4th Generation 4runner vs. 05 Xterra

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
4runner vs. 05' Xterra, pros and cons, they both seem to be very good vehicles, for expedition use in Latin America you would take....:confused:

Brian894x4

Explorer
I don't know much about the Nissan, but I would take the FJ hands down and here's why.

The FJ is based on the 4Runner frame and suspension, which is based on the overseas IFS mini-Land Cruisers. It's an extremely heavy duty, using well designed parts that have been severely tested overseas.

I'm not a huge fan of the body, but it's whats underneith that counts. The engine and T-case have both been around since 2003 or longer with no problems that I'm aware of. The trannys are a bit newer, I think, but I haven't heard of any issues with them.

The bottom line is that it is the exact same components you see on the FJ are used all over Africa, South America and Australia on older mini-Land Cruisers, and 2005 and newer Hilux trucks, in harsher conditions than anyone could imagine here. I don't think the Xterra can say the same.

Although I have to admit, the Xterra has come a long way from it's original model.

However, that all said, if given a choice, I'd probably buy and rebuild a Land Cruiser 80 series for a trip like that, sinces parts and service availability down there is probably more favorible to the 80 and the 80 is just plain bullet proof, from what I hear. It's also a more common rig down there and probably would draw less attention to yourself than an FJ would, which would probably be a good thing in that part of the world.

Edit: Whoops, I see you already have an LX450. I'd take that, over either the FJ or Xterra. But of course I can only speak based on theory.

Last edited:

Bergger

Explorer
However, that all said, if given a choice, I'd probably buy and rebuild a Land Cruiser 80 series for a trip like that, sinces parts and service availability down there is probably more favorible to the 80 and the 80 is just plain bullet proof, from what I hear. It's also a more common rig down there and probably would draw less attention to yourself than an FJ would, which would probably be a good thing in that part of the world.

I agree with the above for the same reasons. Now if you are looking at those two vehicles as a second vehicle then either is a good choice. I just bough an 06 Xterra OF and my neighbor bought an 06 4Runner Sport the next day. Comparing them as stock vehicles each has pros/cons. The 4Runner has slightly more cargo space, V8 (261hp/306ft/lb), known releability, slightly higher interior quality. The Xterra, interior more camping friendly(fold flat easily removable seats, wipe down cargo space with numerous tie downs, lower price, avail rear locker, V6 (265hp/284ft/lb). Both have a good supply of aftermarket parts/accessories. Both drive well. I looked at both vehicles and decided to go with the Nissan. The primary reason was the great deal I got, 23k. Having never owned a Nissan I was a little nervous about the reliability but in talking to other owners they seem happy. I suggest you go test drive both trucks and get the one that feels right. I think you'll be slightly surprised by the new Xterra and with the deals they have on the 06's right now I think its the best bang for the buck.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Well I bought a 03' 4Runner V8 Allwheel drive with low range, sunroof and rear spoiler 39k miles, it is a TOYOTA so time will tell.
I plan to keep this vehicle up to 100k, let's see how well it does.Planning a trip to Guatemala/ Belize in 2007. Let the mods begin. Tires , tires , tires.

I also considered a Nissan NISMO Fontier and XTERRA, however after I am done with some mods I should be able to brake even?!The main reason I bought an SUV is so that we may sleep inside the vehicle, safer since we had some close calls before in our travels, specialy in remote areas of Mexico.

And I could have bought a Xterra at 23k, however I think I might get more for my money with the
4Runner, ( a poors man Landcruiser if you wish ) Oh! my first used car in a long while...

Last edited:

txsurfer

HEY! I am about to make almost the same trip from Houston. I own a 97 RAV4 and a friend and I are heading down into Mexico for 2 months. We were planning to take Gulf route all the way through Punta Allen in the Yucitan and down into Belize. From there cross over into the Peten in Guatemala and surf Guatemala then surf and camp all the way back up the coast of Mexico. We are now considering ditching the Belize and Peten areas because of time constraints. I just dont want to be driving that long! O well. When are you headed down????? We are leaving around may20th.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
txsurfer said:
HEY! I am about to make almost the same trip from Houston. I own a 97 RAV4 and a friend and I are heading down into Mexico for 2 months. We were planning to take Gulf route all the way through Punta Allen in the Yucitan and down into Belize. From there cross over into the Peten in Guatemala and surf Guatemala then surf and camp all the way back up the coast of Mexico. We are now considering ditching the Belize and Peten areas because of time constraints. I just dont want to be driving that long! O well. When are you headed down????? We are leaving around may20th.

Well we are planning for September or October, however i was told it was the raining season, so we may change our dates accordingly. I am planning on a 30 day cruise trhu Belize? Guatemala and Mexico and we are also planning on departing thru Matamoros and stay in the Golf coast.

1st day drive should be from Matamoros to Tuxpan
2nd day Tuxpan to Coxaculco
3rd day Tuxpan to Chetumal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94