4Runner 5th Gen Fog Light Upgrade

Carb850

I have a 2016 4Runner. Recently I upgraded the headlights to the modified H9 bulb. I cannot imagine a better $25 spent. The headlights went from subpar to useable. Next I'm turning my attention to the driving/fog lights. Right now, I cannot hardly tell if they are on or off. I first considered the Philips LED H16. However, it seems like it isn't much difference than the stock bulbs and at $150+ they are not cheap. I believe the factory bulbs are rated fro about 700 lumens. They claim these Philips are rated for 700 but equivalent to 1200 lumen halogen. That doesn't make since to me, but whatever. Either way, I don't think they are supposed to be much brighter than stock. The next option I considered is the Baja Designs Squadron Sports. These are $300+, but my biggest concern is that I have seen a number of warnings that they are too bright for public roads. Awhile down the road, I want to get a hybrid bumper and light bar for offload, but for now my fog/driving lights are something want to be able to use on the road.

My option A seems insufficient and my option B seems to be too bright. What is the goldilocks lighting solution?

Carb850

I don’t feel the H9 are any worse than the factory bulbs in my application far as blinding others. I haven’t had a single person flash me and the beam pattern seems near identical.

I appreciate your response and can’t argue your reasoning with my fogs,

The more I think about it, I may do the Baja Designs Sport Fogs and just save them for foul weather and off-road excursions. I rarely encounter either but additional lighting would be appreciated either way. Also, it may be years before I go for the Hybrid bumper.

Mgyver1

Observer
KC makes OEM fit LED fog lights for Toyotas that are DOT compliant. You can get either clear or amber. Yes they cost a decent amount but they're legal and you get what you pay for, the quality of the product and/or R&D of the product.

Take a look and see if they look like they have the same housing as yours. It says it fits up to a '12 4Runner, but I wonder how much Toyota changed their mounts in '13.

http://www.kchilites.com/light-type...ed-g4-toyota-tacoma-led-fog-light-system.html

NightGlow

Check out Xenon Depot (http://www.xenondepot.com) or research on the T4R.org forum as there are many good discussions about upgrading the 4-Runners lighting. I added the HID kit and properly adjusted the low beams and now can see and never get flashed by oncoming traffic. As for the fogs, the yellow Phillips bulbs also made a significant difference in the rain and snow of Colorado. I find it is better to ask drivers who have used these products versus just reading the marketing bullet points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior