4x4 Sprinter, way to go, or go away?

Sprinter 4x4 is reliable and a great option for remote/semi remote trips?

• love mine and wouldn't have it any other way

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Mine has been good, wouldn't change it, but have had issues

• I've had issues, might reconsider if I did it again

• wouldn't do it again

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • because of fuel (or other reason) I'd look elsewhere

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

IPT

I posted on a Sprinter forum but figure this might be a more unbiased crowd. Looking to do a semi conversion of a van for a camper/gear/family hauler. Will keep one bench seat for kids (hopefully fold down), no major cabinets, consider a Poptop/Penthouse. I know the “net” doesn’t always accurately portray things because people with bad experiences tend to be more vocal. I read mixed reviews on the 4x4 Sprinter. So, what have your experiences been with the newer Sprinter 4x4 model? I've seen many posts of people saying they'd just get a Ford and have the 4x4 conversion saving money, having better reliability and easier access to parts. That said I have grown to like the look of the Sprinter and it's factory options like Swivel seats for both front seats, diesel pickup for heat, dual batteries and alternator all from the factory.

Some concerns I have:

2018 model will be updated – potential for even more problems, or opportunity to fix old ones?

Diesel fuel (version Sprinters use at least) going to be more difficult to find moving forward?

Diesel harder to find in South America?

Lots of Warranty issues and reliability issues?

If reliability issues, harder to find a dealer or anyone who can work on these.

gtbensley

Explorer
I'm not sure how well a newer diesel would do in South America unless you can find ULSD fuel, which I hear might be available in some places?

Reliability will no doubt suffer on a sprinter versus something like a gas transit, although I have no experience with either.

I too like the idea of the 4x4 sprinter, but am s little leary of them...and I can't afford one anyways. As I have some time before we replace our van, I will probably wait and see what type of conversions come out for the Ford's

IPT

from what I have read and gathered cost will be about a wash. Looks cheaper for the transit upfront until you start adding up all the extras the Sprinter is going to have out of the gate. Reliability is an issue. I for one do not want to be stuck somewhere remote, or even on a paved road a few hundred miles away from home of the nearest shop.

Very torn.....love the idea of the Sprinter and wonder if we all just read about the ones that actually have issues. I'm sure similar threads can be found about the Ford too. That's even before the major work required for the conversion that adds another entire layer of "things that can go wrong". We have snow 1/2 the year. It's not an option for me to not have 4WD.

Thanks for sharing your input and thoughts.

dlh62c

Explorer
The lack of ULSD availablity aside. Your still running a modern CRD engine and everything that's associated with it.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The real issue - I see is the availability of properly equipped service centers for the sprinter. Here in NA, not all Mercedes dealers even work on Sprinters - so it can be a long tow to get to a qualified location. Yes there are independent shops which can do a lot of the work - but some problems seem to require the "real" MB diagnostic system. Also lots of speciality tools to do things like glow plugs etc. right.

What is the situation in Alaska for servicing a sprinter if it has problems? I would think that would be an issue - let alone in South America - especially for a NA/USA model which has additional and different emission systems on them than is sold in those countries (I think - I know it was that way a few years ago - they were still selling MB sprinters / VW crafters with mechanically injected motors in Mexico at least).

I would think the Ford Transit - particularly the gas one - would be serviceable in much more locations - and that the diesel would also be more likely to be able to be repaired at any Ford dealer - of which there will be much more of them - especially in Alaska. A diesel van will still have the ULSD issue - so I would probably go with a gasoline van if I was headed down to SA.

Most of the conversions are using as many F150/F250 parts as is possible - and the ones that are "special" aren't likely to fail or perhaps spares could be carried. These also are not the likely parts to fail or strand you in a remote location IMHO.

Darwin

Explorer
There is plenty of diesel available in Central and SOuth America, that's not the problem. THe problem is this van would require a type of diesel fuel not found there. Not really any ULSD in central america either, if you take the van down there or even mexico it will likely break down due to the emissions equipment on the van.

IPT

Thanks for the input guys. SA is a bit of a pipe dream but it is on my mind. By the time I may ever get to do that trip (Ak all the way to the tip of SA) it'd probably be time for an upgraded rig anyway!

That said are there no additives that solve the problem? Apparently MB is going to need to make some mods to the emission system come 2018, or 19. Questions is will it create less bugs or more?

For serviceability there is actually a MB service center certified to work on the 4x4 sprinter in Anchorage. So in the grand scheme of things not an issue. Of course I'd rather get something I am not always planning to have serviced! Seems that they are getting more and more popular up here. Maybe solutions will be found to work the bugs out, (shrug)?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Seems like by the time they get the bugs out they have to make a major addition to the system and the problems start again...

Darwin

Explorer
No additives won't work with regards to ULSD, as far as MB updating the emissions components in 18, I see it as a possible improvement, the emissions control equipment on diesels has only gotten better and I believe will continue to improve.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If you compare similarly optioned sprinters and transits, the cost difference is pretty minimal with diesel engines. The gas version of the transit is cheaper, even with the same option package.

The emissions gear on the sprinter can tolerate ULSD and and low sulfur diesel (to a certain extent). The problem is with high sulfur diesel, which can have up to 2000ppm of sulphur. At these levels you need to halve (or more) your oil change interval. Additionally the DPF will have a much shorter life, and regens will occur more often.

Most diesel, even in south america is not that high in sulfur. Usually it is between 100 and 500ppm. With ULSD being 15ppm. See the map here.
http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=Global_Comparison:_Fuels

I wouldn't sweat running a USA sprinter on 50ppm sulfur diesel. 500ppm is high enough to cause sooting issues with the EGR system, and DPF issues.

The 4 cylinder engine would be my preferred sprinter powerplant. The 6 cylinder (used in all USA 4x4s), is not as good. Mostly due to the EKAS and swirl valves. That being said, if you are only going to put 100-200k miles on the van before getting a different one, you probably won't notice the difference.

Most of the issues with the 4x4 seem to be related to the initial deliveries (assembly of the transfer case) and a few design things. Otherwise, I have not seen any serious problems with the 4x4 crop up with the folks I have talked with. The 4x4 system(s) used in the USA are not a new design, and have been rolling around the rest of the world for many years.

Be aware that you are buying a diesel powered computer, or in the case of the transit, a gas powered computer. Either one could cause you a serious headache if you are in a remote area without access to service. If you do not have a mercedes dealer which works on sprinters nearby, that is a concern. Having too drive 200 miles for warranty service is a serious inconvenience. That being said, owners needing major service time during the initial ownership period are a small minority.

If you are going to be operating long periods in central and south america, I would consider a gas powerplant or pre 2007 diesel. Ideally something you can perform diagnostics and basic service on yourself. Finding a competent mechanic who is familiar with your vehicle can be a challenge anywhere.

theslowdutchman

I think finding Diesel is not the problem in SA. Finding the right diesel is. Other problem I have seen/heard from people traveling in a sprinter is finding parts in the South.

IPT

The 4 cylinder engine would be my preferred sprinter powerplant. The 6 cylinder (used in all USA 4x4s), is not as good. Mostly due to the EKAS and swirl valves. That being said, if you are only going to put 100-200k miles on the van before getting a different one, you probably won't notice the difference.

Yup, 6cyl is the only option. Edited out the bulk of your post just to save room, but thank you. Very helpful and informative. I apparently have a lot to learn about diesel!

I seriously doubt we'd get to over 100K. Sadly, I work too much. We also have multiple vehicles, bike to work sometimes, and only have a 14 mile round trip commute anyway! Though, getting out of AK to anywhere else requires a lot of driving, and time (mileage I can afford, time at the present moment at least I cannot).

Thanks again for all the insight.

IPT

I think finding Diesel is not the problem in SA. Finding the right diesel is. Other problem I have seen/heard from people traveling in a sprinter is finding parts in the South.

Thanks - as for going south it's more a pipe dream than reality at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior