3rd Gen Montero Questions

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Long shot: verify that the bad engine has the correct oil dipstick. This error happened to a friend during dealer service and it cost them an engine.

DeltaFry

Observer
Got the motor today(pretty quick) and here a few snaps -->

View attachment 357119

Sorry went Offline for so long. In short, I got the new reman motor installed and it has run some 700 miles(with a single oil change at 500 Miles). The run-in period is supposed to be about 3K miles. Using conventional oil as suggested by the manufacturer. Keeping fingers crossed.

Install 1.jpg
Install 2.jpg
Install 3.JPG
Install 4.JPG
Install 5.jpg

jfeust

For the OP and any other Colorado people. Boulder Import Motors in Boulder are far and away the most knowledgable shop for Montero's. The owner has a beautiful gen 2 and was a mitsubishi mechanic for decades and he's passing the knowledge on to his son at the shop.

DeltaFry

Observer
Not able to confirm as that would cost me additional $$$$'s at the workshop. I send the Core back to the company which provided me with the reman motor..

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
That obstacle looks pretty straightforward. If by "the salute" you mean the lifting of a front wheel due to limited travel, I would argue that this is not so much a technique as merely the result of limited articulation in a vehicle with independent suspension. In other words, you're not TRYING to wag a tire in the air, you're trying to keep as many wheels as possible delivering power to the earth, but the chosen line does not allow it. The reason that the best line may result in a lifted wheel is that keeping them all on the ground may result in the vehicle being high centered or impinging at the front or the rear due to steep approach or departure angle.

The ledge in that vid looks perfectly reasonable for a straight-on approach, but if you're concerned try it at a bit of an angle. We did ledges much more dramatic than that before ever trimming the plastic mudflaps and cladding on our Gen III. It is useful to practice negotiating such cross-axle situations, though, because the vehicle can lurch quite dramatically; it takes experience to make those weight transfers happen smoothly.

7522076436_70c92196c3_b.jpg

7522075608_54772127eb_b.jpg

7522074840_2f8cec7c30_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier