463 question regarding electronics

reece146

Automotive Artist
I've been around 4x4s a long time. I would be re-gearing to run whatever tire size I end up mounting.

I don't need 35" tires for my use case (been there, done that).

Scott Brady

Founder
I would not be quick to modify the G-Wagen. They are impressive in stock form. Install some rock sliders to protect that expensive sheet metal and enjoy the rewards of owning one of the finest 4wds ever built.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
I've been around 4x4s a long time. I would be re-gearing to run whatever tire size I end up mounting.

I don't need 35" tires for my use case (been there, done that).

One set of ring & pinion gears cost you over $800, that doesn't include any bearings, crush sleeves or seals - and competent labor.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, much appreciated.

It sounds like a G320 may be the ticket.

If I add a mild lift and some slightly over sized tires I won't need to do any reprogramming of the system(s)?
TIA

There is nothing to reprogram on these older G-wagen.

Very limited computer access via the Star Diagnose System prior to MY 2002

reece146

Automotive Artist
So 2002 is when the electronics jumped the shark. Good to know. That opens a lot more vehicles to investigate.

Is there a web page / table anywhere that lists the ring and pinion ratios available from M-B? Do any of the traditional gear makers make sets for these trucks? Since the axle already has a locking differential I don't see the ring gear costs as a big deal.

4x4abc

Adventurer
nothing jumped the shark in 2002

yes some new electronic features were added (stability control etc) but when you follow owner reports on the forums closely, you'll see that the pre 2002 models have more electronic component failures than the 2002 (and when you consider that only a few hundred pre 2002 463 series are on the road versus several thousand of the post 2002 463 series - the 2002 and later seem far more reliable).

Only OEM ring and pinion are available for any of the G series. No aftermarket R&P have ever been available.
You are looking at around $1,000 per set of R&P without bearings and labor
rear R&P
front R&P

and yes, you are right, that funny € sign means Euro - $ to € = 1.33:1

here are the 463 R&P gear sets:463 R&P pdf

gear sets for the 460 series:
34:7 , 44:9, 37:7 and 37:6

4x4abc

Adventurer
unbeatable quality - never seen them stripped

unlike Toyota gears (in recent years) and definitely and unlike most aftermarket crap

Toyota diff open.jpg

raicar

The 463s are robust and built during an era of exceptional MB quality. It is shocking how good the condition of our 463 with 200,000 miles is.

Agaaiiin correct - I can't, but agree 100 percent - see picture attached of my 1991 230 Väth 2.6 beauty: As good as it get's!

Attachments

• Early 463's the best out of two world's - built to last.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94