5.9 cummins high mileage?

Woofwagon

Adventurer
The Cummins is a great engine. I say it's a million dollar engine in a 10 cent truck. I think they're asking to much though. I will give them this, they seem to have (at least from the ad) to have maintained the mechanical parts very well. That in itself is a big plus.

silvrcummns

I would wonder if injectors have been replaced ever, and if the transmission has ever been rebuilt or replaced. I have not seen many cummins engines make it to a million miles, closest has been 900k+. The ones that seem to get that mileage are long haul tow vehicles ( ie rv trailer transports, car movers etc that spend there life with a bit of weight behind them and lots of freeway). I'm curious as to why the carpet has been removed ( doesn't seem like a vehicle that would have been spec'd with a vanilla floor let alone nothing at all). And how long has his air filter minder been duct taped closed. It's a decent deal if you have money in the bank for that "what if" ( trans or injectors will at least be $3k). I Will admit that I do like that year range dodge (I own one) and although that's most like a 230hp California engine it's still a great platform.

The Cummins is a great engine. I say it's a million dollar engine in a 10 cent truck. I think they're asking to much though. I will give them this, they seem to have (at least from the ad) to have maintained the mechanical parts very well. That in itself is a big plus.

do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is a great price for that truck!

I would wonder if injectors have been replaced ever, and if the transmission has ever been rebuilt or replaced. I have not seen many cummins engines make it to a million miles, closest has been 900k+. The ones that seem to get that mileage are long haul tow vehicles ( ie rv trailer transports, car movers etc that spend there life with a bit of weight behind them and lots of freeway). I'm curious as to why the carpet has been removed ( doesn't seem like a vehicle that would have been spec'd with a vanilla floor let alone nothing at all). And how long has his air filter minder been duct taped closed. It's a decent deal if you have money in the bank for that "what if" ( trans or injectors will at least be $3k). I Will admit that I do like that year range dodge (I own one) and although that's most like a 230hp California engine it's still a great platform.

I've been looking for a budget 5.9 cummins so if my bank plays ball maybe I'll talk to this guy. I have a huge refund from my student financial aid as a grad school student so maybe a portion can be back up for this transmission. My uncle used to be big in the outdoor world so I have his advice at least for the buying process haha

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Look at it this way, these trucks are spendy. He spent money in the right places. Yes you can expect the trans to need replacement in the next whenever. 4 to 5K$ easy but the auto are time bombs thats just the way it is. Drive it normaly change the trans fluid often go untill it blows knowing that it will. Then put a really good one in.

Look at it this way, these trucks are spendy. He spent money in the right places. Yes you can expect the trans to need replacement in the next whenever. 4 to 5K$ easy but the auto are time bombs thats just the way it is. Drive it normaly change the trans fluid often go untill it blows knowing that it will. Then put a really good one in.

My thoughts exactly. A trans to my needs and liking.

Yeah if I was listing in SoCal I'd be adding it to multiple area haha

I have 423k miles on my 2000 Ram. Tranny is still original, and the engine has only had oil changes and regular service done. The body and rest of the truck is the issue. Nothing major but with this many miles things wear out.

When I was looking at trucks before getting this one, I always figured that a truck with high mileage would have had to have regular service to last that long and not blow. I also did not want one that was modded or tuned for HP. Since bone stock they are not putting out tons of power, even if driven a bit hard they will last long. And for those newer ones that had the higher pressure injection systems, better filtration is a must. But it seems he added the FASS whch takes care of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior