3 States...2 Weeks-No Problem

mph

Expedition Leader
I am waaaay overdue on some of my trip reports. Now, the fall travel season has calmed down, I think I will catch up on some...Here goes...

August, 2016

My wife, daughter, and I broke away for a few weeks to explore the northern Rockies in early August. Summer in the Rockies is something special--gorgeous days, cool evenings. Our first destination was Bear Lake in northern Utah and eastern Idaho.

Not really much to say about the place. Water, play, repeat...The lake does have some incredible water due to the minerals at the bottom of the lake. Lilly got to visit with some friends while Louise and I paddleboarded. Good times...Relaxing times...

IMG_7310.jpg

Catching the last rays of sun before we headed further north the following day.

DSC_5697.jpg

We ventured north thru the backcountry of Idaho. Without much intention, we stumbled upon the old stagecoach route to Alpine, Wyoming. History lesson along the way...We passed numerous signs that signified old boarding houses, stables, way stations, etc. It was nice to see that someone wanted to protect the area's history.

DSC_5719 (1).jpg

DSC_5702 (1).jpg

Our travels took us past a backcountry ranger station. We stopped for a visit. No one was home...

DSC_5715 (1).jpg

We found a nice place to pull over for the night. Camp was set and dinner cooked. Louise and Lilly tried to catch a few fish before the stars came out...

DSC_5749.jpg

The following day, Louise had to head back to Park City while Lilly and I ventured further north. We packed camp and said our goodbyes. Louise will be meeting up with us later...

DSC_5751.jpg

The route got more scenic and wet...

DSC_5736.jpg

The stopping point for the evening was the Jackson area of Wyoming. We were fortunate to spend 4 summers up here playing...Such stunning country.

DSC_5759.jpg

Lilly found a nice place for the night. High above the Teton Valley. If you look at far corner of the pictures, you can see how Jackson got it's name, Jackson Hole. The elk used to migrate south through the break in the mountain and follow the Snake River south. On this night...it was gorgeous!

DSC_5768.jpg

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
The following morning, we woke up to a smoke-filled sky. The wildfires were pushing smoke up into the Teton Valley. The Tetons were blocked from view. No worries...We weren't planning to do much in the area. We would be spending some time in Jackson on the way back.

So, I sipped coffee and packed up while Lilly read in bed.

DSC_5776.jpg

We drove north and took a left hand turn right at Flag Ranch. The Grassy Lake Road is an east-west corridor that bisects the Grand Teton Park to the south and Yellowstone to the north. However, the road is mostly on forest service land. The rangers tried to scare of us from not going. "The road is in bad shape." "There are bears out there." None of the statements turned out to be accurate.

DSC_5778.jpg

The southwestern corner of Yellowstone is known as the waterfall region. And, for good merit. There are waterfalls everywhere...Lilly ready for a our hike into the backcountry.

DSC_5782.jpg

It was a gorgeous 5 mile loop...waterfalls were everywhere and we had the place all to oursevles. Yes, we were on heighten alert for bears but didn't see one.

DSC_5811.jpg

DSC_5819.jpg

Afterwards, we backtracked a little and found a stunning spot, lakeside for the night. We enjoyed a picture-perfect evening. After washing up, Lilly wanted to go fishing. Sure...I snapped the pictures and realized she was naked. Oh well, when you got to fish...you got to fish...No cares in the world:)

DSC_5857.jpg

Our route took us deeper into the Bechler Region. We got a few insights for fishing and off we went.

DSC_5869.jpg

The country did feel like ours...We passed a car or two. No one was fishing. We felt like we had the "River Runs Through It" right in front of us. And, the fish were biting!

DSC_5946.jpg

DSC_6074.jpg

Thanks to Lilly who got a shot of me trying to land a Rainbow. All and all, we caught 7-8 fish on a truly specatular afternoon.

DSC_5973.jpg

More to come...

Foy

Explorer
I think I might know where you're headed.......

........since it was discussed during the summer. Sure hope so.

Great to see our favorite impish explorer and fisherwoman, Lilly, afield once again. I see she still rocks the pink adventurewear--when she's wearing anything at all! Too cute.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Foy

mph

Expedition Leader
Lilly and I woke the following day in the midst of a pine forest. It was the only campground we stayed in for two weeks and no one was there...Couldn't figure it out. The setting was awesome. We enjoyed a casual morning and talked about our previous day's catch. We had now entered Idaho. One of my favorite states. Crazy opportunities for adventure and overlanding.

DSC_6082.jpg

DSC_6084.jpg

Lilly topped of her water bottle from the well water shooting out before we began to rally north.

DSC_6088.jpg

Idaho is a grand state for exploring during the summer months. I always thought Colorado was supreme. But, ohhhh Idaho!

DSC_6094.jpg

We made our way north towards the popular area of the Henry's Fork. Known for its fly fishing. But, on this day, we were headed further north into Montana. I do not know Montana at all. So, no expectations. However, it did appear to be a little dry.

DSC_6102.jpg

Lilly and I kept our eyes open for little signs every few miles signifying our next stop--ElK Lake Resort. A magical place deep in the Montana wilderness.

DSC_6104.jpg

We rented a cabin and Lilly opened the gate...

DSC_6108.jpg

Lilly and I explored the lake. We tried to fish but none were biting...

DSC_6118.jpg

DSC_6163.jpg

Later that evening, we enjoyed a fresh steak from the cattle right on their property! I guess that would be considered FRESH. Afterwards, we enjoyed a nice game of pool before settling down for the night.

DSC_6204.jpg

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the kind words and insights! Lilly is a hoot to travel with... It was awesome!

........since it was discussed during the summer. Sure hope so.

Great to see our favorite impish explorer and fisherwoman, Lilly, afield once again. I see she still rocks the pink adventurewear--when she's wearing anything at all! Too cute.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Foy

mph

Expedition Leader
The next day dawned and we headed to the main lodge for a lovely breakfast. The morning was crisp and cool. The Montana backcountry deserves more of my attention. The ELk Lake Resort is a slice of backcountry heaven. We will be back!

DSC_6221.jpg

I sipped coffee as we made our way back out to pavement. Views were killer and the solitude was mesmerizing.

DSC_6251.jpg

There was plenty of water to be fished. But, next time...

DSC_6255.jpg

Old ranches of the west are story untold. I wish I knew the story of this ranch!

DSC_6262.jpg

DSC_6275.jpg

We finally hit pavement and made our way to the northwest-West Yellowstone, Montana. The nation's first National Park deserved our attention. We were slapped in the face with commericalism at it's best! However, Yellowstone is a place everyone should visit and witness. It might be busy, but for good reason...It's Mother Nature at her finest!

Lilly fishing the Madison River.

DSC_6282.jpg

The place is just full of eye-candy. We wandered and observed the "unrealness" that is Yellowstone.

DSC_6348.jpg

DSC_6360.jpg

An ice cream cone and Old Faithful...what could be better?

DSC_6393.jpg

Our travels led us south to Jackson. We were meeting with Louise, aka Mommy, later that evening. However, dinner called and we found a nice spot off of Jackson Lake.

DSC_6457.jpg

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
Jackson, Wyoming...The prettiest town in the US? We came back to our old house to stay for a 4 days or so. To visit the ole stomping ground...The Tetons and all of their splendor never seem to disappoint.

DSC_6494.jpg

On this day, the thunderstorms moved in...What to do? Go out and watched the light show. It was glorious!

DSC_6497.jpg

The view to the East and the mountains outside of Dubois, Wyoming.

DSC_6510.jpg

The Greater Yellowstone is somewhat known at the the American Serenghetti. I have never been to Africa but if you want to see wildlife in their natural habitat, I can think of no better place then the Northwest corner of Wyoming.

DSC_6729.jpg

Soon enough, we were surrounded by a large herd of bison. So fun...Got out the zoom and snapped a few pictures. I had never seen a wolverine before but within 20 minutes, I saw two. The coolest animal!

DSC_6611.jpg

DSC_6898.jpg

Lilly loved this big beast up on the hillside. She named it the KING. He was looking over his herd. Not a bad view.

DSC_6869.jpg

The following days, we spend on the water. The Tetons are full of lakes and rivers that are just asking to be explored. We grabbed our paddleboards and off we went.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

The afternoon thunderstorms rolled in again. The clouds were engulfing Mt. Moran as we ventured back to shore and called it a day. More can be found here...
http://adventurist.life/oxbow-afternoon/

IMG_7406.jpg

Until next time...

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
Inspirational, as usual MPH. I always enjoy your posts.
Our stretch plan for next year is an Alaska trip, but northern Rockies are the backup, so we may be following in your tracks. Can't go wrong either way!

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks so much for the positive vibes. Looks like you guys have some things to look forward to! Happy Thanksgiving:)

Inspirational, as usual MPH. I always enjoy your posts.
Our stretch plan for next year is an Alaska trip, but northern Rockies are the backup, so we may be following in your tracks. Can't go wrong either way!

ghostingrey

I just wanted to say that I don't post much but I always read and enjoy your threads. As an avid flyfisher with a young daughter myself, they are especially touching. I do my best to get my kids outside as much as possible but your trips are something to aspire too.

This might sounds odd and I don't mean to pry, but I'm curious what kind of career field you are in that allows you and your family so much time to explore the outdoors.

Keep up the fantastic reports, I sure do love reading them, especially when we're in the grip of winter in the Northern Plains.

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks much...I can only imagine the winter on the northern plains can be a little long:) Glad my reports offer you some relief:) My career is in education. Therefore, I capitalize on my breaks and time away from school. It allows me the time to wander and explore.

Yeah, always fun going out with my daughter. She's a riot. Thanks again.

I just wanted to say that I don't post much but I always read and enjoy your threads. As an avid flyfisher with a young daughter myself, they are especially touching. I do my best to get my kids outside as much as possible but your trips are something to aspire too.

This might sounds odd and I don't mean to pry, but I'm curious what kind of career field you are in that allows you and your family so much time to explore the outdoors.

Keep up the fantastic reports, I sure do love reading them, especially when we're in the grip of winter in the Northern Plains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier