2k quiet gendrators

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Are there any other people here don't even use generators?

For planned, even multi-month trips we have never used one, nor do we carry one.

Once we hit the road full time, year round, we will bring the little 2kEU Honda, and only to recharge the batteries when camped for extended periods, with little to no sun (winter)
We currently use our camper a lot during the winter, but we tend to move every day. This reduces the dependency upon solar. Park it for more than just a few days, and you start getting hungry for power.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I bought a pair of champion 2000's from Sam's Club back about 6 years ago when they first came out. At the time, they seemed to have been very well made and they were exceptionally quiet and smooth. But, two of them tied together in parallel could not carry my single A/C unit on my toy hauler trailer. The A/C unit would start up and then kick the circuit breakers out on the generators after about 10 seconds. I was very disappointed when I had to return them... :-(

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

The first Champion 2k inverter gens had a problem with that. Eventually Champion released an updated control module to fix it. If you sent them the original module, they'd send you back one with the updated programming.

The first Champion 2k inverter gens had a problem with that. Eventually Champion released an updated control module to fix it. If you sent them the original module, they'd send you back one with the updated programming.
Good to know. Thanks.

MOguy

Explorer
I'm still on a page about people going on remote expeditions in the wilderness, right? Are there any other people here don't even use generators?

Take another look at where you are posting. This part of the forum is titled "Power systems: 12v, Solar, Gen." Based on that I would suspect many of the people reading this post either use a generator or have some sort of Interest or thoughts about using a generator in the future.

I intentionally posted in this part of the form because it is about Power Systems such as a generator.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
It is perfectly valid to be philosophically opposed to high-tech gear and lots of electrical usage while "on expedition".

But I don't think it serves any useful purpose sharing those feelings on this type of howto thread.

MOguy

Explorer
It is perfectly valid to be philosophically opposed to high-tech gear and lots of electrical usage while "on expedition".

But I don't think it serves any useful purpose sharing those feelings on this type of howto thread.
If we're going to get philosophical why not discuss the difference people see in an Expedition versus overlanding versus an adventure verses camping while roading. But that would be an entirely different discussion and not relevant to this post or this part of the form.

dreadlocks

eh, even most historical expeditions coulda been considered Glamping by modern standards, the only reason they didnt make a sherpa carry a generator is because nobody had invented one yet.. you can bet your sweet asses the early explorers woulda brought electricity if they had it available to em so conveniently as a 2k genset.

Id rather have a fridge than have nothing but highly preserved food stores.. when I wanna get all minimalistic I go backpacking.

dcg141

Adventurer
I have a Honda and carry it every where. I have solar and batteries but the fail safe is always the 2k. I have a Honda because I traded for one and figured out that you can rig the fuel cap so that you can draw fuel from an auxiliary can and eliminate the only downside to those units. You probably can modify the Yamaha as well but have not looked close at one. Personally I think both units are worth the money. My deal is you can get parts to service both wo issues. The Chinese stuff is a crap shoot in that area.

Last edited:
I have a Honda and carry it every where. I have solar and batteries but the fail safe is always the 2k. I have a Honda because I traded for one and figured out that you can rig the fuel cap so that you can draw fuel from an auxiliary can and eliminate the only downside to those units. You probably can modify the Yamaha as well but have not looked close at one.
Do you have a picture of your gas cap modification that you could post. I want to expand the duration beyond the onboard tank on my generator.

dcg141

Adventurer
Do you have a picture of your gas cap modification that you could post. I want to expand the duration beyond the onboard tank on my generator.

Well I went to the find the video on YT that I found to do mine and look what I found Honda Cap The mod cost more than that does.

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
The Honda's tank is lower than the carb so it has to use a vacuum fuel pump. So with that cap you can draw fuel out of another can. It will crate a suction just like one on a lawn mower tank. In fact if you really want a cool setup go to your local Husqvarna Lawn dealer and order part #'s 576469201 and 539105245. That is a zero turn pickup tube and grommet. Most new mowers pick up fuel from the top of the tank instead of draining it at the bottom. Drill a hole in your plastic fuel can just smaller than the grommet and cut the pickup tube so it goes to the bottom of the can. Its going to be much longer than you need. Now put the grommet in the hole and push the pickup tube thru the grommet. Hook a 1/4 in ID fuel hose from the cap to the pickup tube and vent the can.

Well I went to the find the video on YT that I found to do mine and look what I found Honda Cap The mod cost more than that does.
I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. I'm pretty sure these types of generators are simply gravity feed to the carburetor. As such, it would need any extended range fuel tank to be gravity fed to the cap. But the picture on the listing seems to show the hose extending below the tank as it goes off the picture. I want to run off my BIG tank on the truck. I would probably need some kind of pressure feed system but I want to be careful about the fact that any unnoticed leak could result in a huge amount of hazardous fuel around and underneath the area of the generator...

dcg141

Adventurer
I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. I'm pretty sure these types of generators are simply gravity feed to the carburetor. As such, it would need any extended range fuel tank to be gravity fed to the cap. But the picture on the listing seems to show the hose extending below the tank as it goes off the picture. I want to run off my BIG tank on the truck. I would probably need some kind of pressure feed system but I want to be careful about the fact that any unnoticed leak could result in a huge amount of hazardous fuel around and underneath the area of the generator...

The Honda is not gravity fed, It uses a vacuum style fuel pump. In fact most new lawn mowers use the same setup and draw fuel from a tank vs gravity feeds. Its no more prone to leak than the average zero turn mower..but you do have to draw fuel from the top of whatever tank you want to use. Mine has run for hours nonstop with out any leaks. Its much safer than a gravity feed system.

The Honda's tank is lower than the carb so it has to use a vacuum fuel pump. So with that cap you can draw fuel out of another can. It will crate a suction just like one on a lawn mower tank. In fact if you really want a cool setup go to your local Husqvarna Lawn dealer and order part #'s 576469201 and 539105245. That is a zero turn pickup tube and grommet. Most new mowers pick up fuel from the top of the tank instead of draining it at the bottom. Drill a hole in your plastic fuel can just smaller than the grommet and cut the pickup tube so it goes to the bottom of the can. Its going to be much longer than you need. Now put the grommet in the hole and push the pickup tube thru the grommet. Hook a 1/4 in ID fuel hose from the cap to the pickup tube and vent the can.
Now I'm really confused. Most fuel pumps create a vacuum to draw fuel in.

A variation on a fuel pump would be a pressure pump that pressurizes the fuel tank. But that would not be a very good idea as any sudden rupture of the tank would create an atomized fuel spray that would be extremely hazardous and explosive...

Also, I don't understand how a lawnmower can get its fuel from the top of the tank? The pickup tube must be near the bottom of the tank and won't pull in anything lower than that point...

dcg141

Adventurer
Fuel pump Its self contained and uses engine vacuum. The third line is for that. The other 2 go from the the tank to the carb. Its been in use for at least a decade or longer. The Honda uses that very same pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles