2up light dirt bike recommendation wanted.

jetstreamin

Hi All,

We are currently building a Fuso 4x4 expedition vehicle something like the earth roamer, we are looking to mount a dirt bike on the back. Main reason for the bike is if we run into trouble, breakdowns etc we have a mode of transport to get help, also head into town for small groceries etc - all that and some additional exploring from the home base of the rig.

This will not be a long haul bike, we need it to be as light as possible for obvious reasons.I weight 176lbs and the better half is 110lbs. We are looking for a bike we can both ride and if we want to pop to a town for coffe she can hop on the back, 2up.

We both ride road right now so this arena is new for us and figured this was the best place to pop the question.

Look forward to hearing some recommendations.

PSlove the KTM brand if there is anything in their range...

Cheers
Tony

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Yamaha TW200

TW200run.jpg

tanuki.himself

Suzuki drz 400 - big enough seat for 2 and comfortable. KTMs for dirt aren't designed for 2 and are famously uncomfortable saddles. I've owned both and the Suzi is definitely the better bike for your reference....

jkam

nomadic man
I carry a Kawasaki Super Sherpa on the back of my RV.
It's an air cooled 250cc street legal bike that is pretty bullet proof. It weighs about 290 lbs. so light enough for most carriers.
I had a custom one made using three attachment points, the bike is very secure back there.
It is capable of highway speeds and with a few modifications can be a great go to town and get things done bike.
I have added a top case to mine, to put groceries, laundry or jugs to go fill up on water.
It has passenger pegs and with your and your better halves weights, should be fine.
It makes a great little explorer, I use it to find new places to boondock that my Rv can fit.
Used ones are out there but getting harder to find. Usually in the low $2,000 range.

Last edited:

Jeffer949

Observer
I carry a Kawasaki Super Sherpa on the back of my RV.
It's an air cooled 250cc street legal bike that is pretty bullet proof. It wight about 290 lbs. so light enough for most carriers.
I had a custom one made using three attachment points, the bike is very secure back there.
It is capable of highway speeds and with a few modifications can be a great go to town and get things done bike.
I have added a top case to mine, to put groceries, laundry or jugs to go fill up on water.
It has passenger pegs and with your and your better halves weights, should be fine.
It makes a great little explorer, I use it to find new places to boondock that my Rv can fit.
Used ones are out there but getting harder to find. Usually in the low $2,000 range.

Exactly what I was going to recommend. I like that they are narrow as the don't have to house a radiator in the shroud area which is normally the widest point except for the bars. I would not go for a drz400 personally. A few other options would be a klx250 or a wr250. I think honda has a 250 also but I dont know much about it. Personally I plan on running a super sherpa if I ever need to have something on the back of a camper or rig.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
A KL250 is a great choice if you can find one in decent shape let alone find one at all. The TW200 is another popular option and they still make and sell them to this day, it's a much more common bike.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
We're in the same process of adding our Sherpa to the back of our Tiger. I'll be creating a custom carrier for it and some additional gear. As for 2up on the bike it's a awesome little ride for its intended purpose. We've had it about 10 years and hauled it on the back of our truck camper as a run about. The Wife loves riding it and it has just enough room for the two of us when running into town. When you take a close look at the build and components on the Sherpa you'll See why they are used all over the world as a utility bike. If I was critical about one thing is that it's only electric start. It has no option for a kick start, so just keep a good battery in it and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Oh......and try to find a Sherpa with the rare pimp-in gold rims...always a good conversation starter!
IMG_1589.JPG

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Love for the KTM is nice...but I think with what you're looking for it'd be better to get a "tractor" rather than a race bike. Lots of great choices, and all can be had pretty cheaply...ease of parts and maintenance is key. My girlfriend just sold her 2006 Yamaha XT225, which would be a perfect choice on a hitch; however, anything under 400cc and dual sport will likely work.
-H-

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
The " baby " KLR is another great option. The biggest difference between the Super Sherpa and the KLR 250 is the KLR has two mini radiators and a small fan. It is also kick start only. Super light ( under 300 lbs ) will zip along between 60 and 70 depending on elevation gearing and load, is darn near bulletproof, easy to work on, and they can be picked up cheap. Like the super sherpa, it has been used extensively all over the world for many years. put in gas, change the oil, adjust the valves, and ride the snot out of it. I picked mine up for less then a thousand bucks a few years back ( it is an 03). It hauls my fat ass and my much more slender wife around no problems. the fan and radiator is nice for the hotter climates, the seat is not bad, and it is nice and low to the ground. I rode a few of the newer EFI yahama 250 bikes before picking up the KLR. Nice bikes, but pricy and sorta a pain to get on and off unless you are around 6 feet tall.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
For what it is worth, my regular cab tacoma handles that bike on a hitch rack riding off the 2 inch hitch no problems, so on an RV it would have no problems.

jkam

nomadic man
Two other bikes I considered at the time were the Yamaha XT 225 and the Suzuki DR 350 SE.
The Sherpa has a rear disc brake, at the time the XT did not, so out it went.
Finding a nice DR 350 SE was impossible, I looked for quite some time, they are more rare than the Super Sherpa.
So I concentrated my efforts on finding a Sherpa.
I've actually had two. My 2001, with the pimped out gold wheels was stolen, twice.
Then I got lucky and found a 2003, silver wheels, which I've learned to like more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne