463 question regarding electronics

reece146

Automotive Artist
Casually looking at G-Wagens and settling on a 463 possibly.

Does the early 463 have the same level of electronics as the late model ones? 'Guessing not?

What vintage has an ECU for the EFI and/or transmission and nothing else?

Do all 463 have dual front air bags?

zimm

Expedition Leader
like all cars, the older the simpler. the G spans the era that went from mechanical/vacuum everything to electronic wizzardry. MB doesnt seem to rest when it comes to control gadgets.

theres no need to fear electronics though.

mines a 95, one airbag (with the ZiMM disconnect) and i dont think the ecu does anything more than what youre asking. id PM fernweh if he doesnt chime in.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
like all cars, the older the simpler. the G spans the era that went from mechanical/vacuum everything to electronic wizzardry. MB doesnt seem to rest when it comes to control gadgets.

theres no need to fear electronics though.

mines a 95, one airbag (with the ZiMM disconnect) and i dont think the ecu does anything more than what youre asking. id PM fernweh if he doesnt chime in.

Chime, chime.....Sorry I was kind of busy.....

5866123.jpg

5866124.jpg

Noticed down in La Paz that I had a broken right rear spring

So I had to do the deed today......have a look at the spring spacer - still looking like new:victory:

Back to the topic, most the early W463 had a driver air bag only - but not all.

I do love all my electronics, ECU's, SAM's - never had a real problem.

The little electronic quirks are fixed by: Ignition Off - Ignition On = OK

Too bad, there was no computer which told me of the broken spring.... had to figure that out by myself.

Love my G-wagen :smiley_drive:

zimm

Expedition Leader
the spacer is getting me excited, karl. a stack would make me uncontrollable.

one project at a time though. after i wrecked it, i decided to have a better mechanic than me rebuild the transmission. at 3600, its "only" 600 over my estimate. blech.

lift is next... :) like most bargain trucks, by the time i finish i coulda bought a new one... wellll.... not quite. :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Casually looking at G-Wagens and settling on a 463 possibly.

Does the early 463 have the same level of electronics as the late model ones? 'Guessing not?

What vintage has an ECU for the EFI and/or transmission and nothing else?

Do all 463 have dual front air bags?

The preMBUSA W463's('91-01) have less elec's than the '02+ MBUSA rigs, and of the preMBUSA's, the 300GE/G300('91-95'ish??) have less elec's than the G320('96-01). From some of the info I had found so far;
http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=17330&posts=7&highlight=300GE&highlightmode=1#M180119

http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1795&hilit=300ge

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
The 463s are robust and built during an era of exceptional MB quality. It is shocking how good the condition of our 463 with 200,000 miles is.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Sorry, fixed above.

Thanks, much appreciated.

It sounds like a G320 may be the ticket.

This vehicle basically just has electronics to run the engine, automatic transmission, and air bags?

If I add a mild lift and some slightly over sized tires I won't need to do any reprogramming of the system(s)?

Can I do my own maintenance with an OBD-II computer? I'm trying to avoid having to have a M-B specific device for interacting with system(s).

TIA

zimm

Expedition Leader

This vehicle basically just has electronics to run the engine, automatic transmission, and air bags?

If I add a mild lift and some slightly over sized tires I won't need to do any reprogramming of the system(s)?

Can I do my own maintenance with an OBD-II computer? I'm trying to avoid having to have a M-B specific device for interacting with system(s).

TIA

OBD is a US requirement. i think the europa imports had OBD installed. cant say about any others. someone on pointed 3 prolly has that info memorized, or i bet eurotruck imports would have a good idea.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

TIA

AFAIK, engine ECU yes, tranny TCU I don't think, airbag module must have(?).

You could go with Karl's 30mm(soon to have 50mm) lift;
http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/index_files/Page339.htm

Maybe go with 33s? Dunno about how 35s affect things.

Someone on P3 would know more than I regarding the best priced OBD2 interface.

reece146

Automotive Artist
OBD is a US requirement. i think the europa imports had OBD installed. cant say about any others. someone on pointed 3 prolly has that info memorized, or i bet eurotruck imports would have a good idea.

I'm in Canada so I assume any 463 G that is here will be OBD-[1,2]. Maybe that is a bad assumption.

My wife has family in Germany. I've been watching ebay.de casually but the trucks appear to be in poor shape (rust) and the PITA factor is higher than I want.

Are the German trucks not OBD as well or is it M-B diags and OBD is a subset that happens to be there to appease the North American market?

Maybe go with 33s? Dunno about how 35s affect things.

I'd probably set my max tire size at 33". I have some old German language G materials that I picked up at the plant back in 1997 (wife's cousin works there). There is a picture of a red LWB in a desert on what appears to be 35" tires. Looks fantastic but the reality is that the logistics of 35" tires is a pain, possibly more than I'm willing to deal with. I'm tired of modifying trucks ad nauseam to get what I want and am willing to "settle" this time around. I don't go anywhere that needs more than 33" tires.

Thanks everyone.

4x4abc

Adventurer
the amount of work, parts and money to run 33's is no different from installing 35's
in both cases you will need a (spring) lift, you will need new diffs ($$$$$) and a few other mods

so, either keep it stock or go for the optimum off-road tires for the G - 35's

I have been working with G's as expedition vehicles and daily drivers for 25 years

you will regret even an inch taller tire if you don't modify the other hardware (engines are not powerful enough and the diff gears are designed for stock tires only)

I have heard that hundreds of times "I will go for something in between (stock and 35's) and then I don't have to modify anything." Yeah right!

http://www.4x4abc.com/G/35.html
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/crawl.html
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/math.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94