$46,000 Dollar Overland Trailer?

john61ct

Adventurer
Just taking care with your assembly, QC control hiring quality labor, can double or triple your costs.

The market does not want to pay for quality, successful businesses will go where there is either volume demand, or customers that don't care about price.

In between there be dragons

jeepers29

We camped a couple of weeks ago with a couple that had one.
Remarkable trailer, actually. Like an Autobot sorta; things popped and folded out all over the place.
They're members of the forum, very nice, fun to camp with.

I don't throw stones. Some of my purchases tend toward the precipice of excess at times too.

You can see the trailer here and there in my slideshow of our trip.

Loved the video. Every time I watch one of your vids from a campout, I want to sneak into your group.

Kowboy

Adventurer
My simple thinkin' is that they're priced at 46k 'cause there's folks willin' to spend that on 'em. The marketplace drives the price. If nobody pays the 46k, then the price will come down. I'd be willin' to bet that most of their customers ain't concerned with financin'.

Reality is that there's a lot of folks out there that have a lot of money. And they can spend it as they see fit.

For what it's worth … I wouldn't spend it on a tent trailer. My days in a RTT are long gone.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
All one has to do is go to the RV Horror Stories Facebook page to see that the amount of money you pay for your RV of whatever flavor has little to do the with quality of product you receive!

john61ct

Adventurer
Rather, paying lots is no guarantee, but you sure won't get a good product without paying lots more than the (horrible quality) average.

Grassland

We have been spoiled by the economy of scale the automotive industry gives us
I bought my truck for $32000 basically in 2014. It has a quad cam variable valve timing engine, a transmission, 4x4, electrical system etc.
When you see what you can buy for $32000 for a trailer or camper, it's easy to feel you are getting ripped off.

Especially for the Forest River or Thor trailers. I see some models that RETAIL for $15000 in the USA for sale in central Canada for double that. So if a trailer is retailing for $15000 that means the dealership is making money on top of the manufacturer making money. Many of the smaller overland/offroad trailer makers sell direct to consumer, skipping the mark up of the middle man. But is a trailer built twice as good with twice better material worth 3 times the price?

john61ct

Adventurer
For someone who doesn't worry about money

using it a lot, over many years

in harsh conditions way off the beaten track

yes.

But for those with skillz, and more time than money DIY will be much better value.

slvyj

Observer
I actually think the price in the States for a Patriot is reasonable for its similar priced in Australia. The U.S. importer had to pay for get it certified by the U.S. Gov for importation, pay shipping cost and any import tax and finally the importer needs liability insurance. I recently read a Facebook post by a small trailer builder saying there liability insurance was $30k a year.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Yes people do...and the best part, my wife loves it.

We have my wife and I along with 2 70lb dogs when we go out. We got ours pretty well loaded, redarc TVMS, dual lithium batteries, solar setup, 1000w inverter for her coffee maker, webasto hot water using the 36gal water tanks/tent heater, dual 11lb propane tanks for weber grill & stove.

Here is ours behind my wife’s trailhawk.

We took 7 trips last year (purchased March 2019) with ours. Prior year 0 trips/vacations, prior 2yrs I took 0 vacation days from work. It’s made living in Colorado enjoyable and gets us out and explore and not in the rut we had going on before with work and house projects.
ceed9fc222af598b7b9ac7822142622d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brandon12777

Quality is the reason. I have an X1-H use it for camping with wife +3 boys and dog. Obviously these are not in everyone's budget and I have a lot of respect for everyone that can DIY a lot of stuff to do the same jobs for far less. When I was looking I found that basically anything that would suit my needs started at 20k at least. This is from a Vorsheer post on a trailer for sale "Pricing starts at $19,999 and well equipped around $38,000." It seems like a decent to good trailer. Patriot is one of if not the best trailer in Australia where they are deep into this hobby. To me that delta is too small to not just go with a very top end brand. Black series and other china stuff is not too much cheaper than Patriot but do your research and you'll see all the stuff to fix and modify. Look at regular travel trailers that are 30-50k they are so garbage and anyone who has them has endless stories about things breaking.

buy once cry once.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

This^^^

When I specced out a Conqueror 490 Platinum I was at $62k before tax.

To me, being able to enjoy traveling and exploring now was more important and considering how OCD I am, I would have never been finished with a DIY build and I have enough keeping me busy with jeep mods and house projects on top of the 70hrs/week I work.

So to us, the cost wasn’t an issue seeing quality, fit and finish and the wife being happy (she had never been camping before).

I was more sticker shock buying my truck than the patriot x1 gt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne