2nd Generation Tundra Building

bjowett

Adventurer
Hello folks, welcome to my Tundra build! This thread is not only about the build up of a 2008 Tundra for do it all service, but hopefully to show others that the 2nd gen Tundra may be a good choice for their expedition travels - possibly even for the round the world types. I'll try to hit on the pros and cons of the truck along the way. I'm encouraging others to join in this thread with info, pics, criticisms etc.

First should probably the basic pros.

The biggy is that Tundra is heavily based on the latest generation 200 series Land Cruiser. Many wear and tear parts are proving to be interchangable between the two models despite having different part numbers. Wheel bearings, spindle/knuckle, sensors, seals, gaskets, filters... more to come I'm sure.

Although the truck rates for 1/2 ton service, most wear and tear items are quite oversized for this intended service. This is typical Toyota style for the Land Cruiser and thus the Tundra. Massive wheel bearings, huge 14" brakes, big axle shafts, U Joints and more.

Here are some good examples showing component size. The front wheel bearing, Tundra on the left, Ford Superduty on the right.
tundravsf250.jpg

Rear 10.5" Differential next to a 9.5" Land Cruiser.
tundradiff_003.jpg

I'll type more later, for now here is a picture of my truck as it sits.
wheelcaps.jpg

jim65wagon

Awesome! I'll be keeping an eye on this, too many people sell full-size trucks short for their capabilities. Now if my first gen had the 10.5 rear, the big front diff and a 5.7L motor I wouldn't be quite so jealous.

bjowett

Adventurer
Thanks Jim, I was begining to think there was no love around here for the 2nd gen. 1st gens are great trucks.

So with many overbuilt parts, durability should prove to be good. The sharing of much DNA with the sold world wide 200 series Land Cruiser could prove to be helpful if some parts are needed.

A small 35" tire will fit on an unlifted rig with minor mods, those are trimming the stock skid plate and some plastic removal. The 14" brakes have little trouble slowing down the larger meats. The big bearings also support them well. However being semi float, they are not serviceable... so it might not be a bad idea to carry one along, but one should be able get these from almost any Toyota dealer world wide.

The suspension on these trucks has much potential. The stock wheel travel measures about 10", pretty good for stock IFS. Bolt in coil overs will bring this to almost a foot. The rear leaf spring design needs no explaining.

How about some mods done to my truck?

I replaced the stock part time transfer case with a full time unit from a 200 series. On road traction is no longer an issue. The swap was fairly easy, an output flange swap and some mods to the electronic shift actuator were required.

Tundra vs. LC 200
tundravs200case.jpg

LC 200 case installed
tcase2.jpg

bjowett

Adventurer
There are no lockers currently available for the 10.5" diff. Actually, there are no traction devices at all. ARB has their air locker under development, pictures were published last year, but has put off production (specualting here), probably due to the economy. ARB will have the front locker available any time now, since the front diff is shared with the 200, which again is a worldwide vehicle, it has enough demand to be released. The rear ARB for the 100 series 9.5" diff is the same as the 200... it might fit the 9.5" rear axle that comes behind the smaller 4.7 and the new 4.6 Tundra. I've thought of swapping one in until something becomes available for the 10.5".

I should note the stock A-trac does a decent job taking the truck up things that would leave a truck w/o at the bottom... you have to know how to use it though, you won't be gracefully crawling.

CYi5

Explorer
That 200 Series transfer case doesn't mess around when it comes to heat sink fins.

suntinez

Explorer
I should note the stock A-trac does a decent job taking the truck up things that would leave a truck w/o at the bottom... you have to know how to use it though, you won't be gracefully crawling.

That's for sure! :elkgrin:

I have an 07 DC, longebd, 5.7L. I see a few people around here who have the 2nd gen Tundra, but no build threads. I'm very interested to watch yours evolve. Some mods - esp a lift! - are in my future. I had heard the 2nd gen Tundra shared some similarities to the 200series LC, didn't realize how much.

I'll be particularly interested to see any differences between the TRD and non-TRD versions if you wouldn't mind pointing those out along the way. No TRD package for longbeds.

greg mgm

Explorer
I'm considering getting a Tundra, so this thread should help me learn more about them. I'll be watching as you add more info and pics.

Is the 1'st gen Tundra anywhere near as HD as the 2nd gen?
Not sure I can afford an 08 or newer.

bjowett

Adventurer
Cooling fin mania! I've noticed Aisin designing more cooling fins into some of their products in recent years. The 6 speed 2WD Taco tranny I swapped into my cruiser has a good sized grouping of fins on the bottom, too. I suppose with higher output more cooling is required.... I am considering adding an external cooler to the case, as 500 hp can create allot of heat while towing.

The main TRD package is pretty much springs, Bilstein shocks, and wheels/tires. Nothing special that can't be improved upon with some good aftermarket stuff. You'll like the suspension lift I am developing, only problem with it is cost.... maybe I'll post a sneak peak in a few days.

The first gen is not nearly as beefy as the 2nd, but they have proven to be a very durable trucks.

Juntura

Observer
Thank you for this thread. We have been looking at the new Tundras- for now I just can't quite get over the size (I like the dimensions on the smaller 1st generation) and the thought that there may be a diesel (I know pipe dream). Lets see photos of your lift!

Have you heard any news on the new small v8- reliability, etc.

ryguy

Adventurer
I'm not sure of reliability since they've only been out for a few months but the 4.6L motor comes with a timing chain, replacing the belt on the 4.7L.

OTR

Adventurer
My 5.7 has been very reliable with no issues with over 60,000 miles on the clock. I wonder if the 4.6 is derived from the lexus LS460????? Just tuned for a truck and not a car.

jim65wagon

Is the 1'st gen Tundra anywhere near as HD as the 2nd gen?
Not sure I can afford an 08 or newer.

While not built as HD as the newer Tundras, I feel qualified to vouch for the first gen's durability. I've had this truck since new and at 130,000 miles it's the tightest, best built vehicle I've ever owned. I've hauled camping gear for four from the beach to the mountains, towed boats, car haulers, and box trailers; countless loads of sand, gravel, dirt, lumber, mulch, feed corn and more. Some loads were way over it's 1400lb rating, most were around 1000-1200 lbs. Other than maintenance (oil, filters, tires) and the timing belt replacement (100,000 miles); it's needed nothing done. I just picked up a new set of shocks to replace the originals (they do need replaced). If you can't afford a new one, you can't go wrong with the first gen.

Sorry for the hijack, but I felt the question needed an answer. Now back to the thread at hand!:lurk:

greg mgm

Explorer
While not built as HD as the newer Tundras, I feel qualified to vouch for the first gen's durability. I've had this truck since new and at 130,000 miles it's the tightest, best built vehicle I've ever owned. I've hauled camping gear for four from the beach to the mountains, towed boats, car haulers, and box trailers; countless loads of sand, gravel, dirt, lumber, mulch, feed corn and more. Some loads were way over it's 1400lb rating, most were around 1000-1200 lbs. Other than maintenance (oil, filters, tires) and the timing belt replacement (100,000 miles); it's needed nothing done. I just picked up a new set of shocks to replace the originals (they do need replaced). If you can't afford a new one, you can't go wrong with the first gen.

Sorry for the hijack, but I felt the question needed an answer. Now back to the thread at hand!:lurk:

REALLY sorry for my hijack...but THANKS for that info.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm planning to buy
a Tundra, but will also look at Titans while I'm shopping.

Thank you...

OTR

Adventurer
REALLY sorry for my hijack...but THANKS for that info.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm planning to buy
a Tundra, but will also look at Titans while I'm shopping.

Thank you...

I haven't heard of very many good things ablout the Nissan Titans. Although I have also heard that the off-road version is pretty capable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online