3-week Wyoming/Montana Experiment

jhmoore

Do you have waypoints or a track on the route you took?

I was in the Tetons for the first 10 day’s or so and didn’t turn tracking on ... not really sure why. Once I left the Tetons and headed north, I turned tracking on and left it on for the rest of the trip. I don’t know that it’d really help anyone, though... it probably looks like a crazy, drunk person’s track... because, photography!

ITTOG

I was in the Tetons for the first 10 day’s or so and didn’t turn tracking on ... not really sure why. Once I left the Tetons and headed north, I turned tracking on and left it on for the rest of the trip. I don’t know that it’d really help anyone, though... it probably looks like a crazy, drunk person’s track... because, photography!
LOL

I was just wondering where you were at because I am trying to plan something for next year. It will be my first "overlanding" trip so am a bit unsure about planning routes when not familiar with traveling on FS or BLM roads. No worries.

jhmoore

I was just wondering where you were at because I am trying to plan something for next year. It will be my first "overlanding" trip so am a bit unsure about planning routes when not familiar with traveling on FS or BLM roads. No worries.

With the exception of Skalkaho Pass, my unpaved roads were all out-and-backs related to photography. It’d be fun to do a trip with longer, point-to-point off-road parts. Am thinking about that for next year’s adventure.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Very well done imo and I'll echo everyone's sentiments on the pictures- superb!

I also think Blackdawg has it right- get to know your vehicle and what you need. It will save you a lot of time and money. All too often I think equipment gets slapped on a vehicle without being needed or someone just saw it and thought it looked good or some such. Doing it slowly as your experience dictates will lead you to a vehicle better suited for your specific needs. Maybe you have it and I missed it but some basic recovery gear would make sense to me. Some morning you wake up and realize you've been snowed in or something it will be handy. Good luck and I hope you post more of your great shots from future trips here. :)

Last edited:

jhmoore

Maybe you have it and I missed it but some basic recovery gear would make sense to me.

Yes, @Wilbah , safety & recovery gear is the first thing that I'm working on... slowly... I already had a good first aid kit and field water filtration system from years of travel. I used to have a Spot GPS, but they have gotten so awful that I replaced it with a Garmin InReach. (Ever since a really sketchy encounter with a rattlesnake up a desert wash in Utah years ago, by myself, I don't travel without a satellite emergency system.) So far for the 4Runner I've bought a compressor, a quick deflator, a fire extinguisher, tire repair kit, folding saw & garden snips, shovel, and handheld ham radio (need to get the license!). I will probably follow the usual guidance and get a recovery strap and some shackles before too long, but I don't know how to use them yet. Would also like some Maxtrax-like devices (not necessarily the expensive brand), as I will be on a lot of sand...

fireball

Explorer
I am planning to bring the family out to MT and WY right after school ends, middle of June.

Any thoughts on things that time of year?

I’ve been to Glacier back in college, and to Jackson hole to ski a few times. But outside that have no experience in these two states and just want to spend 2-3 weeks exploring with the family. Any other advice is greatly appreciated !!!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I am planning to bring the family out to MT and WY right after school ends, middle of June.

I’ve been to Glacier back in college, and to Jackson hole to ski a few times. But outside that have no experience in these two states and just want to spend 2-3 weeks exploring with the family. Any other advice is greatly appreciated !!!

Depending on the winter there will be lots of snow or little left. A lot of trails are also not open in certain parts due to snow melt. They keep some trails closed till July 15th to keep trail conditions in good shape. Otherwise its a beautiful time to come. Thats the middle of spring in the mountains.

jhmoore

I’ve been in July, August, September, and October, but don’t think that I’ve been in June. One of these years I’m going to make it there in May for bears. Generally, earlier in the season is more buggy. Best advice is just to get your reservations early. Grand Teton has everything that Yellowstone has, except the big thermal features... and everything is closer in the Tetons, with fewer people. Though the secret is getting out and Teton is seeing more people now. I don’t know MT well... have been there just the once. Need to do more exploration myself!

In my limited experience, these types of animals are a relatively random thing. You learn where they might be more common and look there, and drive around a LOT, but at both common places and less common places, it's just luck. And putting in the time. Sometimes you arrive at an area and there's a big animal out and about. Other times you spend a whole day looking and find nothing.

Great Reply. I shoot Wyoming/Montana every other year. I can go to the same spot 6 times and not see anything but on the 7th day there will be Grizzlies, moose, elk etc. Being patient and not too upset with being disappointed are virtues of mine. Though I am never disappointed I can always photo something. Or I put the camera down and just watch or hike etc.

While holding an 800mm lens at my side while a Grizzly dug through some roots for food another person asked me "why aren't you taking pics of the grizzly?" I just said "I am." "With my eyes."

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Wonderful report and love the photos! Thanks so much for sharing.

Everything you wrote makes sense. Your camping and photo gear in a high-quality, stock vehicle is often perfect.

Tetons are amazing, but... There is so much more. :) Keep coming back.

Regards, Guy

rc51kid

Adventurer
Great picture and great trip. When were you out there? I live right in that area May-Oct and know that area very well. It would have been fun to sit down and look at some maps and routes over a few beers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles