3rd gen T4R rear door panel replacement

Nicebopo

Hi all, new to the forum, proud new owner of a 2000 T4R with a few mods. planning trip this spring around US. Anyway, been wanting to replace my rear hatch door panel with something a little cooler than the stock plastic ,mines cracked and beat up anyway, was thinking of maybe metal so I can drill into it for storage. I searched and havent been able to find anything online. Concerns are that maybe it wont seal up since the cover now sticks out a bit. Open to any and all ideas. Stoked to be active on this forum more, Im starting a back platform this weekend as well, Ill post pics of the progress.
thanks!
L

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 7

thezentree

pretend redneck
I'd think some sheet metal would be just fine, but keep in mind that if you start hanging stuff from it, your lift struts might not be able to hold it open. Mine are old and won't even hold just the hatch when it's below freezing.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Its been a while but I removed the rear plastic cover when swapping over hatches on my old 4runner. IMO what you are thinking of would be way more hassle then its worth. Most of the lock and rear window mechanisms are in the part of the cover that bulges into the interior so whatever you make you'd have form around all of that (there is a lot of crap under the cover).

As you mentioned I'd also be worried about the seal, rear shocks, and even extra noise/rattling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94