5th Gen Ranger Discussions / Reviews / News

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Sounds like the trailer that netted 9.8mpg wasn't the most aerodynamic thing though either. A teardrop or something similar with an eye towards efficiency would probably help the mpg.
It would. But, I already have the trailer I'd be towing. 23' hitch to bumper, 3,900 dry. I'm think it might be too much trailer for a Ranger.

I might have to stick to 1/2 tons once I'm due to replace my truck. I only tow about 7 / 8 times per year so I keep thinking about downsizing.

IMG_0051.JPG

phsycle

Adventurer
It would. But, I already have the trailer I'd be towing. 23' hitch to bumper, 3,900 dry. I'm think it might be too much trailer for a Ranger.

I might have to stick to 1/2 tons once I'm due to replace my truck. I only tow about 7 / 8 times per year so I keep thinking about downsizing.

View attachment 563063

Nice set up. If I were towing a 23' trailer, no way I'd consider a midsize truck, even if you're going doing it a few times a year. Unless you rent a fullsize truck for those outings. Maneuvering, crosswinds, steep grades (up and down)---not fun in a midsize.

85_Ranger4x4

View attachment 563063

Yeah, the easy answer that takes a midsize off the table is that your camper is flat out too big for one.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Nice set up. If I were towing a 23' trailer, no way I'd consider a midsize truck, even if you're going doing it a few times a year. Unless you rent a fullsize truck for those outings. Maneuvering, crosswinds, steep grades (up and down)---not fun in a midsize.
Yeah, the easy answer that takes a midsize off the table is that your camper is flat out too big for one.
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I've also been toying with the idea of getting a boat rack and hauling an aluminum fishing boat with us if sticking with a fullsize.

My current payload is 1,811 but I'm thinking I might have to go 3/4 if I want to bring an aluminum boat too...

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I've also been toying with the idea of getting a boat rack and hauling an aluminum fishing boat with us if sticking with a fullsize.

My current payload is 1,811 but I'm thinking I might have to go 3/4 if I want to bring an aluminum boat too...

How about a boat loader on top of the trailer?

By the way, why are you getting rid of the F150?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
How about a boat loader on top of the trailer?

By the way, why are you getting rid of the F150?
I'd rather the boat loader on the truck so I can just leave it on the truck when heading down to the lake.

The F150 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I figure it'll be miled out in a few years as my commute is 75 miles per day. That's just work and back never mind any other running around.

It's a 2015 sitting at 140,000 kms / 87,000 miles.

(Just thinking for down the road.....)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sounds like the trailer that netted 9.8mpg wasn't the most aerodynamic thing though either. A teardrop or something similar with an eye towards efficiency would probably help the mpg.

You might think that, but in reality even a rounded shape doesn't help much.

2019-09-26 11.56.54.jpg

Niether the rounded shape of the Pod nor the kayaks acting as 'air deflectors' benefited my MPG. I get 8 - 10 when pulling this combo, whether I'm going uphill or down.

The only thing that actually makes a difference is wind. Headwinds can decrease MPG by another 2 MPG and tail winds can increase it by the same amount.

It was absolutely not aerodynamic one queen mattress and box spring with two full sets one on either side and dressers on each sided of that. I wish now I had taken a picture so you could see that it was a tough situation for the truck but it pulled it like a champ

phsycle

Adventurer

Niether the rounded shape of the Pod nor the kayaks acting as 'air deflectors' benefited my MPG. I get 8 - 10 when pulling this combo, whether I'm going uphill or down.

The only thing that actually makes a difference is wind. Headwinds can decrease MPG by another 2 MPG and tail winds can increase it by the same amount.

Have you compared this to a square-shaped trailer? How do you know it's not any more efficient?

You've also got a pretty large flat area in the back that still creates good amount of drag. A true tear drop trailer @85_Ranger4x4 was referring to would significantly reduce drag and improve aerodynamics.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

View attachment 563077

Not sure if it would make a difference with MPG but, it looks like your truck is squatting a little in the back. Maybe a weight distributing hitch would help?

Unless it's just the picture angle or something?

I found adjusting my weight distributing hitch made a difference in the way my truck tows.

I found it was operated at a lower RPM and I got better fuel mileage after I made some adjustments to level the trailer a little better while towing. Not sure if you'd have the same results.

85_Ranger4x4

Balance plays a role too. I haven’t got around to figuring out how but it does.

If I put my tractor too far ahead on a flatbed it pulls much harder. Too far back and the handing gets wonky. Same aero, same weight. I position the tractor to level the truck and it is great.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Balance plays a role too. I haven’t got around to figuring out how but it does.

If I put my tractor too far ahead on a flatbed it pulls much harder. Too far back and the handing gets wonky. Same aero, same weight. I position the tractor to level the truck and it is great.
Agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94