4Runner Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier

Latetom

Observer
We are driving a 2014 Toyota 4Runner around the world. It is currently parked outside of Cape Town, South Africa. We started our drive when I was 66 and I am now 71. The 4Runner's spare is located under the rear and I am thinking it would be much better (if I need to use it and no one is around to help) if it is located in a more accessible place. Therefore am thinking of replacing the existing bumper with a new bumper and swing arm for tire, etc.

Anyone want to make a recommendation for a bumper/tire carrier -- needs to be compatible with ladder to the roof rack -- for me to have installed in Cape Town?

Anyone want to make a recommendation on a shop that will do the installation for me in the Cape Town area?

Thanks for any thoughts on my issue.

alanymarce

I can see that if you're bogged in deep sand or in water/mud then access to the spare is problematic. I think you have the following options:

1) Live with it - you're unlikely to have a flat tyre at the same time as being bogged in water or deep mud, so the risk is low. It's possible that you could have a flat in deep sand, and this would mean digging out to get at the spare (you presumably have a shovel) - this could happen if you find a sharp stump in the sands in Moremi for example. Even so, the risk is low, with appropriate driving care, and if you keep the mechanism lubricated and working then it's not a major problem. This keeps the CoG low and doesn't increase the polar moment of inertia.

2) As you're asking, find a swing-out mount: this will add to the polar moment of inertia, and adds stress to the structure, but the vehicle should be OK if it's properly designed and fitted. As you suspect, you'll probably need a different bumper - more mass, more work. There's also the cost, of course.

3) If you have space on the roof rack, keep the spare there. This adds to the CoG, of course, and is not easily accessible, however if bogged in sand it's not trapped below the vehicle. I've seen designs for a carrier which is essentially a flat support for the spare, with a strop which is used to pull the spare out and then lower it using the strop as a brake. More expense and not really a good solution if you're less agile than you used to be (as in my case).

4) Sort out a way to mount the spare on the bonnet/hood. This gives the best access, and keeps the added mass low, although you need to make sure you don't contravene any vehicle safety regulations, and also need to recognise that you're adding mass to the bonnet/hood making it less easy to lift for routine access (filling screenwash reservoir, checking fluid levels, etc.).

I'd probably go for (1).

In terms of a workshop in Cape Town, I'd go to Bidvest McCarthy Tableview. They were helpful when we had out LC80 serviced, and although I don't think they'll offer a bumper/swing arm it would be a good place to start, I think.

thezentree

pretend redneck
I can't really speak for 5th gens, but I have a 4xInnovations rear bumper with swingout on my 3rd gen that is one of my favorite upgrades I've made. It's super well made, and has taken a ton of rock hits over the years, but I do more rock crawling day trips or whatever than I do long term overlanding, so that may not mean as much to you. On that same point, I took a buddy from work who just bought a bone stock 5th gen on a trail ride a couple weeks ago, and he was constantly dragging his spare tire across rocks to the point that we were both a little concerned that he was going to tear the sidewall.

alanymarce makes some great points too. The other thing, and please don't take this the wrong way, is that spare tires are heavy. Are you able to lift a spare on and off of a swingout, or especially the roof? I'm a younger guy and I don't want to be trying to get an 80lbs spare on and off the roof. Can your (I assume) wife do that if you're sick or hurt? Maybe that's not a concern you have, but it's something to consider.

alanymarce

The other thing, and please don't take this the wrong way, is that spare tires are heavy. Are you able to lift a spare on and off of a swingout, or especially the roof? I'm a younger guy and I don't want to be trying to get an 80lbs spare on and off the roof. Can your (I assume) wife do that if you're sick or hurt? Maybe that's not a concern you have, but it's something to consider.
This is a very good point. When we were carrying a second spare on the roof rack we used a sling to lower and lift the spare wheel. It worked well. The other aspect is access to the roof rack - we have a step which provides access; a ladder would be good but adds mass. We longer carry a second spare and both of our current vehicles have spare wheel carriers built in to the rear door.

nonuniform

I've got a 5th gen 4R, and have often thought about a bumper mounted swing-out spare tire option. Having come from the world of Jeeps, it seems like a natural thing. So far, I've found having a second spare is more important on long trips through rocky terrain.

Unless you can somehow access your rear storage area without needing to first swing the tire carrier out of the way, I think you will quickly regret the tire carrier idea.
Unpinning, swinging out, swinging in and then re-pinning that carrier EVERY time you get into the back hatch gets very old very fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94