255/85's on Fullsize trucks. Pics please

ExpoMike

I had seriously considered the 255/85-16 but with the limited number of models out there, I was worried that if I needed one while on the road, it would be fairly hard to find one. The 285/75-16 is much more common and likely to find in any medium to large town. That's what made my decision.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I was doing a search on Tire Rack the other night, and couldnt find too many in the 255/85 range, but switching to 235/85 and it pulls up dozens of different models

Dale

Adventurer
I have 235/85/16 Good Year Silent Armor on my F250 but I live in SW PA where we have wet sticky snow that turns to ice when compressed and soft top soil. My personal preference for this area is tall and skinny. I had 315's BFG AT on my Ram 2500 and got stuck all the time. It really depends what you want to do with them

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I was doing a search on Tire Rack the other night, and couldnt find too many in the 255/85 range, but switching to 235/85 and it pulls up dozens of different models

Yes, the 235/85R16 was always a much more popular size, it was the heavy-duty OE tire on trucks for years, and will offer many more options. The 255/85R16 is a niche tire these days and availability is poor.

random

Observer
Yes, the 235/85R16 was always a much more popular size, it was the heavy-duty OE tire on trucks for years, and will offer many more options. The 255/85R16 is a niche tire these days and availability is poor.

You can say that again, I had one of mine blow a sidewall and missed a day of work tracking down the last two in the state!

Here is a picture of mine, with Dunlops. A very boring picture, but I never do manage to get any offroad shots, might have to change that this weekend.

photo (4).JPG

flufferion

I apologize for the somewhat offtopic post, but where did you get those front wheels? Are they factory equipment on some older truck (being 16.5") or did you have them widened at a custom wheel shop? My fiance has a diesel dually with a rather heavy front bumper to boot, and it could definitely use some more floatation up front. Also, he's currently running 265/75 steers and 235/85 drives, and he found out that while his old highway-friendly 235 drives didn't touch sidewalls the new all-terrain ones do touch noticeably when loaded heavy - 255s will be impossible for him to run then, because they would be firmly against each other. How did you solve this issue, with bolt-on spacers between inner and outer wheels?

docb14

Fondness for the "tall and skinny"

Question: I run kelly safari TSR 315 70 R17 tires on my truck and love them (2004 Z71 ext cab with rancho 4 inch lift), is there a tire that has the height of a 35 inch tire but not my current width? or to put it another way, a 35 inch tall and narrow tire?

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Super Swampers are available in a 35 x 10 - 16. Aside from that, you'd start moving into the realm of commercial tires.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Q-78-16 is tall and narrow

Q78-16’s are a great tire size. 35.5 tall and about 10 wide. I’ve been running them for years on 7” wide wheels. The only problem is about the only manufacturer that still makes that size is Interco with their Super Swamper bias ply TSL. Air them down to 12 psi and they form to obstacles like hot caramel and stick like glue. Nothing wrong with those tires other than on the highway any steering wheel input is just a mere suggestion to the tires as to which way you would like to turn and they are only good for about 10,000 miles if you're lucky, especially with a rear Detroit locker. I only bolt my Q78 Swampers on for local trips to the mountains then run 315/75R16 Kumho all-terrains for long distance runs. You can’t beat Super Swamper TSL’s for the snow and deep mud though. They work great for the Colorado Mountains!

6015711311_f463436550_z.jpg

6225275789_35942df953_z.jpg

The cheap AT's for long distance runs... not so tall and skinny :( I don't think there is a perfect tire for everything. A guy almost needs two sets tires on two sets of wheels.
5895699435_b958a1892b_z.jpg

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
I agree Q78's are great. They used to (maybe they still do) have that size in the old school Buckshot mudder. If I could find that size in a modern 10ply radial I would be in heaven :drool:

JoshG

I think it was post 70, but someone was talking about 2mpg difference from a stock 245/75r16 tire to a 255/85r16...2 miles less or more?

My diesel suburban has 4.10 gears and at 65 mph it runs almost 2300 rpm's and I was hoping switching to 255's (3" taller) would reduce my rpm's and give me better fuel mileage. I figured this would be cheaper and easier that switching to 3.73 gears (or my friend suggests 3.42 gears)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Question: I run kelly safari TSR 315 70 R17 tires on my truck and love them (2004 Z71 ext cab with rancho 4 inch lift), is there a tire that has the height of a 35 inch tire but not my current width? or to put it another way, a 35 inch tall and narrow tire?

There are a few, but they aren't cheap and I've only been able to find them in Goodyear, Nitto and Toyo. The other problem is 18" rims, which if you are buying new, is not too bad, but if you have the "perfect" rims now, then you have to buy rims again. There are two sizes that are close in size.

285/75R18E= 35x11.2" (Goodyear MTR/Toyo)
295/70R18E= 34.5 x 11.7" (Nitto)

Both are less than 12" wide and the Nitto's are cheaper than their 35 x 12.50R18's.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94