3rd Gen Montero Questions

DeltaFry

Observer
That obstacle looks pretty straightforward. If by "the salute" you mean the lifting of a front wheel due to limited travel, I would argue that this is not so much a technique as merely the result of limited articulation in a vehicle with independent suspension. In other words, you're not TRYING to wag a tire in the air, you're trying to keep as many wheels as possible delivering power to the earth, but the chosen line does not allow it. The reason that the best line may result in a lifted wheel is that keeping them all on the ground may result in the vehicle being high centered or impinging at the front or the rear due to steep approach or departure angle.

The ledge in that vid looks perfectly reasonable for a straight-on approach, but if you're concerned try it at a bit of an angle. We did ledges much more dramatic than that before ever trimming the plastic mudflaps and cladding on our Gen III. It is useful to practice negotiating such cross-axle situations, though, because the vehicle can lurch quite dramatically; it takes experience to make those weight transfers happen smoothly.

7522076436_70c92196c3_b.jpg

7522075608_54772127eb_b.jpg

7522074840_2f8cec7c30_b.jpg

Thanks Sabre -- this is what I meant for that obstacle and yes, I was looking at an angles approach to make sure I'm not high centered --

"The reason that the best line may result in a lifted wheel is that keeping them all on the ground may result in the vehicle being high centered or impinging at the front or the rear due to steep approach or departure angle"

DeltaFry

Observer
Now the mechanism itself.

We know that the ATC always stays until you are not in 4LLC. Do we put off the ASC while doing the salute or leave it as is?
How do we encourage the ATC to work while on the way to doing the salute? rev more, stay as is with brakes etc.

offthepath

Adventurer
If I understand what your asking correctly, the ASC (automatic stability control?) is what automatically turns off in 4lo and can be turned off manually. This controls skids, doughnuts, all the fun stuff, etc.

ATC (automatic traction control?) is always active and cannot be turned off. This is what controls wheel spin when doing the salute and act as a locker of sorts by modulating the abs on the spinning wheel.

It has worked well for me to just use steady and consistent throttle when the system engages and the truck will quickly respond and begin to claw forward. I think over gassing it is the wrong approach and it should not need any brake input to work.

Fwiw...

DeltaFry

Observer
Thanks Ofthepath. What I meant to ask was are you in 4HLC/ASC-off or on? and if required in 4HLLC - should the ASC be off or kept on?

Appreciate your input here

offthepath

Adventurer
Im not sure I really paid attention. I think it stays on in 4hloc and I have not turned it off. Id say it really would depend on what kind of driving you are doing. The only time I see the ASC needed to be turned off is when your doing some spirited driving and don't want the computer correcting the car.

My impression is that the ASC will not effect any systems of the ATC, which would still function even in 4hi with the ASC engaged.

Hopefully that helps and maybe someone else can clarify too.

DeltaFry

Observer
Thanks Offthepath once again. Got back doing some trails in the Big Bend (State and National Park)... Here is a video(never mind the volume) -
Joined a group of TJ's and 4Runner's. This was my first real experience taking it to 4LLC and moving from Auto to manual gearing. This helped a lot though 4LLC 1st gear needs some learning with the throttle. Was also able to to the salute and the ATC worked when I bumped the throttle a bit when only 2 wheels( 1 front and 1 rear) had traction.

It performed really well. However it was very clear that I need to get some a better clearance. I have Michelin LTX ~31"(P265/65R17) and there is a lot of traction so tire change is not happening now.

Another thing I realized was that the suspension needed to be improved so new Strut's ( they say the spring generally stay - I have a 2005 model). I'm trying to gain advice on the choices I have now:

Easy option 1. Coil Spacers and KYB Struts - Can we add coil spacers for a raise on a Gen 3? If yes, anyone here with experience?, then go with a 33" tire later

Option 2: 2" OME lift - I plan on adding armor and possible a bumper on the front. Does this system maintain it's life or does it start sagging?

Option 3: KYB struts with OME springs - Will the KYB struts be compatible with the change in travel the new springs bring?

Other options are also welcome. Kindly suggest.

Ive had 4 Monteros....3 in overseas areas...like Panama...and Europe. First one was a 1989 2 door!.. Second was a 4 dr...2.8 Turbo diesel( loved that beast!)... 3rd was a 2003 4 door gas XLS....also a very very good vehicle. I had it 13 yrs...and still sold it for 4400!.. I now have a 2005 Montero 3.8l Limited. Bought it down in Texas...Dallas area. Superrrrr vehicle!.. only 90k miles....Midnight Black...Vision Warrior aftermarket 17 x 8 inch cast wheels...the works! I intend on keeping this vehicle as long as I possibly can. I urge anyone interested to really do your homework...look.."nationwide"... on sites like CarGurus...etc. It took me 3 months of searching to find this vehicle. Heres a few pics... of what this bad boy looks like. Take your time...and bargain hard!.. Originally dealer wanted 13k... I finally got the price I wanted it for...9900.00 IMHO...the 4wd system on the Mitusbishi Montero...is one of the best in the world...and that coupled with the Sprotronic transmission that can be driven either in Automatic mode or the manual mode...in dicey weather...snow, ice...mud...up here in the mountains of Western NC... it has always performed flawlessly.

Attachments

• 640x480.jpg
    640x480.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 640x480.jpg-5.jpg
    640x480.jpg-5.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 640x480.jpg-7.jpg
    640x480.jpg-7.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 640x480.jpg-28.jpg
    640x480.jpg-28.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 640x480.jpg-30.jpg
    640x480.jpg-30.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 640x480.jpg-39.jpg
    640x480.jpg-39.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 14
  • JA4MW51S85J004774_1533843651308.jpg1b.jpg
    JA4MW51S85J004774_1533843651308.jpg1b.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 14

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a montero limited between 2003-2006, does this model has a rear differential lock? Is it applied automatically?
If you are new to researching Montero's, they all have a locking center differential. Limited's, 2001-2002 have the Hybrid LSD, (combination of viscous and torsion type, very effective). Here's a brief write up on the Mitsubishi system.
Mitsu Super Select 4WD

Electronic traction control and 4WD/AWD

2003 and up, lose the rear hybrid LSD option, but it replaced by the electronic stability/traction/braking system, often touted as one of the most capable oem off road systems when driven in capable hands.
2003 Limited Motor Trend test

Just didn't want you to miss out on an extremely capable system, due to not specifically having a locking rear differential from the factory.

plh

Explorer
Easy option 1. Coil Spacers and KYB Struts - Can we add coil spacers for a raise on a Gen 3? If yes, anyone here with experience?, then go with a 33" tire later

Option 2: 2" OME lift - I plan on adding armor and possible a bumper on the front. Does this system maintain it's life or does it start sagging?

Option 3: KYB struts with OME springs - Will the KYB struts be compatible with the change in travel the new springs bring?

Other options are also welcome. Kindly suggest.

Buy once, cry once. Bilstein & OME springs. K-Y-B on a Gen 3 ... I can hook you up with a set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles