3rd Gen 4 runner Roof Rack mounting question

First post here, long time lurker. I finally picked up a 1998 4 runner and am looking to make some simple mods to suit my needs/wants. The primary is a roof rack. I would like to build a full length rack like Whitson Metalworks builds. My question is; Do these racks tie into the factory roof rack mounts or am I missing something. They look incredibly low profile. If anyone could post a pic or lead me to a thread where that type of rack was installed I would be greatly appreciative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ4Runner

Observer
I don't own on but want one. I believe it ties into the factory rack just like the Baja rack does. If it extends pass the factory mounts then the rack rests on a expandable bolt or something. The Yakima racks mount to the factory cross bars but is not low profile.

bikerjosh

Explorer
First post here, long time lurker. I finally picked up a 1998 4 runner and am looking to make some simple mods to suit my needs/wants. The primary is a roof rack. I would like to build a full length rack like Whitson Metalworks builds. My question is; Do these racks tie into the factory roof rack mounts or am I missing something. They look incredibly low profile. If anyone could post a pic or lead me to a thread where that type of rack was installed I would be greatly appreciative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, WM rack uses the OEM rail tracks for the rear and mid attachments, and then a couple of custom feet in front position.
Had one on my 3rd gen before I sold it. Very nice.

Elbee

Adventurer
I own one. Its awesome and i highly recommend it.

The rack sits in the rails that the factory rack sits in and there are two supports that you can choose to install for the front if you deem it necessary.

I don't have great photos of it, at the moment of it.

IMG_4139.jpgIMG_0245.jpg

Loubaru

Adventurer
I have one of Whitson Metalworks "3/4" racks in my garage waiting for summer so I can paint and install it. The build quality, especially when you consider how relatively inexpensive they are, is VERY good. His attention to detail is insane. I'm pretty sure he builds them out of some type of home shop to keep his cost down. He is also a great guy to work with and went out of his way to work with me so I could use my companies shipping account which almost cut the shipping cost in half.

dtc81

Observer
When I built my rack I utilized the factory mounting points, and made a threaded rod/rubber "foot" that supports the front of the rack on the roof. It's very similar to the WMW design, but I went with a larger rubber bumper to disperse some of the weight on the roof more evenly. I'm not sure it made much of a difference, but it made me feel better.

Not exactly a roof rack picture, but you can kind of see the mounts with this profile view.

Here's the link to the front mounting feet I purchased. I just drilled a hole in the front of the rack and welded a nut to the rack frame and used threaded rod and a locking nut to set and secure the height.
http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section7/gn352/index.html

I'll try to remember to take a few detailed pictures tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles