5.9 or 6.7 Cummins? Want to weigh in?

Luckychase5

Adventurer
So I’m starting to shop for a new truck. I’m mainly looking at Cummins powered trucks, because that’s what I’m used to. My main issue is this. I’ve heard great things about the 6.7, but that they also get much worse fuel economy than the 5.9. I’ve been looking at a few 2006’s with the 5.9 and a couple 2012 and 2013 2500-3500HD’s.

I’ve never ‘deleted’ a truck, but Mr. Thuren at Thuren Fab advised me to do just that if I get a 6.7.

This truck will see mixed use. Hauling a small-ish in bed camper, towing, and bring my day to day work truck for my metal fabrication business.

Thank you all for your input. I’m not trying to start a battle, just looking to get done real life advise vs watching a bunch of YouTube videos and reading articles.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darwin

Explorer
If you want a single rear wheel truck, you can only get a 2500 in the 5.9

Personally I would look for a 2013 and newer 3500. Better suspension design all around. You might get a hair better mileage with the 5.9, but like I said you are stuck with a 2500 truck. IF you don't plan to have much weight in the back, a 2500 might be all you need, but then if I was looking a t 2500's the 13 and up have rear coils which I imagine probably ride better than leafs.

MR. ED

Observer
Go newer. I’m still a bit sour with the 5.9s considering I have one in my yard that needs it’s third engine!
Bought new in ‘06 and was great till 119,000 miles. That’s when the #6 cylinder went out stranding my wife south of Albuquerque at night. She loved that truck so we gambled on another engine from a dealer down there. 15,000 miles later that engine went with the same #6 cylinder!
Now that the 5.9s are getting cheaper I may throw another one in and try to recoup some money...

Halligan

Adventurer
If you want a single rear wheel truck, you can only get a 2500 in the 5.9

Personally I would look for a 2013 and newer 3500. Better suspension design all around. You might get a hair better mileage with the 5.9, but like I said you are stuck with a 2500 truck. IF you don't plan to have much weight in the back, a 2500 might be all you need, but then if I was looking a t 2500's the 13 and up have rear coils which I imagine probably ride better than leafs.

Not sure what you mean there Darwin. 3rd gen (2003-2009) 3500's were available in both single rear wheel or dually flavor. The second gens (1994 - 2002) were dually only for a 3500.

In my opinion the overall upgrades to a 4th gen truck outweigh any perceived positive of a 5.9 Cummins in a 3rd gen. The later into the 4th gen the better, as improvements are made along the way. I wax nostalgic for my 2004 5.9 Cummins HO from time to time but I wouldn't give up my 2015 Power Wagon to have it back.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Thanks everybody!! Ya, I’m going 4th gen, the cooled seats are what sold me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darwin

Explorer
Not sure what you mean there Darwin. 3rd gen (2003-2009) 3500's were available in both single rear wheel or dually flavor. The second gens (1994 - 2002) were dually only for a 3500.
You are right, I was thinking of regular cab trucks in the 5.9 flavor that only came in 2500 SRW. Both 3rd and 4th gen SRW came in 3500 except 5.9 regular cabs.

Dalko43

Explorer
The 5.9l's are good engines...the 6.7l's are improvements (despite the emissions).

The trucks the 5.9l's are housed in haven't aged well...go with the 6.7l's.

Dirt Rider

I have an 06 and a 92, 250 k on the 06 and 222 on the 92. Would not even think of buying anything newer than an 06 due to the emissions nightmare. Like to keep it simple.

CTDJeeperman

I’ve had a 98 12 valve (with twin turbos and built Suncoast auto), a tuned 05 5.9 NV5600, a tuned 11 6.7 G56, finally a 15 6.7 Aisin. I would never even consider going backwards. My 15 6.7 is stock and has all the factory emissions. No issues so far and the DEF really isnt an issue. I would avoid the pre DEF 6.7s.

BL get a 14+ 6.7 IMO. The trucks and emissions are both so much better. If you want an auto I’d go with an Aisin unless you plan to build up the 68

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I've driven all versions except the 5th gen.

If you want to be emissions free, get an old truck. If you want newer, better comfort, better suspension, better ride, get a 2500 with coils. I love my 2018 megacab. I have a build thread on here. I deleted mine. My mileage has gone up from . 12-15 to 15-19. The ride is excellent, I love the interior. Just don't get a stupid tune where you are blowing black smoke all over.

I still love 1st gens. I've never been a fan of second gens or third gens. I've spent a lot of time in second gens, and the interiors and seats just fall apart. 3rd gens just seem to have too much plastic in them for my taste.

The newer 6.7's with 68RFE seems to be a lot better transmission than the older autos. You can actually tune the 68RFE as well. The aisin transmissions are pretty stout but you can't tune them.

jonathon

I don’t own one but have looked at 4th and 5th Cummins trucks quite a bit. This area is definitely Cummins country and I’ve heard a lot of opinions on the emissions equipment. I personally would avoid the 2007.5-2013 6.7 trucks unless you’re able and willing to delete. They use a lot of EGR to meet nox emissions and the valve and cooler need to be cleaned every 67.5k.The 2014 and newer(2013 for 3500+) 6.7 have an SCR system that uses DEF. SCR significantly reduces the amount of EGR used, to the point there isn’t a service interval for cleaning the valve. Lots of high mileage emissions intact 2014+ trucks around here without issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz