6x12 cargo trailer lifted for off road, Jeep JKU approved?

wb9wb

2018 JKU Sport (not lifted, stock street tires, 225R7516) 6 Speed manual, 3.73 heavy rear axle for 3500 lbs with a tow gear package .

I'm wanting to

(1) Build a boondocking camper.

(2) keep the total weight at or about 3,000 lbs.

(3) No technical off roading, rock climbing, etc. Just gravel BLM, and National Forest roads.

(4) Highway driving over Hills and mountains.

(5) Would be Trailer would be 6 foot plus Tall. But not top heavy due to the weight of the solar batteries and water tank on the floor. (~ 1,000 lbs).

(6) the Off road axle would give it just a few inches in lift. Similar to this cargo trailer. Off Road 6x12

Anybody see any problems, issues, with this plan? Ideas, suggestions, etc. are welcome and thanks in advance.

thanks

user_online.gif

I think it might be difficult to keep weight under 3000lbs if you will have 1000lbs in water and batteries, trailer and supplies. How many batteries and how much water do you plan to carry?

wb9wb

I think it might be difficult to keep weight under 3000lbs if you will have 1000lbs in water and batteries, trailer and supplies. How many batteries and how much water do you plan to carry?

I calculated a 45 gallon tank at 8.34 pounds per gallon = 375 lbs.
4 large battries at about 65 lbs each = 260 lbs.
Thats 635 lbs.

The standard trailer for a 6x12 is about 1500 lbs curb weight, so that gives me another 1500 lbs to put in it.
including wiring, plumbing, etc. and about 100 lbs for the solar panels, I should be left with about 600 to 700 lbs for everything else. (not planning on decking it out like house). Pretty spartan plans for a bed, table, etc.

I guess i was thinking a 6x12 cargo trailer would be closer to 2500. You are right, I looked up weights of Wells cargo trailers and 1500-1800 looks pretty normal

Justin_A

Different tow vehicle but might have some solid feedback - currently building one myself. First off, my Tacoma is rated with tow package for 6400lbs on paper. I feel its at its max duty hauling my trailer. I gutted my 6x12 and insulated the walls with 1" rigid foam and expanding foam in the gaps. Added 1/2" Birch walls (see pictures, not finished). I have yet to weigh it but running 285/70 tires on the tacoma and trailer (swapped axles) I find my self searching for gears on hills. Towing between my house and my buddy's house who has the welder, I'm usually in 4th gear for any sustained hill - its not terrible, but not ideal. On a trip to Tahoe fully geared up plus a dual sport I had my hazards on and down to 3rd gear going up the steep grades.

I still enjoy it, but had to learn to be more patient and plan trips a little differently with more time.

Photo from Expo 2018 AZ
IMG_3062.jpegIMG_3161.jpeg

wb9wb

very cool. I'm still in the planning stages. I'm now debating the merits of a small 4x8 cargo trailer converted to extreme off road (I'll never do extreme, but.... )

thanks.

PhulesAU

Explorer
2018 JKU Sport (not lifted, stock street tires, 225R7516) 6 Speed manual, 3.73 heavy rear axle for 3500 lbs with a tow gear package .

I'm wanting to

(3) No technical off roading, rock climbing, etc. Just gravel BLM, and National Forest roads.

(5) Would be Trailer would be 6 foot plus Tall. But not top heavy due to the weight of the solar batteries and water tank on the floor. (~ 1,000 lbs).

(6) the Off road axle would give it just a few inches in lift. Similar to this cargo trailer. Off Road 6x12

Anybody see any problems, issues, with this plan? Ideas, suggestions, etc. are welcome and thanks in advance.

thanks

user_online.gif
What is a heavy rear axle????

wandererr

Adventurer

I'm wanting to

thanks

user_online.gif
I built something close to what you are looking for. The weight of the trailer dry is just a hair under 2K. Sleeps 2 adults and a 5 year old fairly comfortably inside. Has a fridge inside as well as a bathroom (tiny room with a cassette toilet) and outside kitchen. There are couple things I would do different if I was to build it again (use a different base trailer and axle - I used a popup trailer frame)

In any case, all is doable and it depends on how much time, skill and $ you want to put into it ;)

With 225's and 3.73's you should be fine. I have 4.11's and I for 32's it is the bare minimum. I towed it up to Yosemite and when you are going up big mountains you can feel it and you can see the engine temp climb. From what I recall the gear ratio charts I think the numbers would be comparable.

TrailerJeep.jpg

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
If you get a 5’ wide trailer you can see around it with the factory mirrors. We have a 5x8. It’s small but it suits us well! Highly recommend adding electric brakes and a brake controller - nobody ever missed a crash and wished for less stopping power

Attachments

• F5E2A717-2DD4-40FC-81D8-C14FF6B50C69.jpeg
    F5E2A717-2DD4-40FC-81D8-C14FF6B50C69.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 136
  • B08624E4-CE26-49EC-813B-0E1870BDD0FA.jpeg
    B08624E4-CE26-49EC-813B-0E1870BDD0FA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 142
  • 2157CB29-2CE1-4C31-8AA8-4C31F925320B.jpeg
    2157CB29-2CE1-4C31-8AA8-4C31F925320B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 141

wb9wb

If you get a 5’ wide trailer you can see around it with the factory mirrors. We have a 5x8. It’s small but it suits us well! Highly recommend adding electric brakes and a brake controller - nobody ever missed a crash and wished for less stopping power
Nick, it looks like it works fine for you guys. thanks for sharing. What is the MPG difference between hauling and not hauling it? thanks

Mccaf

Adventurist
Like Mass_Mopar said, BRAKES! W/ controller.

My experience with a similar set up:
Total weight with Jeep, ORT, extra fuel, and passengers is just under 9000 lbs

I planned my Jeep build for the same purpose, BLM, USFS, Trails, and other roads of that nature. Although my Jeep is quite capable of more than just that, trailer brakes are a law here in Cali over 1500 lbs. My future ORT build factored into the equation, but only after he Jeep mods were complete, including a Prodigy P2 Brake controler.

My trailer weighed in at 1500 - scaled dry and I’ve added more steel mods like the xtra rear gate, -RTT rack doors for firewood/gear storage that are lockable, and other minor add-ons. I’m (over) estimating my dry weight is ~1800lbs.

Fully loaded with a weeks gear and supplies, I calculate weight at 2800 lbs.: 25 gal water, 5 gal propane,food, firewood etc. On long trips with highway time involved, l usually try to stock up on the consumables (esp water) on arrival, to save gas mileage.

Most all trips I go on involve elevation gains of 4300’ mountain-grade climbs-just to get the hell out of San Diego. That will really drop gas mileage to the 12.5 range. Although my last trip to the San Juan’s of CO, I saw mileage in the 10.2-11 range (using Fuelly.com) I swear by it. ;) But, not towing, the Fully loaded Jeep saw 16.9 avg on a trip to Yellowstone. (90% highway speeds)

I don’t know how Jeep rates these Jeeps at 3500 lbs towing cap. I sure wouldn’t want to tow that much with an unmodified Jeep or trailer brakes.

My stock Jeep was tow rated at 2500 lbs (2012 JKU SportI, 6speed manual, 3.73. (19mpg fwy out of the lot) I added a Dynatrac Big Brake kit, 5.13 gearing (on 35s, measured to 33.5), added 1.75” rear coil pucks, lift and steel bumpers, and tons more mods...The Jeep’s new curb wt came in at 5200 lbs, at a truck scale)

The brake controller takes the worry out of those quick” jump on the brakes” times and puts me a little easier in the mountain highways and off-roads. You will thank yourself many times over.

180BA390-2975-422A-9F15-25D33175F5F8.jpegA15C611B-9F5B-4AFA-A917-E96FD65EDD73.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94