7.3 van boost numbers

Warpt

Hello I have a 7.3 Quigley and it feels to me like it lacks power. I used it to pull a ski boat that doesnt weigh much and it slows way down any hill I hit. I’ve used the torque app and checked a few things like hpop pressure and percent and it looks to be good. I checked the boost and the max I could get was 11 pounds accelerating hard and 2 pounds cruising at 65. What are you guys getting with your vans? At my work we have 96 f250 with a 7.3 and my van feels like a turd compared to it so I wonder if something is wrong with the van to have such low power.

Len.Barron

Observer
I'm not a Ford 7.3 guy but have a buddy with one, his made 15-17 stock, he disconnected the waste gate actuator and it was making low 20's. He's since tuned it and made other changes and is up around 25psi...power difference is amazing but his mileage went to $hit.
My guess is that you either have a boot connection leaking or malfunctioning waste gate / actuactor.

b dkw1

Observer
Like Len said, you probably have a boost leak or your up pipes are leaking. You should be seeing 15-17 under load. Mine will almost go down to zero cruising on the highway. Boost levels depend on load, no load=no boost.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Do you have a tuner or is it stock? Alot of black smoke out of the exhaust? Stock boost in a VAN (less boost than the trucks) is 12-14 psi. If you have a tuner, you should be in the 22-26 psi range if depending on how aggressive the tune is. Check for boost leaks or exhaust leaks at the up-pipes near the y-collector on the turbo.

Warpt

There is no smoke out the exhaust and it’s totally stock. What’s weird is I was driving it the other day and I could only get 7 or 8 pounds of boost out of it then I shut it off and restarted it and it then made 11 pounds. It seems intermittent and you could feel sometimes the van feels faster than other times.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
You have a leaky boot or up pipe..pop the dog house and look for soot on the trans bell housing..ebay has a good kit thats dull replacement with bellows in the pipe for about $65.

I have the TC 6 position tuner with all the HP levels...and it is hands down flat out the BEST MOD for the cost...it will make my long body LAUNCH down the road! I never turn it over 100hp for daily driving and usually just run 75.. Picked up 2mpg and the power is phenomenal..but you gotta get an EGT gauge....it is easy to over fuel at 100 to and higher settings with no monitor would do damage if you keep it to the floor!!

Ive run this in 2 of my vans.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/253145534828
a8bb431bef63b8100b5a59b21f9e1d96.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Warpt

Thanks for the input so far guys I’m going to to built a pressure tester and check to see if I have a leak somewhere. I checked the up pipes for leaks and couldn’t any. I’ll update if I find anything.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately I can’t help with your boost issues.

I’d also look at what gear ratio you have relative to tire size. Stock for my rig is 4.11... with 29” tires I’m never short of torque on the hills. I’m not towing, but sit at about 9500 lbs most trips.

It has enough get up and go that I’ve not even considered a chip... other than economy claims. That said, when I’ve kept out of it on the highway, I’ve been called a liar for reporting the fuel economy.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately I can’t help with your boost issues.

I’d also look at what gear ratio you have relative to tire size. Stock for my rig is 4.11... with 29” tires I’m never short of torque on the hills. I’m not towing, but sit at about 9500 lbs most trips.

It has enough get up and go that I’ve not even considered a chip... other than economy claims. That said, when I’ve kept out of it on the highway, I’ve been called a liar for reporting the fuel economy.

I believe Boost on a van is lower than on a truck.

Deshet

Adventurer
The trucks and vans are slightly different...Year for Year the trucks have more power (intercooler) and a smaller turbo.
How many miles does your van have on it?
You probably have a boost leak but check the shaft for play if you have high mileage
The gear ratio plays a big part when it comes to how the power feels....

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
A heavy van with 4.10s and 33s would be somewhat of a dog. @ujoint can likely make some recommendations about ratios for 33s. I’d try some smaller tires if you have access. If memory serves they’d make about 14 percent overdrive.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've got 4.10s and 265/75-16. (32?) And my rig is far from slow lol but the tuner, full exhaust and WW2 helps a little haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior