5 Wheel Drive: Land Rover & KTM tackle the Gaspé Peninsula

ini88

Adventurer
Daniel (ini88), Jarek (Jarek M) & Ryan (rmuller) are setting out on a 5 day run up to Québec, Canada to conquer an all off-road trek through the Gaspé Peninsula.

Why 5 days? Well we could only get that much time off work + we only really started planning this trip about a month ago

I will be on my KTM 690 Enduro R & Jarek will be in his Land Rover Discovery I with Ryan as navigator.

Departure date is set for 5am 9/16 and we will hopefully return by 9/20. That is if I don't wreck hard, Jarek's Discovery doesn't break down, and Ryan doesn't get eaten by a bear!

Gaspe.gif

"Street" map of our planned route:
Gaspe_map_street_100.jpg

Large view >

Topo map of our planned route:
Gaspe_map_topo_100.jpg

Large view>

Resources:

Google Map >
Spot GPS >

Last edited:

ini88

Adventurer
I am trying to pack light as I will be carrying all my own luggage. I am using two Giant Loop bags. The Giant Loop Fandango tank bag and their Great Basin bag. I personally think they make some of the best soft luggage in the market along with Wolfman. Soft luggage will be key on this trip as the going may get tough and tight!

I wear a Klim Traverse jacket & pant as well as their Balaclava. Everything is waterproof and tough as nails.

Almost complete list
IMG_1227.jpg

GoPro camera and Garmin 276c & back brace as I like to slip discs.
IMG_1228.jpg

Kilm Balaclava
IMG_1231.jpg

661 Vapor pressure suit so it feels good when I eat Canadian dirt
IMG_1232.jpg

Giant Loop Fandango & Great Basin bags
IMG_1233.jpg

Last edited:

Jarek M

Adventurer
For navigation we have GPS Kit HD and Topo Maps for iPad, all of Gaspe Peninsula has been cached, down to street level in topo and sat.

753b36cb.jpg

ini88

Adventurer
This water crossing has me a little bit worried. The road ends and looks like an overlook spot on the left. Even though on the right there seems to be a section that connects to it. It looks like a 200 meter/650 foot drop in elevation!
:rappel:

water_crossing.jpg

rmuller

I think we can keep that optional.. looking at the map, we could just stay south the whole time, which the two water crossings look like roads once existed there. We'll have to see how we're doing on pace whether or not we'll take that extra trip up north.

ini88

Adventurer
Luggage

I fitted my luggage tonight. The Wolfman fender bag holds a lot! I have a spare tube, patches, all my tools & Motion Pro tire irons in there! I just hope it doesn't snap my plastic fender off!

The Giant Loop bags are nice and snug. Tank bag has my passport, cameras, wallet and odd and ends I will need quickly. Great Basin bag on the back has all my clothes and camping gear. I know it is only a 5 day trek but I really wanted to over pack and load the bike up to see how it handles. I plan to ride to South America in a year or two so I really want to do some easy short test runs for prep.

luggage_test_01.jpg

luggage_test_02.jpg

ini88

Adventurer
Thank god! Wait... you found it? Like it was lost in your 'keys' drawer?

"Basia have you seen my land anchor anywhere?" - Jarek
"Check the drawer with the spare keys in it" - Barb

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
This is awesome, one beautiful area. we used to go snowboarding in the winter over there...offtrack..

:)

rijosho

Adventurer
Good luck, guys. Tom and I will be working on our trucks tomorrow so you'll be with us in spirit. Do you guys have the app for ExPo to load photos while on your trip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles