4x4 Winnebago Lesharo......Hideous Awesomeness

flyingkilt

And more pics of The Happy BumbleBee

I don't know where some of my pics are disappearing to while I'm trying to upload them -- I guess I'll eventually find them all, but here are some more:

Attachments

• CIMG1418.JPG
    CIMG1418.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 51
  • CIMG1419.JPG
    CIMG1419.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 48
  • CIMG1420.JPG
    CIMG1420.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 44
  • CIMG1421.JPG
    CIMG1421.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 55
  • CIMG1422.JPG
    CIMG1422.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 62
  • CIMG1423.JPG
    CIMG1423.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG1424.JPG
    CIMG1424.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 42
  • CIMG1425.JPG
    CIMG1425.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 41
  • CIMG1429.JPG
    CIMG1429.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 42
  • CIMG1430.JPG
    CIMG1430.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 38

ben2go

Adventurer
Is that a Dodge Omni nose on that RV?It sure reminds me of the one my mother had in the early 80's.Awful little cars.She bought her's brand new and it broke down so much the factory refuse to service the car stating that she intentionally damaged it.

flyingkilt

Howdy Ben2go, I'd recommend going back to page one of this whole thread so you can follow its progress. No, it is NOT a Dodge. It is a 1986 Winnebago LeSharo which discarded its original 4 cyl Renault engine and transmission, and was set stop a lifted GMC Safari All Wheel Drive chassis, converted further from the 4.3 L V6 to a more powerful 350 Cubic Inch V8.

fender flares, jackie and A8L.jpgfender flare and jackie.jpgfender flare and Max.jpgfender and snorkel.jpgfender flare and snorkel junction.jpg

flyingkilt

Since Monday this week, my wife and I have actually been camping in it alongside her parents' house in Sheridan, Oregon (up by Salem, Oregon). It is really turning into a HANDY and HAPPY CAMPER! We're going back over the Willamette Pass tomorrow, heading back to our new home in Chiloquin, Oregon.Jackie and Bee on I-5 stop.jpg

The above pic is of my wife putting on a sweatshirt to keep warm during our pitstop at a Rest Area along Interstate-5 just north of Eugene, Oregon on Monday, while on the way up north to her parents' house in Sheridan, Oregon.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Amazing rig! On that Dodge front end comment, it wouldn't surprise me if Winnebago sourced those front light assemblies from Chrysler. Motor homes commonly borrow headlight and taillight fixtures from automotive applications--it's a fun game to try to figure out which car they came from.

Hmm...I haven't been able to find a match.

Wait...I read a hint about the 1980-81 Buick Skylark...do we have a match?

80_Buick-Skylark-Coupe-DV-10-AACA-05.jpg

ben2go

Adventurer
Amazing rig! On that Dodge front end comment, it wouldn't surprise me if Winnebago sourced those front light assemblies from Chrysler. Motor homes commonly borrow headlight and taillight fixtures from automotive applications--it's a fun game to try to figure out which car they came from.

Hmm...I haven't been able to find a match.

Wait...I read a hint about the 1980-81 Buick Skylark...do we have a match?

View attachment 143969

I have an all original 1971 Skylark 4 door with the base GS driveline.My uncle ordered the car new and want power for traveling through the mountains around NC and SC.I hope to do a resto mod on it in a few years.

flyingkilt

Waldersee Farm, site of Northwest MogFest.

Yup, those Buick Skylark headlights are one and the same!

We had some laughs with Emily Molloy on Saturday, February 9, 2013, at Waldersee Farm -- a "Century Farm" in Sheridan, Oregon that she owns with her husband Jim Molloy. It is the site of the Northwest MogFest every year during the 3rd weekend in August -- http://www.northwestmogfest.com/past-events -- which is THE place to find... WEIRD 4x4 vehicles!

It WAS really FUNNY, because, we drove by it once, trying to find it with an equally-weird GPS, and Emily Molloy (who was NOT expecting us at all, nor had ever met us) said she noticed our yellow RV go by, and she said she immediately thought to herself: "Hmmmm, that looks like a really WEIRD rig -- they will probably be coming in here." But, she didn't worry at all when we finally DID drive into her driveway entrance. She said she WORRIES if a "normal" car-like vehicle with strangers in it comes down their driveway, but -- if it's a WEIRD VEHICLE (like the kind at NW MogFest -- or, the YELLOW and black "Happy Bumblebee" for that matter, lol) driving up the driveway with strangers in it -- she doesn't become alarmed at all, hah hah.

The first pic is of their entryway to the farm, with BEAUTIFUL century-old planted-trees lining their long driveway into the property.

The 2nd pic is of one of the MANY interesting rigs on their property -- this one being a genuine UNIMOG made by Mercedes-Benz.

The 3rd pic is of the WEIRD-LOOKING Happy Bumblebee fitting-in just fine on the grounds where the Northwest MogFest is held on the 3rd weekend in August every year.

Molloy's Century Farm.jpgMolloy's Century Farm2.jpgMolloy's Century Farm3.jpg

Last edited:

flyingkilt

Here's some more pics of The Happy Bumblebee on our way home to Chiloquin, Oregon through Willamette Pass and over to Highway 97.BeeAtChemultPilot.jpgBeeAtChemultPilot2.jpgDiamondPeakAndBee.jpgMiniInTheHappyBumbleBee.jpgTheHappyBumbleBeeAtLakeOdell.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
This rig has so much win I can't even believe it. Awesome through and through. I'd love to see more pics of the interior layout. I suspect you have tons more room than my Econoline camper....

SG

eporter

Adventurer
Any updates? There’s currently a 1992 Phasar for sale in Roseburg. It’s got a 5.9 diesel and looks 4wd but ad says AWD? Any idea what it’s built on? Wonder if they swapped it on a pickup frame in similar style to your Astro frame.

winnebago
fuel: diesel
transmission: automatic
21 feet motor home, just like a Lesharo. Fitted with a 5.9 diesel Cummins 12bt Engine, 4x4. Runs and drives. Needs more work to make it an ultimate all wheel camper van on the road.

Camping: It has a doemtic 3-way friedge, did not know if works; electric water heater, works. 3-burner stove, works. sink and extented faucet which allows you to wash dishes outside. two ceiling fans all work.

Mechanical: Engine runs and sounds well, no leak. dodge allwheel drive transmission 238, 4 wheel drive with locking wheels. It is the non electronic 12 bt engine that can run a million miles. There is work need to be done to make it perfect. But with a fraction of the cost of a mercedes or dodge diesel sprinter, you cant go wrong. 8900 dollars OBO.

here is the engine running on youtube:

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
It would seem he uses 'all wheel drive' and 4x4 interchangeably? The ad is hard to understand due to grammar and spelling, so you are best to give him a call.
The clearance between the doghouse and the driver's seat would seem to be a problem? On the factory units, this is all flat floor.
Just my 2¢, but it looks very-very rough.

eporter

Adventurer
Oh yeah, it's super rough. Not for me at this point, but could be cool for the price. I was sent some better pics, and it's not that great. It doesn't look like this is sitting on a factory 4wd frame, there's some rusty, rough cut, welded on spring perches and such. Not sure what all was done to make this diesel & 4wd ...

Attachments

• 20190308_095004.jpg
    20190308_095004.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 20190308_095012.jpg
    20190308_095012.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 20190308_095018.jpg
    20190308_095018.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 20190308_165410.jpg
    20190308_165410.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

eporter

Adventurer
This one was for sale for $50k. Spendy, but shows the really cool potential for one of these rigs.

Much cleaner front end conversion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke