7.3L powerstroke swap in

TXscout

Observer
A '96 7.3L econoline with only 78,000 miles has fallen into my lap for $0. The engine needs minor repairs and a fuel pump, but the van is a total POS. So, I'm looking for suggestions on what I can swap the motor into. I've seen a '65 scout with the 7.3l and it was sick, but I'm looking for a couple options, preferably short wheel base for a great wheeling rig. Any ideas? I ve got the motor, all the harnesses, dash, everything to move over. it even has a Dana 80 rear diff! I will find a Dana 60 for the front.

Korben

Adventurer
80-96 Bronco of course.
F-series diesel parts make it a rather easy swap. All the info needed for the 7.3 and D60 swap is on the net and parts readily available.

amgvr4

Adventurer
Just keep in mind the 7.3 is close to 1000 lbs and most smaller suv or trucks wont do well with that much heft over the front axle. It is best to find something that can be beefed up to accommodate the sheer enormity of a full size diesel drivetrain. An obs or eb bronco would be great choices.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
A '96 7.3L econoline with only 78,000 miles has fallen into my lap for $0. The engine needs minor repairs and a fuel pump, but the van is a total POS. So, I'm looking for suggestions on what I can swap the motor into. I've seen a '65 scout with the 7.3l and it was sick, but I'm looking for a couple options, preferably short wheel base for a great wheeling rig. Any ideas? I ve got the motor, all the harnesses, dash, everything to move over. it even has a Dana 80 rear diff! I will find a Dana 60 for the front.
Maybe a similar year 3/4 or 1 ton OBS with a clapped out 351 in it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
1999 Ford F350 regular cab with a 5.4 would be a good donor chassis. You might even find a high mileage newer one, 2005+, with a Dana 60 and coils up front already.

TXscout

Observer
I've got a 2005 f350 powerstroke that has been highly modified and runs like a champ. I've got the huge truck category covered!

I want something with a short wheel base that I can get on tighter trails. Depending on availability, I'll probably look for a scout or bronco.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's an Econoline van. I'd pay you to take the one I had, away from me.

A fullsize bronco? That's still a ton of engine for that truck. Better beef up the frame and front suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior