3rd Gen Montero Questions

offthepath

Adventurer
After really wanting a Land Cruiser I came to the conclusion I will never be able to save up the money to pay the prices 100s are going for and am now looking at a Montero instead. I am holding out for the 3.8L. The main draw for an SUV is the 3rd row seating with 2 small kids.

A few questions:
-How is parts availability for general maintenance stuff from AutoZone NAPA etc (gaskets, wear items, etc)? Are Mitsubishi dealers able to get parts quickly?

-The 3rd row would be used for kids from time to time. Will 1 or two car seats fit in the 3rd row? From looking at pictures they seem unusable for adults, correct?

-We live in Colorado and drive Mtn passes on every trip we take. How does the 3.8l do on mountain passes on the interstate? Im sure its no speed devil, but does it have power to pass and get out of its own way?

-This would be my wife DD and used for mild to moderate off road. It sounds like 285 tires will fit with no lift. For anyone running this size tire, how did it effect power and gas milage. Is a re-gear necessary?

-How is the comfort of the 2nd row for adults?

-What kind of hitch does the Montero have? I have searched and am a little unclear. Specifically what is the tongue weight capacity? I have a dirt bike with a hitch carrier I'd like to be able to use with the montero.

Thanks for the help

KyleT

Explorer
Parts had been pretty easy. Dealer prices are reasonable of you know where to look.

Power over passes seems to be ok on stock tires. 80 over raton wasn't an issue. Up in cripple creek didn't feel unusually sluggish. Haven't been across anything much higher but down lower its alright, no speed demon but easily passes.

No clue on car seats but I've sat in the third row for short trips and it's not that bad.

285's will be a tight fit.

2nd row is plush and reclines.

Hitches vary but most are 500/5500. I wouldn't use a hitch carrier but that's me on any SUV short of a 3/4ton suburban or excursion. A lot of weight back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I have a 2003, Gen 3.5. The second row seats are good for adults.
I agree that parts are no problem. I chose Mitsubishi because they still have dealerships in America selling parts etc...
Can't say anything about tire size you mentioned as I am still running the stock size.
Car seats in the third row would probably work but tight. You may have to test them to see if two will work at one time. That might be iffy.
I had an aftermarket tow hitch and it was really strong, but it also hung down quite a bit, like 5". I took it off and held onto it and the mounting bolts. Extremely easy to put on and off. I do not recall the tongue capacity but I would not put a dirt bike on mine.

FullMonte

Adventurer
I used to take my 03 3.8L to the Sierras every winter for snowboarding over here in California, about 6-7k feet, did fine climbing the hills on the way up. The extra torque on the 3.8 is noticeable. And it's a great you could down shift to 4 th gear. AWD on the fly below 55 mph. My friends would love sleeping in the 2nd row because it reclines.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

earljuic3

Adventurer
-How is parts availability for general maintenance stuff from AutoZone NAPA etc (gaskets, wear items, etc)? Are Mitsubishi dealers able to get parts quickly? Parts from places like Autozone usually have to be ordered in my area (Virginia). I can usually get anything I need from the dealer or online in two days...

-The 3rd row would be used for kids from time to time. Will 1 or two car seats fit in the 3rd row? From looking at pictures they seem unusable for adults, correct? I don't see you getting two car seats back there but 1 should be fine, there won't be any adults sitting back there for long LOL

-We live in Colorado and drive Mtn passes on every trip we take. How does the 3.8l do on mountain passes on the interstate? Im sure its no speed devil, but does it have power to pass and get out of its own way? The 3.8 does noticeably better than the 3.5 but I still feel the need to downshift on mtn passes. Get used to high RPMs and downshifting in these trucks.

-This would be my wife DD and used for mild to moderate off road. It sounds like 285 tires will fit with no lift. For anyone running this size tire, how did it effect power and gas milage. Is a re-gear necessary? I run 285/75 on my 02. Be prepared to cut and massage your inner fenders with a dead blow. I wouldn't even try it without the OME to be honest.

-How is the comfort of the 2nd row for adults? Super comfy, best place to be on a road trip.

-What kind of hitch does the Montero have? I have searched and am a little unclear. Specifically what is the tongue weight capacity? I have a dirt bike with a hitch carrier I'd like to be able to use with the montero. I have a dealer installed hitch, can't really answer this other than it hangs too low when off-roading.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Have you checked on this one? A dealer has is but sometimes they have a winner, one listing shows posted 17 days ago, another shows 8 days old. Sure do like the blue, don't see many of those, maybe the dealer is ready to take cash and put it into some other vehicle?
2006 with the rear spoiler and the factory 6 disc cd changer only thing missing is the factory hitch.
https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/5606813105.html
Welcome to the club anyway...
btw, the factory receiver hitch sits much higher than many of the aftermarket ones, review this post:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/140041-Gen-3-Montero-Tow-Hitch?p=1800681#post1800681

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks I did see that one. I really am not wanting over 120k, especially for an out of town rig that may be a let down if I took the time to go up there.

This will be my wife's DD/family car and we plan on keeping it for a very long time so I want to get a good one with lower miles.

There was one in Texas with just over 100k that looked about perfect from the pictures and I about had my mind made up to fly down there. But after I called the dealer I got a bad feeling about it (aka shady dealer) and I have plans pretty much all of June so it would have been a pain in the *** to get down there anyway.

I have several searches saved so hopefully one pops up. Id like one today, but in reality I don't need it.

Thanks for keeping an eye open!! If you see any more let me know.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
After really wanting a Land Cruiser I came to the conclusion I will never be able to save up the money to pay the prices 100s are going for and am now looking at a Montero instead. I am holding out for the 3.8L. The main draw for an SUV is the 3rd row seating with 2 small kids.

A few questions:
-How is parts availability for general maintenance stuff from AutoZone NAPA etc (gaskets, wear items, etc)? Are Mitsubishi dealers able to get parts quickly?
Generic items are easy enough to find, but I generally use either an OEM parts website or RockAuto with preference to RockAuto now.

-The 3rd row would be used for kids from time to time. Will 1 or two car seats fit in the 3rd row? From looking at pictures they seem unusable for adults, correct?
1 will fit, 2 may be crowded depending on how large the seats are and if they are held comfortably by the seatbelts.

-We live in Colorado and drive Mtn passes on every trip we take. How does the 3.8l do on mountain passes on the interstate? Im sure its no speed devil, but does it have power to pass and get out of its own way?
The 3.8L in my 05 does much better than the 3.5L in the 01 did. I regularly drive to the mountains for vacations and wandering trails. It is certainly slower than most in the class (Toyota V6, Lexus V8, Nissan V6), but it has better gearing in my opinion with 4.3 or 4.9 rear ends.

-This would be my wife DD and used for mild to moderate off road. It sounds like 285 tires will fit with no lift. For anyone running this size tire, how did it effect power and gas milage. Is a re-gear necessary?
Re-gear is not necessary since the Limited has 4.3 gears standard. Some have switched to 4.9 from the XLS trim, but that would only be needed for tires 35" and larger. 33" (285/75) tires will fit without a lift, but some aggressive mud tread designs may rub. If an A/T is rubbing, then your shocks may be sagging. Some have also used skinny (255/85) tires, and those do not usually rub either. I have no need to go larger than 32" (265/70) though. There is more information on tires here and in the Aussie Pajero forums.

-How is the comfort of the 2nd row for adults?
My parents and grandparents ride in the second row all of the time. Both sides of the 60/40 split recline separately and the Limited/03+ models with rear AC make it very comfortable.

-What kind of hitch does the Montero have? I have searched and am a little unclear. Specifically what is the tongue weight capacity? I have a dirt bike with a hitch carrier I'd like to be able to use with the montero.
I believe the 500/5500 is what is on mine. Both Monteros had one already installed before I owned them. I regularly towed a 12' open trailer with a race car and all gear. It is maybe 3,500lbs oon trailer plus an extra 800lbs inside.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the different Gen 3 versions.

offthepath

Adventurer
Michael Brown....
Thanks great feedback.

Normal Dave...
Thanks for the heads up on the one with 85k. The price is up now on auto trader, almost 11k!! Also from the pictures it looks like the clear coat is pealing....? It may be worth it to someone but for that money I can get a nice GX470.....

I liked the looks of the craigslist posting in Ft Worth. I wish there were a few more pictures. If its still around in a few weeks when I have time to go out of town I may call on it.

So anyone here have a gen 3 and a GX470, how do they compare? I would like the Montero but am considering looking at GXs also. I really like the Toyota reliability and the fact the 4.7 platform is everywhere which would be nice 10 years down the road finding parts. Staying under 10k for a GX will be as tough as finding a Montero though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier