2wd!! More off road capable?

mykdee

Adventurer
Just wondering how I can make my 2wd van a little more offroad friendly!! Do not want to spend $6000-$7000 for 4x4! Just looking for ideas to make the van be able to get a little deeper offroad!?!?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Offroad in what type of terrain? Mud, rocks, loose sand? What do you want to do with it once you have it there?

NothingClever

Explorer
Taller tires = clearance.

Right tread for right terrain/conditions.

Chains to compensate for lack of 4WD.

Hmmm, rear locker....yep, gotta agree that would allow you to tilt at bigger windmills.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Just wondering how I can make my 2wd van a little more offroad friendly!! Do not want to spend $6000-$7000 for 4x4! Just looking for ideas to make the van be able to get a little deeper offroad!?!?

Locker. Biggest bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mykdee

Adventurer
I drive the van daily, so what type of locker would be the best for that? We live in Arizona so mostly dirt roads, little mud, just so we can go camping/hiking away from everyone else!

jluck

Adventurer
Air or electric selectable. the electric is a bit less costly but with the addition of a compressor for a air locker you could air tires up and down easily which would be a added benefit.:bigbossHL:

ihatemybike

Explorer
What make/model do you have? You might be able to find a factory axle with a LSD/Locker in a junk yard to swap in.

I was able to get Grumpy a G80 rear end for $126 and swapped the entire axle.

Start this video at 2:54 to see G80s in action.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I drive the van daily, so what type of locker would be the best for that? We live in Arizona so mostly dirt roads, little mud, just so we can go camping/hiking away from everyone else!

A lock rite is about 300 bucks.

Toyotero

Explorer
As others have said, a locker. You'll want switchable, either air or electric so that you can turn it off when on road or other high traction surface.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
As others have said, a locker. You'll want switchable, either air or electric so that you can turn it off when on road or other high traction surface.

Not really. There isn't anything wrong or hard with driving a truck that has a locker on the road.

762X39

Explorer
I have to disagree with the above statement (jmo). Full time lockers cause a vehicle to behave in unexpected ways on dry pavement and sometimes in bad ways on slippery surfaces. 99% of the time an open rear diff will be fine but for the 1% a selectable locker will make you very happy. :coffee:

jluck

Adventurer
"lunch box lockers" (lock-rites) are cheap and easy but that's it. There noisy,unpredictable, and weak in full size applications. For a daily driver spend the money and do it correct. I like ARB's but there spendy. But if you love your rig just do it!
:bigbossHL:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I have to disagree with the above statement (jmo). Full time lockers cause a vehicle to behave in unexpected ways on dry pavement and sometimes in bad ways on slippery surfaces. 99% of the time an open rear diff will be fine but for the 1% a selectable locker will make you very happy. :coffee:

Nope. I drove a ram charger with a locker in snow and ice and you just have to learn to drive with it. Like anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles