4WC Hawk custom expedition camper for sale

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
OUTBACKAMPER custom expedition camper for sale

OUTBACKAMPER FOR SALE: 2004 FOUR WHEEL CAMPERS, HAWK SHELL MODEL C/W MODIFICATIONS
See the Four Wheel Campers website for general information:
www.fourwheelcampers.com

IMG_0587small.jpg

thumb_IMG_0413small.jpg

normal_IMG_0584small.jpg

normal_IMG_0362small.jpg

normal_IMG_0418small.jpg

thumb_IMG_0409small.jpg

This camper will fit any full size short box truck including Nissan Titan, Toyota T100 and Tundra, (does not fit 01-03 Ford Supercrew) however it is 3” taller than standard to fit a Ford Superduty truck, therefore it will have a larger than normal gap between truck roof and camper cabover if installed on a non Ford truck.

2004 Hawk Shell Model

Base Price: $5,695.00
Factory Options:
Aux Battery System: $395,.00
Jacks $500.00
Extra roof vent $145.00
48” Extended Bed $475.00
Power Roof Vent: $295.00
Privacy Curtains: $110.00
Rear Food Lights: $165.00
Rear Wall Steps $195.00
Yakima Roof Tracks: $230.00
Screen Door $235.00
Side Awning 8’: $585.00
Side Awning Light: $45.00
Swing Out Jack Brackets: $125.00

Sub-total Options: $3,500.00

Doc Fee; $45.00
Installation Fee: $295.00
Sales Tax: $716.10

Total: $10,251.10USD

MODIFICATIONS TO CAMPER:

Since the camper interior was completely empty it gave us a chance to build the interior to suit our needs. We did not want a propane tank, propane furnace and propane cooktop for 2 reasons. Firstly there is so little room in this camper that this would really be a waste of valuable space. We wanted more storage than is typical in a compact camper not less. Second, most of our camping will be in mild to hot weather, and we prefer to cook outside. Because the Hawk camper was made 3” higher than usual to fit the 2003 F350 we had 6’6” interior headroom, this allowed us to build up the floor 5” to form a storage basement and still have adequate (6’1”) headroom, we are both 5’10”. Here is the list of what we have done:

INTERIOR:

* Custom built interior cabinets, counter and lower bunk/seat (with storage, 20 gal water tank, and dual optima blue top batteries below) made from 9/16” plywood and formica (colour: Arctic Terra). Storage space under seat is large enough for 2 NATO Jerry cans (water) standing upright, plus lots of extra storage space. There is also storage space below the sink, counter and fridge platform as well as concelled storage behind the fridge(access from the top when camper is popped up).
* Blue fabric upholstered cushions for seat and lower bed. Colour and fabric is very similar to the factory upholstery on the cab-over bed, but not identical.
* Safe (combination and key lock) bolted through camper floor
* Folding table, can be installed to make larger lower bunk (complete with extra matching cushions). Table is “Lifetime” 24” x 48” with plastic top and folding steel legs and is not designed to be used inside the camper.
* Custom built kitchen food box with matching formica covered lid.
* Custom built Stove box has indentations and tie downs, on top, for propane cylinder and camp bucket. Box fits in boot tray space (the part of the floor just inside the door that is not built up 5”)
* Interior stainless steel sink and cold water tap (12 volt and manual override).
* 5” raised floor/basement storage.
* 27,000 btu forced air heater using engine coolant.
* Engel 45 litre 12 volt/110volt fridge/freezer with transit bag and transit slide lock (fridge can be moved outside, can be used as a fridge on short trips and a freezer on longer trips, providing frozen cold packs for use in conventional cooler).
* Shell/BP 75 watt solar panel with interior control panel.
* Xantrex700 watt inverter.
* Second Optima Blue Top battery added
* Porta-potti.
* High and low pressure water hook-ups with water filter and shurflow pump.
* Window tint (all except window in door)
* Smoke and CO detectors

EXTERIOR:

* Outside shower with heat exchanger for hot water from engine coolant.
* Filler for water tank (hose bib and gravity fill)
* Drain fitting for sink (includes drain hose)
* Bumper Platform/Step: a folding aluminum ladder and second propane cylinder were stored on a custom made plywood platform mounted to the truck rear bumper. The platform is covered in truck bed liner and has plated steel tie downs.
* Hi-Lift Jack bracket
* Custom exterior graphics (Canadaian flag, “OutbacKamper” & “www.expeditioncampers.com”) to be removed

GENERAL COMMENTS:

The total cost of the modifications (parts only, not including labour) is approx $3500USD. These modifications could be easily changed or removed to suit the new owners requirements. The only modifications that penetrate through the camper wall and could not easily be removed are the outside shower, sink drain fitting and the water filler.

CONDITION:

This camper is 2 years old (picked up at the factory on Aug 03, 2004). It has been used continuously for approx 7 1/2 months in Australia and approx 1 1/2 months in North America. It has the normal amount of minor wear that you would expect in a camper that has been used for 9 months.

Here is a list of some minor issues that have occurred, and the present status of each:

1) Camper ties downs: The factory supplied tie downs have a tendency to work loose over time. I have added a 2nd nut to each turnbuckle, and a hole for safety wire. Once the turnbuckles were modified I have had no problems with them working loose.
2) Rear window: The window in the door partially fell out, due to a very poor design. I have siliconed the glass in place and have not had a problem since.
3) Fasteners: various screws and staples used in the factory interior finishing have worked loose or fallen out. These are very minor and easy to fix. Although I must admit that I haven’t fixed them yet.
4) Alluminum cracks: I have noticed a few small (ie: 1/2” - 3/4” long) hairline cracks in the aluminium siding around window and door openings.
5) Rear Porch Light: the rear porch light failed in Australia, so I repaired it as best I could by installing the guts of a new light inside the existing housing. The light worked for a while and then quit again. Now it is working again. It would probably be wise to replace the light !
6) The Marinco plug that connects the truck to the camper is worn and not easy to plug in correctly. The plug should be replaced.
7) Misc: I had several minor electrical connections work loose while in Australia. These have all been repaired
8) We found the stock cab-over mattress to be uncomfortable, and had a 1 1/2” pillow top foam pad added. This has improved things greatly.

WHAT’S INCLUDED?:

1) Camper with all factory options as listed above
2) Interior modifications as listed above including Engel fridge/freezer
3) Exterior modifications as listed above (bumper platform will only fit a Ford Superduty rear bumper, and will require 3 holes to be drilled for mounting bolts. The tailgate can not be used with this platform in place)
4) Misc: Folding ladder, camp bucket w/ seat, 10’ x 10’ screen house, Owners manual, Installation Instructions, Original camper receipt.
5) Several pieces of spare Formica are include for future repairs or modifications.

WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:

1) Roof Rack
2) Hi-lift jack
3) All camping gear, including Coleman stove and gas cylinders
4) Tie down eyebolts for truck bed
5) Electrical connector plug for truck bed, and wiring to truck electrical system
6) Coolant connectors for truck bed, and coolant lines to engine/Espar heater

PRICE and TERMS:

$9,500USD FIRM
Camper is located near Kelowna, BC, Canada, must be picked up in person and paid in full ( cash or bank draft) prior to removal

Thanks
Mark

on edit: all photos are 640x4** so I am not sure why they are displayed at different sizes. Have a look at http://www.expeditionportal.com/images/thumbnails.php?album=14 for better size pictures.
M

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Hey Mark -

I found mine on RVHunter.com and the owner had about 10 calls the first week it was listed. With all of your custom work, eBay might be a great option to get top dollar too.

You may already be considering these options, just thought I'd throw out a couple of suggestions.

18seeds

Explorer
Wow what a nice camper. I was looking for a FWC but could not find one used in my price range. Your mods are great. I ended up getting a Palomino B1200 pop up camper.

I'll be sure to let the TC community know about this. There is always a lot of talk over there

18seeds

Explorer
So far so good. Off road use isn't the best. It's a little heavy. Also running a frig on propane while boondocking is a little bit of a pain. Mostly because it's a lot harder to find level ground.

It's pretty big so the space is great. I bought it for winter camping. I hope the choice to go with a larger camper will pay off in the cold CO winter.

IMAGE_00065.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94