48" vs. 60" Hi-Lift jack

Magoo

Just purchased a 48" extreme Hi-Lift only to have the guy that sold it to me says he had a 48" but had burned up most the travel before the wheels got off the ground so he switched to a 60". His Chevy was lifted farther than my Durango will ever be.

Plan on using it for a recovery situation and in addition to the factory sizzor jack w/AEV JK base and standard bottle jack.

I can take it back and get the 60", but I wanted to hear what others might suggest.

The 48" was my choice because the truck only has a 2" lift that I don't plan on increasing, and 60" just seamed overkill for mild off-road travel. Stowage is still TBD - options are the rear cargo area (extra items removed and stored in under floor compartment), the roof rack, or future rear tire carrier bumper.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've always hadda 48" HiLift, now I have a lifted jeep and I've used it on lifted Dodge Ramchargers/Power Wagons and -

If the jacking height is to troublesome for balance, I've either trussed the HiLift top to a tree, or the axle, so it won't take much lift to clear ground--

I always keep the HiLift INSIDE and I've never had any trouble with the 48"er-

60" is too high and too dangerous !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
There is a thread here somewhere that beats this issue to death already. Sorry, I don't have the motivation to find it and paste it here though....

Magoo

There is a thread here somewhere that beats this issue to death already. Sorry, I don't have the motivation to find it and paste it here though....

I looked a bit and used the search engine and nothing came up. It would be great if the thread was found.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I've never needed the full 60" for jacking. It's very handy when you have to use it as a winch though. I think you will be fine with the 48".

emmodg

Adventurer
If you ever use the HiLift as a come-a-long (and I suggest you learn) you'll loooooooooooove the 60" version! (We don't use the 48" jacks for this reason as well as others.)

If you're having trouble with suspension droop when lifting - lift by the wheel. You can use a tree strap, chain, or a ratchet strap(my favorite I think because you could also remove the wheel this way).

(Actually, this photo shows as explanation of why the old-style red upper clamp makes for weirdness when performing a come-a-long.)

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That picture is a good training tool for sure....

-Having the strap just over the foot on the high-lift is a BAD idea. If the vehicle happens to come forward and release tension the strap can pop off the foot. A pinned on connection at this point is a good idea if your going to use a highlift for winching.

-It's best not to stand between the lever and the attachment line. This is a pinch zone with minimal leverage.

-You shouldn't run the jack all the way up like that, it can get stuck at the top and not able to release tension

-Its best to run a piece of tape or wire over where the chain hook is. This will keep things from falling apart when tension comes off.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
got to have the 60" because the 48" barely reaches my bumper. In any case as a jack I don't really care for them. As a recovery tool, nothing beats them. I use them to stabilize the truck when jacking rather then try to lift the truck with them. Also nice for relocating items in the way that I don't want to winch.

emmodg

Adventurer
The biggest problem in that picture, and the one we're illustrating in it, is the angle at which the strap-to-top clamp achieves.

You'll notice how the strap appears to "move away" from the stanchion - that's not good and it's because the old red top clamps can only be used safely when in-line with the stanchion. Hi Lift fixed this when they designed the new top clamp for the extreme. This new clamp has an attachment point at a right angle to the stanchion. As the nose and top clamp "come together" during operation they are kept in-line with the stanchion and never at an angle.

Having the strap over the nose of the Hi Lift is NOT a bad idea! We tested a chain over the nose and a strap over the nose (this was performed over 30 times) and the strap NEVER came off. The chain came off twice. This exercise is performed by us numerous times a month every month and we have never had that strap break, slip, bind, or otherwise become "compromised". A "pinned on" connection to what? Not the casting webbing on the nose and adding yet another piece of hardware to an already "hardware-rich" recovery is somewhat dangerous in and of itself. First rule of a recovery rig: Keep it simple! More hardware is more shrapnel! Before any recovery an assessment must be performed where possible dangerous scenarios are taken into account - trucks rolling forward is one such scenario. The rig should be set up to keep the jack operator as far from the vehicle as possible.

Have you ever scene a Hi Lift jack lever swing up under "power" against the stanchion during a come-a-long? You can move the direction lever up or down and that handle will not move under any load. Now, jacking a truck up is another matter! What we call "the no-go-zone" between the handle and stanchion is NEVER entered under any circumstances!!! One of our instructors saw someone almost loose and eye and I have personally seen someone get their head beat between the stanchion and handle 3 times before they got their head out!!! (They were wearing their Kevlar thank God!) The handle comes up and down that fast when something goes wrong when it's being used as a jack. If you loose a shear pin or climbing pin the whole rig collapses in a com-a-long. The handle has nothing to slam against.

I'm not sure why you'd go to the trouble of wiring or taping the choke hook to a chain link. When you relieve tension to re-set or take down the rig re-setting chain length quickly with ease is the point behind the chain. It's one of the ONLY times you'll see us use chain. (It's heavy, and unless you're using Grade 8 3/8", in which case its VERY heavy, it's relatively weak compared to straps and winch extension.) I always ask students: Which would you rather have me throw as hard as I can at your face? Chain? or Strap?

You can run the nose/lift trolley all the way up or down. In fact, if you use it as a spreader that's what happens quite a bit. If you're jack is getting stuck ANYWHERE along the stanchion - top, bottom or middle - take better care of your jack. We see a lot of brand new jacks and especially military-owned jacks stick from no-use and all the damn paint! The military likes to spray the whole damn jack, springs, pins, joints, stanchion and all!

I enclosed a diagram of our whole "kitandkaboodle" so to speak. You can take the chain out if not needed or the winch extension if not needed. (I've just used 2 straps before.) The nice thing about what you see here is the ability to re-set your rig quickly, safely and easily. Put a chain sinnet in the winch extension to eat up slack and finish the fine tune by choking up on your chain. (You can see here why the 48" jack is tedious as you're only moving your load a couple feet at a time once all your stretch is out of your rig.)

Attachments

• come-a-long.jpg
    come-a-long.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 77

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The biggest problem in that picture, and the one we're illustrating in it, is the angle at which the strap-to-top clamp achieves.

You'll notice how the strap appears to "move away" from the stanchion - that's not good and it's because the old red top clamps can only be used safely when in-line with the stanchion. Hi Lift fixed this when they designed the new top clamp for the extreme. This new clamp has an attachment point at a right angle to the stanchion. As the nose and top clamp "come together" during operation they are kept in-line with the stanchion and never at an angle.

I agree the old style sucks.

Having the strap over the nose of the Hi Lift is NOT a bad idea! We tested a chain over the nose and a strap over the nose (this was performed over 30 times) and the strap NEVER came off. The chain came off twice. This exercise is performed by us numerous times a month every month and we have never had that strap break, slip, bind, or otherwise become "compromised". A "pinned on" connection to what? Not the casting webbing on the nose and adding yet another piece of hardware to an already "hardware-rich" recovery is somewhat dangerous in and of itself. First rule of a recovery rig: Keep it simple! More hardware is more shrapnel! Before any recovery an assessment must be performed where possible dangerous scenarios are taken into account - trucks rolling forward is one such scenario. The rig should be set up to keep the jack operator as far from the vehicle as possible.

I also prefer to use the strap over the foot. I think this always works better.

Having had the strap slide off of the foot, and then 'pop' as the rigging came back under tension, as vehicle lurched and rolled funny I ALWAYS recommend securing the strap to the foot. On most new high lifts there is a hole in the foot that can be used for this. I have used a lot of different things....a stick, pin, zip tie, etc. There is no need to add compounding hardware under tension, but it functions more as a safety device.

Have you ever scene a Hi Lift jack lever swing up under "power" against the stanchion during a come-a-long? You can move the direction lever up or down and that handle will not move under any load. Now, jacking a truck up is another matter! What we call "the no-go-zone" between the handle and stanchion is NEVER entered under any circumstances!!! One of our instructors saw someone almost loose and eye and I have personally seen someone get their head beat between the stanchion and handle 3 times before they got their head out!!! (They were wearing their Kevlar thank God!) The handle comes up and down that fast when something goes wrong when it's being used as a jack. If you loose a shear pin or climbing pin the whole rig collapses in a com-a-long. The handle has nothing to slam against.

Yes, I have seen people fail to make a complete stroke on the jack handle while using it as a come-a-long after loosing their footing. With enough tension in the system this usually results in the lever smartly smacking the chain. The lever CAN and WILL ********** whatever is in that area if your not paying attention 100% of the time. Why stand there at all?

I'm not sure why you'd go to the trouble of wiring or taping the choke hook to a chain link. When you relieve tension to re-set or take down the rig re-setting chain length quickly with ease is the point behind the chain. It's one of the ONLY times you'll see us use chain. (It's heavy, and unless you're using Grade 8 3/8", in which case its VERY heavy, it's relatively weak compared to straps and winch extension.) I always ask students: Which would you rather have me throw as hard as I can at your face? Chain? or Strap?

Again, IF your going to use chain like that why not spend the 30 seconds to be careful and tape or wire the hook? Having seen chain slack and 'pop' off the hook after it has moved I highly recommend it. Pulling is not always a static operation, in my opinion the system needs to be able to be fully under tension, go fully slack, and go back under full tension with ZERO chance of anything coming undone. Safe is Safe.

You can run the nose/lift trolley all the way up or down. In fact, if you use it as a spreader that's what happens quite a bit. If you're jack is getting stuck ANYWHERE along the stanchion - top, bottom or middle - take better care of your jack. We see a lot of brand new jacks and especially military-owned jacks stick from no-use and all the damn paint! The military likes to spray the whole damn jack, springs, pins, joints, stanchion and all!

You can run your jack all the way up against the top attachment and run out of room to be able to get the 'half-click' you need to change direction on the jack. This has nothing to do with care of the jack, its a mechanical limitation.

I enclosed a diagram of our whole "kitandkaboodle" so to speak. You can take the chain out if not needed or the winch extension if not needed. (I've just used 2 straps before.) The nice thing about what you see here is the ability to re-set your rig quickly, safely and easily. Put a chain sinnet in the winch extension to eat up slack and finish the fine tune by choking up on your chain. (You can see here why the 48" jack is tedious as you're only moving your load a couple feet at a time once all your stretch is out of your rig.)

Yes, I am very familiar with the rigging for pulling. In that pic you show the jack close to the load. I do not recommend that if at all possible. You also mentioned it above. Recovery is not a race 99.99% of the time. I HIGHLY recommend taking the extra 2 minutes here and there 'lock' the rigging in place so that it cannot shift and 'pop' as the vehicle moves, lurches, or falls of a cliff.....

emmodg

Adventurer
If you're using a Hi Lift come-a-long to recover a vehicle periously close to falling off a cliff you've got bigger problems!

I guess I don't see what you mean by "taping" or "wiring" the chain hook. You can put tremendous amounts of pressure in the rig and then purposely move the truck forward and the rig drops. Maybe you've seen one pop-off from not being choked on the chain correctly in the first place?

When you say "full stroke" pertaining to the jack handle what do you mean? We NEVER go full stroke, just click-to-click.

Zip ties, pins, and sticks(how did you secure a strap to the nose with a stick?) won't do a thing if that strap ever wants to come off. (We did it over 30 times and couldn't get it to come off.)

Never been unable to get the lifting trolley stuck by being too far up or down the stanchion. I'm not saying you haven't but we have over 20 trucks, each with it's own Hi Lift, some brand new, some old as dirt but they are all taken care of and none of them have gotten stuck when limited out on the stanchion.

The diagram was whipped up last night on Illustrator in 6 minutes - you're right I would flip the rig to get away from the load.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If you're using a Hi Lift come-a-long to recover a vehicle periously close to falling off a cliff you've got bigger problems!

Perhaps, but sometimes your better off going overkill on rigging safety, that is all I am saying.

I guess I don't see what you mean by "taping" or "wiring" the chain hook. You can put tremendous amounts of pressure in the rig and then purposely move the truck forward and the rig drops. Maybe you've seen one pop-off from not being choked on the chain correctly in the first place?

Basically make it so the chain hook, the hook of the chain that goes back on itself, can't come off without you taking that direct action.

I have seen rigging MORE than once shift causing slack in the chain, and re-tension as the vehicle shifts. In that spit second the hook can come out of its ideal position and basically pop off when the rigging come back under tension. A simple wrap of duct tape that takes like 5-seconds to put on keeps the hook from moving IF the rigging slacks off.

When you say "full stroke" pertaining to the jack handle what do you mean? We NEVER go full stroke, just click-to-click.

Basically if you can't get to the next click......pull, pull, pull, slip you footing, and then the handle swings and hits something in the danger zone above the handle.

Zip ties, pins, and sticks(how did you secure a strap to the nose with a stick?) won't do a thing if that strap ever wants to come off. (We did it over 30 times and couldn't get it to come off.)

Again, I use this technique to prevent the strap from coming off the foot when the rigging has slacked and re-tensioned. Its just a safety measure, not a load bearing retention. It also helps you keep everything in the right place when your trying to tension the rig initially.

Never been unable to get the lifting trolley stuck by being too far up or down the stanchion. I'm not saying you haven't but we have over 20 trucks, each with it's own Hi Lift, some brand new, some old as dirt but they are all taken care of and none of them have gotten stuck when limited out on the stanchion.

I have. Maybe its a top 'foot' adjustment thing. It has happened to me for sure.....and I just asked the other engineer in the office and he complained that issue for a few minutes when I mentioned it :)

The diagram was whipped up last night on Illustrator in 6 minutes - you're right I would flip the rig to get away from the load.

Magoo

rack.jpgstorage area.jpg

Sounds like there are lots of different reasons to carry one or the other depending on individual use, but no one reason why not to go with one particular size.

I guess for me I am going to stick with the 48" - works for the use and by splitting the tool apart I was able to store most of the jack in the storage area with only the I-Beam on the rack. I used the Baja rack bolts and nuts for now, but I plans on switching to some type of locking bolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz