4.56?

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Hello everyone!
Escaped from the Jeep section to take advandage of your knowledge.
I want to replace my rear dana 35 with something stronger.
Thought of your Toyotas...
I will be welding the brakets and therefore i'd like to avoid the extra work and expence of regearing.
So ,i've heard of 96 Tacomas having 4.56 and a locker from the factory,is this true?
Any other ideas?
Thank you in advance!
George.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
I want to replace my rear dana 35 with something stronger.

George, what are some of the axle choices you see in Crete? In the US, Ford 8.8 is a fairly popular Jeep swap. Dana 44 is and always has been popular. I would think the best swap would be to an axle common on Crete to ensure parts availability.

George, I know where you're coming from. I had an MJ that I swapped a blown D35 out of, and an XJ that I swapped a D44 into. The MJ I put a Chrysler 8.25 into. In hindsight, I probably would have not even swapped in the D44 into my XJ. The XJ already had the 8.25, and I took it out because I thought I needed a D44. I was wrong. There are lots of guys that run the 8.25 REALLY HARD without any problems, the main limiting factor is that you can't go any deeper on gears than 4.56.

What Jeep are you working with here? If it's an XJ, I would seriously consider the Chrysler 8.25. It should be easy to source, as it came in most of the late model XJ's (97+) with the straight 6 engine. It would also eliminate needing to do any fab work on welding on spring perches or shock mounts. You should also be able to source it fairly cheap. On the other hand, you'd probably have to regear it. You'll have a hard time finding it in anything other than 3.55's. In the US, this axle would cost you under $100

If you're in a TJ or YJ, the Ford 8.8 is a very popular swap, very strong and also came with disc brakes and is fairly easy to find here in the US with 4.10's and a factory limited slip. With those options, you'd pay around $200 here. Do some reading though, it does require some work to fit. Not a lot, but you should know what you're getting into. Also, if i remember right, the Ford axle is an inch or two narrower than the Jeep axle. Not huge, but something you need to be aware of. A lot of guys run spacers to bump their wheels back into the center of the wheel wells.

The D44 would run you about $300-400 here in the states, and is also probably going to come with 3.55's and drum brakes. The D44's that came in XJ's were only optioned in 1987, so you're likely looking at a full rebuild as well. Not sure if they came optioned in other years overseas. I don't remember the exact axle shaft diameter difference between the 8.25/D44/8.8, but they're all WAY better than that D35.

I like the idea of putting a Toy axle in, that's thinking outside the box for sure. But here are a few other factors you'll have to consider - The factory locker in the Toy axle is an electronic locker, so you'd have to be able to wire that in. The second issue is that IIRC, the Toy axle will be a 6 bolt pattern, and your Jeep is 5. Bummer there is that means you're looking at the idea of carrying two spares, or using some type of redrilled wheel or large wheel spacers, which isn't ideal. I'm not sure what the WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surface) dimension on a Toy axle is.

Not sure if you're familiar with it, but I spent a lot of time on here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/ TONS of great info. It's an XJ site, so that's perfect if that's what you're driving, but even if you're not, read in the Modified Tech section on some of the popular axle swaps. Good luck!

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
George, what are some of the axle choices you see in Crete? In the US, Ford 8.8 is a fairly popular Jeep swap. Dana 44 is and always has been popular. I would think the best swap would be to an axle common on Crete to ensure parts availability.
ΤΟΥΟΤΑ,NISSAN,MITSU,:smiley_drive:
8.8 and dana 44 are rare and cost maybe 4 times the money+regearing +locker...:Wow1:

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
@ OFFTHEBEATENPATH
Thanks for the long respond!
I should have mentioned that i drive a 2.4 TJ(03) 5spd 31/10.5 and moving on to 33's. So my 4.56 is not neggotiable...
Just to give you an idea a 44 here costs 1000euros(1350$) stock...
8.8 is veeeeeeeeery hard to find.
A spacer-adapter would fix the problem of the diff lug pattern and diff width in the same time.
I could get an 8.25 easilly but the TOYO would give me a 4.56 and locker for less than half the money...
The idea is not mine is tryed tested and working.
I got the info from pirate4x4.
I just don;t know from which rig to get the axle out off.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
ΤΟΥΟΤΑ,NISSAN,MITSU,:smiley_drive:
8.8 and dana 44 are rare and cost maybe 4 times the money+regearing +locker...:Wow1:

Sounds like your best swap candidates will be from the three far eastern makers you listed. I have zero input for adapting Japanese brakes or pinion yokes to Jeeps. I will offer that Isuzu Trooper axles have been swapped into Jeeps with success. Are Isuzu Troopers and their Opel re-badged clones available on Crete? The info for Isuzu swaps can be found on the web.

slus

Adventurer
An e-locked 4.56 ratio tacoma diff is on the books (it could be ordered from Toyota directly) but I have never seen one or heard of one in a vehicle. TRD Tacomas are all 4.10 that I have seen, and the majority of locker equipped 3rd gens are 4.30, a few 4.10 apparently.

Some 4 cylinder automatics came with 4.56 gears, but no TRD package on 4 cylinder Tacomas, so no locking diff.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
An e-locked 4.56 ratio tacoma diff is on the books (it could be ordered from Toyota directly) but I have never seen one or heard of one in a vehicle. TRD Tacomas are all 4.10 that I have seen, and the majority of locker equipped 3rd gens are 4.30, a few 4.10 apparently.

Some 4 cylinder automatics came with 4.56 gears, but no TRD package on 4 cylinder Tacomas, so no locking diff.

I think the 2wd v6...

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Sounds like your best swap candidates will be from the three far eastern makers you listed. I have zero input for adapting Japanese brakes or pinion yokes to Jeeps. I will offer that Isuzu Trooper axles have been swapped into Jeeps with success. Are Isuzu Troopers and their Opel re-badged clones available on Crete? The info for Isuzu swaps can be found on the web.

Isuzu???
Yes i can get one...I think they run d44, 6lugs...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne