4R100 UJOR build question

Jeffh555

Observer
I just went down this path, My 2000 7.3 has stage 1.5 injectors and I wanted a transmission that would handle 400hp if I decided to upgrade the turbo later.

I wasn't able to find any local recommended shops that wanted to do a rebuild with some upgrades, or really seemed like they knew what they were talking about regarding performance 4R100s. Everyone just wanted to sell me a reman Jasper ($3k) or a John Woods ($5k), and then charge me to install it.

I ended up buying a reman transmission from dieselsite.com. It ended up costing between the two above options, return freight was surprisingly reasonable.
https://www.dieselsite.com/4r100heavydutytransmission.aspx

I was also on the fence about doing it myself. I'm pretty confident in my skills, but that's a very large transmission. I borrowed this transmission jack from a friend, and was able to R&R the transmission by myself, only needed a buddy to help lift the transmission from the crate onto the jack.
https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-69685.html

I should be getting drivelines on Thursday and my fuel tank on Friday, so I hope to have it driving by the end of the weekend.

kcernest

Observer
TrevorK & JeffH555 thank you both so much for your input, that's the kind of info I was hoping for.

I'm not looking to save money for it's own sake, just looking at cost vs opportunity cost. I think the cost of a new unit may be worth it compared to the time/money/ possible bad outcome of doing it myself.

I'll take that advice on the Tcase since I'll be doing that myself regardless and go from there. I suspect I'll be buying a reman from Ford since they are the same price as a Jasper and come with a 3 year warranty.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

kcernest

Observer
Anyone have any input on Monster transmissions? They have an "HD" 4r100 for sale on their site for just $1700 with a three year warranty. I don't know anyone that's had direct experience with them though.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

jblaze5779

Observer
I bought a 4x4 4r100 and I'm in the same boat. The fluid in this pulled transmission is bright red but I have no history of it so I'm not sure how it'll work. The shops here are quoting 1700 for the rebuild. Pretty sizeable gamble to just put it in and see what happens vs paying the 1700 to have it rebuilt even it may not need it.

Was thinking about running it for a bit locally and see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke