4Door Bronco build

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Awesome concept. A "Sublazer" has been on my top five list for years. Obviously not as classy as a 1st gen Bronco but I like the idea of fun (what I have now in the K5) plus tons of space (what I lack now in the K5).

Broncos are even smaller so this is an even bigger enhancement for that platform. Get's me thinking...

Looks great so far, I will be watching this one.

Have you considered trying to build the top in pieces? The fiberglass tops are so damn heavy and awkward it almost becomes a hardtop with it on. Is the standard Bronco top pretty light? I've not spent much time around them.

patl

Adventurer
No, even the stock half cab top is more than 1 person wants to handle alone. For the full size top you will definitely need a couple of friends. Not something you want to take off and on on a regular basis. Even this stretched half cab top is a handful for 2 people.

patl

Adventurer
Well, it finally happened. The tub was moved into the booth this evening and white base coat sprayed.

White paint 3.JPG

White paint 7.JPG

White paint 1.JPG

Doesn't look it, but the color is a very bright white. Monday will begin sanding and clear coats going on.

A little news for those in the area for the "Shades of The Past" rod run this weekend in Pigeon Forge, Tn - the blue Bronco Thomas took to SEMA last year will be in the Meguiars booth Saturday. Stop by and take a look at the custom tube frame and finish on this Bronco. Really sweet!

Also on Saturday September 20th the open house will take place at the new shop. Info is available on their facebook page at www.facebook.com/krawlersedge. Come out and have lunch and see the shop. Four door should be back by then and sitting on the frame.

patl

Adventurer
Seen at the "Shades"- a potential vintage Overlander.

Shades 2014 004.JPG

Shades 2014 003.JPG

Just got a call from the fiberglass guys- first top being laid as I type. Finally coming together!

patl

Adventurer
Top section coming out of the mold. Will be trimmed to fit and set onto other section of the mold tonight.

First top coming out of mold 003.JPG

patl

Adventurer
Top for Rick's 4 door done except for a little trimming and polishing.

003.JPG

Mine will be done this weekend.

patl

Adventurer
Well, here it is folks- tub is done. Since Thomas is at the "Grand " show in Pigeon Forge this weekend with the blue Bronco, it won't be back in the shop until Monday. Doors, fenders, tailgate, etc. will follow by the end of next week. Really happy with the results.

Tub painted 012.JPG

Tub painted 006.JPG

Tub painted 002.JPG

Last edited:

patl

Adventurer
Thanks Andy. Finally coming together. How's your 4bt project coming along. Haven't seen any recent posts on classic.

big a

Adventurer
Well, my friend, it's sitting in my friend's garage with boxes all around it. We decided to sell our house and move out of town a little ways where I can build a shop. Man, we've gone under contract 3 times and made it to closing twice only to find out on the day of closing 2 different times the buyers' financing fell through. It's been frustrating to say the least! So, I've been living vicariously through your build :) !!!

I hope to be back at it b4 the end of the yr!

I have got to work a little on my friend's build. He's dropping a modified Mitsubishi 4D55 diesel in a Bronco II. It's been a fun project. He rebuilt the 4D55 out of an old mighty max he found in a field and dropped it in. Then, decided he wanted more power, so he pulled it and it's at the machine shop now. He's stroking it with a 4D56 crank, shaving the pistons for clearance, addind a 4D56 flat bottom head, using a Garret turbo and adding water/meth injection.

Last edited:

big a

Adventurer
I just noticed your fabricated piece where the stock air box goes on the passenger side. Are you putting a vintage air box up under there? I raised that portion of the slope and welded up the hole in the kick panel for extra clearance.

patl

Adventurer
Will be a covered box for computer for EFI and other electronics- relays, expanded fuse block, etc. Good eye. I feel for you on the house sale. Rick is experiencing similar frustration which is holding back progress on his build. There is a 4bt sitting in the shop which is going to be freshened and installed in his 4dr- one day!

big a

Adventurer
Yeah man, it's a bummer! But, it'll all work out in the end. The housing market here is very strong. I haven't had a hard time at all getting a contract! It's the closing part that's been the challenge, lol!!! The latest one was this past Monday! We found out 2 hrs before closing.

I feel for your friend, this isn't any fun! And, when I walk by my bronco, I just urn to finish her, LOL!!!! But, it has been fun working with my friend on his rig and watching the progress on your's!!!

big a

Adventurer
Very nice!!! That was a great idea!!! That's the fun part about working on these old broncos! It's just all sheet metal, so it's so easy to fabricate anything you can think of on it!!!!

plumber mike

Adventurer
Wow! I guess my mind was expecting to see OJ's repo stretched on a f350 chassis......centurion style

.....but your building a real bronco crew cab:victory:

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94