3rd Gen Toyota Pickup - Budget Expo Build

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Hey Richard,

Quick question, were you able to mount the ARB lights in the pre-drilled/tapped bolt holes in the bumper or did you drill new holes for them? Reason for asking is that I bought the ARB "knock-offs" (ARB's are cool, but a little steep $$$..) which are the same diameter and use the same bracket setup as well from what I can tell but no way I can mount them that far back. Looks like yours are further forward as well?

Amazon link to the lights I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194RVUJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lights didn't fit in the pre-drilled/tapped holes as the housing hit the tube at the top of the bumper. The were two larger holes (one per light) that are drilled a little farther forward that I used instead. I have one spot and one flood that make for a great little combo.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Flowmaster 953460 Installation

After 15,000km I realized that I really should have listened to the advice I got from the guys at LCE Performance. Their Pro Flow Exhaust system comes with a very small Magnaflow muffler that sounds wicked... but it has a serious drone on the highway. They said that a Flowmater would be a better bet, but I decided to learn the hard way I guess. Since we're back in the land of long highway drives to get to a trailhead, the drone started to wear on us and it was time for a change.

I ended up buying a 2.25" Flowmaster 60 Series (for a quiet version of my favourite Flowmaster sound) and a Dynomax resonator (to help tone down the drone a little bit more). I figured this would be a nice compromise between an aggressive exhaust note and ear drum comfort while cruising.

Flowmaster 60 Series 953460
Dynomax Race Series Bullet 24234

Video of sound clip HERE

flowmaster-1.jpg

flowmaster-2.jpg

Last edited:

michel77

Adventurer
The lights didn't fit in the pre-drilled/tapped holes as the housing hit the tube at the top of the bumper. The were two larger holes (one per light) that are drilled a little farther forward that I used instead. I have one spot and one flood that make for a great little combo.

Cool, that's what I'll probably end up doing (although not sure yet if I like the 9" lights, they're freaking huge!). Thanks Richard!

Superchief

Wasting time in the cube looking for a solid 3rd gen toy on Craigslist.

Thanks for the build report, and adventure blog. Well done. Let us know when you start the mustang restore.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Wasting time in the cube looking for a solid 3rd gen toy on Craigslist.

Thanks for the build report, and adventure blog. Well done. Let us know when you start the mustang restore.

Thanks for the kind words. Just pulled most of the camping gear off the truck and giving it a good clean right now. Trying to figure out what to do next with it. It's in surprising good shape for how much it has been beat on for the last 80,000km. I guess constant maintenance and replacing parts immediately when something is worn helps with that.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Fresh meat! Just installed a set of BFGoodrich AT KO2 285/75R16s. For the first time since building the truck it is sitting on all terrains. I must be getting soft.

Really stoked to cut down some highway noise and increase traction in the snow this winter. These 33s (approx.) seem to make a great combo with the 4.88s currently in the truck. I'm really happy with the purchase. Now all that's left is to get 'em dirty.

desktoglory_BFG.jpg

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Tires look good.

The truck looks like it's got a little rake to it now with the bed empty.

Oh, it's got A LOT of rake right now and I have already pulled a couple springs out of the OME HD leaf packs... once I add my RTT back on and whatever other gear I decide on, I'll have to see if I have to take any other leaves.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
When taking leaves out, which ones do you pull first? I want to remove a few from my All Pro Expo leaf pack...

I pulled a couple of the overload springs out of the bottom of mine. It'll depend on how your leaves are set up, so it's probably worth a phone call to All Pro.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Element Metal Fab RTT Cross Bars

I figured it was about time to get the RTT back on the truck, but since it's normally parked underground I have limited height to work with. I went with some low rise 6" cross bars from Element Metal Fab. They're a universal set that will fit multiple widths of truck beds.

Now I just need to bolt the to rack the bed rails and get the RTT bolted back on. Fall/winter camping much?!

Element-Fab-1.jpg

Element-Fab-2.jpg

Element-Fab-3.jpg

Element-Fab-4.jpg

Element-Fab-5.jpg

Element-Fab-6.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles