 0.29v which might be worth going to if there are loads often requiring the full 240a output of the alternator.
Of course, these are new wire figures. If your existing alternator to fuse box cable is corroded, then the volt drop will be greater so it would be good changing it if it is. But you could go with an OE cable without issue. Not that I would because you can go larger aftermarket for less money than OE.

Last edited:

REDROVER

Explorer
over the years i learned one thing about land rover owners they love to cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. and stick with the original part, even tho it can be junk.

my rover is 100% not original em i happy? hell yes i am happy . 240 amp alternator kicks a.ss and rover runs beautiful, .

we am not going to spend 300 bucks on some Lucas crap and wait 5 days in the middle of nowhere when i can get my good old American part and done deal.

enjoy your rovers . :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles