2K54X4 's Frontier build thread

2K54X4

Adventurer
The BN Guy said:
Instead of sheet metal screws I have two ammo cans mounted with bolts. Sturdy for sure. If you do a lot of wheeling, I think bolts might be better.

I was thinking that myself when I mounted them. I probably will bolt them sometime in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

2K54X4

Adventurer
ExploringNH said:
It looks like the cans fit pretty loosely in the AT holders. Do they tend to rattle around on rough roads and make a bunch of noise? Im interested in some sort of hold down system for mine and the AT stuff looks to be great quality.

The Wedco cans are a 'little' loose. The Sceptre cans fit snug. When full the Wedco's don't make much noise, but when empty they rattle a bit. It's kind of hard to hear though over the noise of the shackles banging against the bumper and my stereo. :)

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Now call me crazy but I actually used bronze toilet screws. Guaranteed not to rust. Don't recall exactly WHY I used them but I did and they've held. Also if you do this double nut the arrangement. They can come loose from all the vibrations. I didn't use lock-tite but that'd probably help.

2K54X4

Adventurer
The BN Guy said:
Now call me crazy but I actually used bronze toilet screws. Guaranteed not to rust. Don't recall exactly WHY I used them but I did and they've held. Also if you do this double nut the arrangement. They can come loose from all the vibrations. I didn't use lock-tite but that'd probably help.

I appreciate the advice. Having a virtually unlimited supply of bolts where I work should make quick and easy work of my 'remounting'.

I am slightly concerned about the head of the bolt rubbing against the bottom of the cans though. Is this not an issue with your setup?

2K54X4

Adventurer
Well after waiting well over a month (four emails...no response) for my 4x4mods.com switches to show. I decided to dispute my purchase with Paypal and get my money back and go elsewhere. I found these switches ( http://www.otrattw.com/ ) that seem to be of better quality anyway. Their customer service was nothing short of phenominal. My switches were shipped the same morning I ordered them. So I should finally have my lights wired and working for this weekend.

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone wanting to order switches. Stay clear of 4x4mods. This is the second time (stupid me) I've dealt with their horrible customer service.

Creek

Adventurer
I've heard of several people having the same problem with 4x4mods. It's really a shame.

When I ordered my switches a year ago, they showed up with no problems - and I really love their switches.

2K54X4

Adventurer
Creek said:
I've heard of several people having the same problem with 4x4mods. It's really a shame.

When I ordered my switches a year ago, they showed up with no problems - and I really love their switches.

It is a shame. And I really liked their switches too. But man, this guy sure can come up with some excuses. The first time I ordered from him I was told he was snowed in and had a power outage (for 2 months!). This time his excuse was his internet ordering wasn't working (although it worked well enough to take my money).

Anyhow, I received my OTRATTW switches today in the mail and am very happy with how these look. They feel slightly heavier than the 4x4mods switches too. Hopefully I can get these mounted soon.

Anyone wants a never-been-used 4x4mods switch, let me know. I'll be happy to send it to anyone who needs one.

OTRATTW dual light switches:

P1030001.jpg

Last edited:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
2K54X4 said:
I appreciate the advice. Having a virtually unlimited supply of bolts where I work should make quick and easy work of my 'remounting'.

I am slightly concerned about the head of the bolt rubbing against the bottom of the cans though. Is this not an issue with your setup?

Naw, I drilled holes in the ammo containers and put some rubber washers on them as well. This will help prevent water seepage as well as reduce vibrations on the box. One houses recovery gear and spare parts, the other has the OBA system.

2K54X4

Adventurer
Well after officially becoming a "ham" last week, it was time to install a radio. After many hours of reading reviews and Expo threads, I finally decided on the Expo favorite Yaesu 7800 and Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna. I won't ever be mistaken for an electrical genius so I pretty much followed Mark Stephens installation ideas verbatim. I'm still a 'little' unsure about the speaker location, but other than that it went smoothly.

Now for the pics:

The antenna-

ham2.jpg

The under-the front seat area:

ham1.jpg

The rest:

ham3.jpg

ham4.jpg

You're going to hate that speaker there. It's going to get in the way of your leg and make you quite uncomfortable.

I mounted my speaker for my Uniden BCT-8 TrunkTracker Scanner up on the dash to the left of the dash hump. Excellent because it stays out of my way and it's pointed right at the driver.

I'll get a pic today maybe.

And you guys are brave, I"m still afraid to pull my seats. :sombrero:

2K54X4

Adventurer
So far it really hasn't bothered me being there (I'm not exactly very tall though) . I'll make my final decision after a longer trip than the grocery store and back . As for the seat removal... It really is nothing .4 bolts... the easiest part of the install.

2K54X4

Adventurer
CoastalDefender said:
Picture time!

0921080953zl6.jpg

I'll keep that spot in mind if it does get to be annoying where it's at. The 3 holes left behind might just drive me crazier than the speaker though. :eek:

2K54X4 said:
I'll keep that spot in mind if it does get to be annoying where it's at. The 3 holes left behind might just drive me crazier than the speaker though. :eek:

That's the location I mounted the mini-CB. Scanner on the other side facing up (easier to access controls).

And the flatness of the CB is a great leg-rest on long trips.:archaeolo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior