2WD in Snow - Need advice

vwhammer

Adventurer
I will say a limited slip or locker and some snow chains are about as good as it's going to get with a 2wd.
However, you might think about carrying a winch with a receiver mount that you can use front or rear.
That and some proper recovery gear to go with the winch should give you a little bit of a safety factor should you need to push it a little bit to get to somewhere cool.

Saenzm

If you want to get off the beaten path more then I would start planning for 4wd in the future.

For now... yeah, chains would definitely help.

When I had my 2wd truck years ago I had chains for it and I would get into all kinds of trouble with it... and out eventually, lol. But I could drive through a bush trail that had snow up to my bumper... with lots of extra weight in the back for traction.

Airing your tires down can also help a lot.
I go to about 15 psi but you are a bit heavier so you'll have to play with it a bit.
Thanks, I have a Land Cruiser for real off road adventures, but I do love getting out in my van. Especially during a little more extreme weather (really cold out or really hot). Thanks for the feedback.

Saenzm

I will say a limited slip or locker and some snow chains are about as good as it's going to get with a 2wd.
However, you might think about carrying a winch with a receiver mount that you can use front or rear.
That and some proper recovery gear to go with the winch should give you a little bit of a safety factor should you need to push it a little bit to get to somewhere cool.
I appreciate the feedback. I am going to look into lockers and I already have a winch I can mount in the front or back...so ahead of the game there. I may venture out a little at a time (as necessary) and get more and more comfortable/experienced. Maybe go out with friends to ensure I have some backup. This weekend was one of those "I'm should be in the mountains tonight and who cares that it's 10PM, I'm going!" kinda moments. Kinda spur of the moment thing.

I'm in Colorado also. My 2010 is 2wd and has traction control and RSC. Having those sucks! It won't allow me to get the wheel spin and speed I need to make it up icy and deep snow spots. 4wd is definitely nice, but at $12k+ to use it 4-5x a year makes it very expensive.

Chains are perfect and will be sufficient in 90% of situations. The times I needed more than chains on my 2wd, 4wd would have required chains also. Add a locker and you can go almost anywhere within reason. I lived at Gross Resivoir for a long time, there were many winters I had to chain all four corners of my Bronco and still had to walk home.

In the summer time on the trails I run out of room before traction. 4wd would be nice to have on the decent for the Lo side.

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    672.6 KB · Views: 28

tims5377

I'm in Colorado also. My 2010 is 2wd and has traction control and RSC. Having those sucks! It won't allow me to get the wheel spin and speed I need to make it up icy and deep snow spots. 4wd is definitely nice, but at $12k+ to use it 4-5x a year makes it very expensive.

Chains are perfect and will be sufficient in 90% of situations. The times I needed more than chains on my 2wd, 4wd would have required chains also. Add a locker and you can go almost anywhere within reason. I lived at Gross Resivoir for a long time, there were many winters I had to chain all four corners of my Bronco and still had to walk home.

In the summer time on the trails I run out of room before traction. 4wd would be nice to have on the decent for the Lo side.

Tell me more about your rig please!
Lift? Tires? Wheels? Other mods?

Highly possible I will be picking up a 2011 EB in a couple weeks :D

Saenzm

Thank you for the info. You're right about the cost of 4wd and hopefully I am never in that dire a situation. Love your van. I'll look for you on the road. Cheers!

Spend $150 on a set of chains, another $20 on some bungee cords and you'll be set.
Practice putting them on in the driveway. I can chain up in about 4 minutes. If you need more than a set of chains, you probably don't want to go there. Growing up in Iowa we had a saying, "The difference between 4wd and 2wd is the distance you'll have to walk and the size of tractor it will take to get you out.":D

What ever you decide to do, also carry a shovel, preferably full size handle. A little shovel work will help when you dig yourself in, chains, lockers, doesn't matter - you will dig yourself in.

Jo_Duval

Observer
Proper snow tires will be a day in night difference. All terrain are medium in snow mud terrains are awful.

Some traction aid devices could help, maybe chains or others, limited slip also, airing down.

Our van weights 6900pounds with the conversion and I can drive in pretty much any storm.

Now I don’t venture off-road in snow, that’s just begging to get stuck.

CSG

Explorer
Thanks, I have a Land Cruiser for real off road adventures, but I do love getting out in my van. Especially during a little more extreme weather (really cold out or really hot). Thanks for the feedback.
We have a similar situation in that I have a 2x4 van with KO2 tires on it but I don't carry much in the way of recovery gear and it has an open diff so I don't go anywhere stupid or do anything stupid. I have an LX470 for back country adventures even if it's not as comfy to sleep in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles