2WD Overland Thread

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I searched, and did not find any threads dedicated to members using 2wd vehicles for our hobby. So I wanted to start a thread showcasing what 2wd rigs people are running, how they are setup, and any regrets or advice they would give for those considering them. What lift, tires, traction device do/did you use? How well did it work? What were it limitations?
If not already obvious, I'm strongly considering a 2WD rig right now as the rockcrawling days are over for me and want to keep thing simple and use money for getting out rather than outfitting a rig thats potentially more than it needs to be.

MrWesson

Adventurer
I don't personally but I know guys who use their 2wd's to explore off the beaten path(and camp).

One guy simply has a 2wd older 4runner, Has a LSD, all terrains and bolted on a harbor freight winch/mount. If you don't go looking for trouble his rig would serve just about anyone if you don't go looking for difficult line/obstacle.

Most of us like "wheeling" our rigs which means finding challenging trails for the heck of it. Most scenic areas and camping spots are mostly easily accessible in my experience.. Guys just go the back way for the fun of it.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I used to like running the Hammer trails in Johnson Valley for the heck of it, but have grown past that and intend to progressively build a truck I'm planning on buying tomorrow. Long term, I'd be up for a 4x4 conversion adding a solid axle which is in my skill set, but want to see what others have done (pics in the thread would be awesome) with a 2WD vehicle. Thanks for the input MrWesson!

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I have a 2wd as my main vehicle. This is the vehicle I use to do trips, haul trailers, tow my camper, do chores with. Having a 2wd is great 95% of the time for me, Ive just learned to deal with the desire to have 4x4 the other 5% of the time. The truck is basic, I had 34" tires but went back down to pizza cutter 235/85R16s. It has a G80 limited slip, 3.73s and Ive added Fox 2.0 shocks all around. I added the topper which I sleep in occasionally, but it mostly keeps our thing clean and dry. Other than that, I put some interior protection in, made up a winch mount and a rear bumper and a few lighting upgrades. Also added a cold air intake, and debating on exhaust. I intend to make some shovel and jack mounts, and build some rock sliders and a front bumper also and some steering upgrades, and am debating on lift spindles.
I do also have a 4wd I bought for my wife this fall to replace her awd car, but i feel better taking this older truck into the bush.

image_zps7ca0eeb8.jpg

image_zps4f0befbe.jpg

IMG_20160323_174054540_HDR_zpsoywltvrz.jpg

Last edited:

JJEH

I've got a 2003 Ram 1500 EMO (Estrada Mobile Office) 4.7L, 4x2 SLT with factory LSD, 3/2 inch lift, Pro-Comp ES9000 shocks, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in 285/70-17.

12998433_730374123771156_6777221672106885789_o.jpg

13041108_1180361301983291_4895576706759759330_o.jpg

I love it. So far no issues and it took us anywhere we wanted to go. I definitely want to do more, recently ordered a cb-radio.
Also want to add a rack, tent, tow hooks and a winch.

But just like someone said in an earlier post, I'm also not looking for too much trouble ;)

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I've seen lots of 2wd "expedition" vehicles down south of the border. Surprising how much they can get through with enough momentum and a good driver.
_
I've thought about buying a simple 2wd Tacoma or older F150. Simple and pretty capable. But it snows here and 4wd is almost a necessity.

thethePete

Explorer
I run a 2wd Ranger. Gets me most places. If you have competent driving skill and don't go seeking trouble like others have said, it gets you a lot of places. Most places we explore need clearance more than actual 4wd, plus a 2wd with a good locker or LSD will go almost as far as a 4wd with a pair of open diffs. That said, having moved to the mountains, I can see a distinct advantage to 4wd, but 2wd will still get me a lot further than most people travel. If you have a travel partner with 4wd it's a lot less stressful, but I've still gone places with a 2wd that most people wouldn't expect you to get to.

My next rig will be 4wd but that's only because I want to get to tougher spots than I already go. For general "overlanding" 2wd and good suspension with a locker is not a bad route.

The tools you have are only as good as your skills to use them.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Great replies, exactly what I was hoping to confirm.

GMtech14 - I am on a time and money crunch, moving my daughter from Louisiana to Virginia in 3 weeks, then driving back and moving the rest of the family back to SoCal. Dont have a lot of time to be picky or wait for a certain drig to come along, and dont have the cash to throw toward an upgraded drive-train right now. I have a truck I am strongly considering that is exactly what I want minus the 4wd drive-train, and since its an IFS even when it is 4wd its a perfect candidate for solid axle swap if I decide to go the 4x4 route in the future - that and I have a transfer case to bolt to it already to make the swap easier. Just makes sense to pursue this now as its straight, rust free, bondo free and in great shape other than paint.

thethePete

Explorer
^ That's it. If you're going to do a SAS anyway, the only thing you gain from having a 4x4 out of the box is the transfer case. Everything else you pretty much need to rip out/fabricate/buy anyway. If I had enough space in the cab of my Ranger for my family it'd get swapped to TTB or possibly a SAS and I'd keep it.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Well the daughter is getting married and moving to VA and we are headed back to CA with my son, who is building a drift car. Since its just going to be me, the wife and the dog, a mid size extra cab will fit us perfectly. we will start out with the 2wd setup, but everything mechanically will be in prep for a possible SAS swap in the future. I will upgrade the rear end size and go with an ARB, that way the compressor will be able to fill tires/air mattresses and potentially a front locker in the future if the 4x4 conversion is deemed necessary. We might be perfectly happy with a lifted 2wd for a while, but the option will be there and I can slowly accumulate parts as great deals come along. Wife tossed out the idea of Quads so that might be our answer to going past where the truck serves as base camp. Time will tell. Still looking forward to checking out what others have done with their setups.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
I have a 2wd Mazda B2300 that I use for a daily and adventuring out off road, most of the time it does just find but it all depends on the terrain, most sand and mud you can carry along just fine(Don't try pushing mud over the hood) its more stuff like snow that'll get you really stuck very fast

It's got a 4" suspension lift with Bilstein shocks and 31" ******** Cepek fun country tires, sadly I still have an open diff but that'll be swapped for a lsd Explorer one this summer

My main advice is too NEVER go alone, even with 4x4 I'd still never try stuff because you never know. Tires are absolute key with a 2wd, same with good suspension/shocks. You'll need speed sometimes so having better suspension that saves your back and truck will make all the difference and last but not least driver skill, the more practice the better, gotta get a feel of your rig and know its limits

Hope this helps someone thinking of doing overlanding with their 2wd, Have fun!

ZMagic97

Explorer
If you look in my signature I have a 2WD Silverado I daily drive. I have Hankook A/Ts on it now which do wonders in most places. I plan on doing a 3" lift in a few months. I believe that set-up with either a locker or a product like Max Trax would take care of all the needs for that truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz