4WD Question

jackflash

Observer
Not sure where to post this, but since I own a Jeep as well as other 4WDs, I'll post it here.

I am sure this question as been asked and there even may be an article or two floating around that I cannot find. I googled this and read some about it, but I want to ask the Expo community.

When should you use 4WD? That's the question.

Of course you should not use 4WD on pavement and of course you should use 4WD in certain situations, but what about gravel/dirt roads? What if you are "overlanding" on say the Trans-American Trail, or the Dempster Highway? Is it OK then?

I have my own opinion about this as I have completed the TAT and driven numerous routes across TX,NM,AZ,CO,UT,CA,OR,etc... I just want to know the what others opinions are.

Davev1954

Supporting Grouch
4WD should be used when there is a lack of traction (or anticipated). Regardless of the road surface- including asphalt. I personally wouldn't overthink this

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Other than obvious situations like you mentioned, I personally like to use 4WD on dirt and gravel roads simply because my truck with camper feels more sure footed and stable especially in turns and mild grades, up or down. Unless I'm missing something the only real penalty is gas mileage.

1stDeuce

Explorer
If traction is low, or expected to be low, 4wd helps keep things moving. Running 4wd on pavement is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be unless you're talking about turns in paved and dry parking lots... Straight line, no problem.

One of the BEST places to use 4wd on present day back roads is washboarded hills. It keeps the washboard from getting worse, and actually allows the vehicle to track and ride better, without causing more damage to the road. If more idiots with 2500 trucks and 80psi in the back tires would use 4wd uphill in gravel, the roads would be in a lot better condition than they generally are! :)

CountryHandyMan

Unregistered Maine Guide
To each his own- I prefer two wheel drive as much as possible (I'm locked front and rear) when poking along in the woods. I like the option to select four wheel drive to back out of troubles and reassess. Growing up in Maine with a two wheel drive Ford Ranger taught me to be comfortable with rear slide. My first four wheel drive taught me I'm not invincible, just stuck 50 feet further from help.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have a manual trans and go into 4-low sooner than my autotrans friends. It's just more merciful on the clutch.
But I also have a care for trail conditions and don't want to rut things up more than they are already. I go into 4WD as soon as it gets loose enough to.
Plus I pull a trailer. Things can get sideways on me in a hurry sometimes.

ZMagic97

Explorer
To each his own- I prefer two wheel drive as much as possible

This is how I am. I use 2WD 90% of the time. If I'm in area where traction is low or I could use the extra pull from the front, 4WD it is, and usually 4HI. For me, 4LO is for times when I need to take it slow, or I'm getting in trouble.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I have a manual trans and go into 4-low sooner than my autotrans friends. It's just more merciful on the clutch.
But I also have a care for trail conditions and don't want to rut things up more than they are already. I go into 4WD as soon as it gets loose enough to.
Plus I pull a trailer. Things can get sideways on me in a hurry sometimes.

Agreed. No shame in going to 4wd low.

Mitch502

Explorer
This is how I am. I use 2WD 90% of the time. If I'm in area where traction is low or I could use the extra pull from the front, 4WD it is, and usually 4HI. For me, 4LO is for times when I need to take it slow, or I'm getting in trouble.

x2

joejeep92

I belong to the 2wd most of the time crew. 4Lo is nice for when you want more control. I live in an area where the roads are MUD when it is rainy and rutted and rocky when it is dry but really don't use 4hi all that much, driving technique will get you through more than you think. I probably haven't put my daily driver in 4x4 for a month or two anyway.

Sherman134

Observer
Here is a good video ( with demonstrations) explaining when to engage four wheel drive.

[video]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9T-BOgF9mWo&ei=HJNcVfvqPJGGNvSEgLgD&usg=AFQjCNEOqf0YN4iuR2b7BptpGufdlX0Zng&bvm=bv.93756505,d.eXY[/video]

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I used to go into 4HI whenever leaving the pavement without much thought to it. With an auto '12 JKU my behavior has certainly changed since it has a tendency to overheat in 4HI. Now I only engage it when necessary or when I anticipate wheelspin (steeper inclines, exposed tree roots, gravel).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I used to go into 4HI whenever leaving the pavement without much thought to it. With an auto '12 JKU my behavior has certainly changed since it has a tendency to overheat in 4HI. Now I only engage it when necessary or when I anticipate wheelspin (steeper inclines, exposed tree roots, gravel).
My 2008 JK used to cook the tranny and go into limp mode even in 2WD...
My 2014 is cool as a cucumber though. Have you thought of adding a bigger trans cooler?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles