62 Hp and 2800 Miles

MtnLlama

All be it a little late, I thought that I should start a thread about the first time I went to Colorado and fell in love with the state, the mountains, and the need to explore! The trip consisted of myself and two good friends of mine and my 1968 VW Westy Weekender. I had rebuilt the engine in the bus about 8 months prior and this was to be the first true test to see how it would hold up. Needless to say, the only issues we ran into were a set of burned points and a broken accelerator cable in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming-both of which were repaired fairly quickly. In total, we put about 2800 miles of the bus in the time from start to finish, which was quite the accomplishment in a 43 year-old vehicle that had previously sat for 8 years!

The route was to take two-lane black top out there and avoid freeways at all costs. Even coming into CO we avoided I-25 by taking back, dirt roads into Fort Collins.

The Bus on the previous night before. An hour before this picture was taken, the motor was out on the bench getting a new clutch and T/O bearing.

The Black Hills, SD

We Made it!

Driving through Poudre Canyon. It rained for about half of our trip out there, which made for a chilly journey at times due to no heat.

Pingree Park Road

Right outside Nederland

Somewhere between Nederland and Estes Park

Our campsite outside Gold Hill City. Getting to this location is where we suffered burned points due to the grade/elevation gain. Luckily I had a set of electronic points in the spare parts that got installed that night at camp.

Leaving the Gold Hill City Site

Last night in CO, once again up Pingree Park Rd.

Pronghorn fighting while going through Wyoming

And lastly, the badlands of SD

MtnLlama

Thanks everyone! I've returned to these areas a few times over the years and it always amazes me how simple it is to travel up and down mountain passes in a modern car. Bigger engine is in store the next time around!

XTorrey

Observer
Thanks everyone! I've returned to these areas a few times over the years and it always amazes me how simple it is to travel up and down mountain passes in a modern car. Bigger engine is in store the next time around!

Indeed! I never realized how difficult this task was until 2012 when going over Eisenhower Pass in a 1985 Chevrolet pickup, when I was struggling to hit 35 mph on I-70. Looks like it was a great trip!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
This is the heart of Expo...
take what you have and just get out there and enjoy the backcountry...
No mega media outting with chase/support rig, just friends out to have a good time

thanks for positing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior