7 years around Africa in a Landy :: African Wildlife Films :: roamingyak

roamingyak

Observer
Hi everyone!

I few people on here might know me, else a big Ola from a long lost Kiwi in Portugal by way of a quick introduction! I thought some of you might be interested in the following....

I spend most of the year in Africa now, and in fact chose to be locked down in Namibia for the 1st year of covid, which I must admit was great, and have since spent another 6 months in Angola, Zambia and Botswana. Altogether I have spent 7 years driving around in Africa, visited very country except a small handful and completed over 400,000km in my Land Rover Defender who I have owned for 22 years.

She is a 1991 200TDI Hard Top 110 with the short bell housing R380 gearbox, TD5 front axle, 300TDI back axle, Allisport rad and full sized intercooler, dual Koni shocks, 130 helper springs in the rear and a bunch of other things which are too long to list - in short, simple, trustworthy, build for reliable long distance travel.

During lockdown in Namibia I got into filming my adventures and wildlife a lot and somehow have amassed 25 Terabytes of 4K footage shot on 5 different cameras, including footage later in Angola, Zambia and Botswana. This is 'full day' filming from sunrise to sunset of the experience of camping in the bush for months on end and trying to film interesting animals and birds.

This winter I'm starting to wade through it all after a stalled attempt at it last year... I'm still very much learning how to edit and tell a interesting story, but feedback has been good even though the YouTube algorithm seems to hate me ;-)

Anyway, please feel free to check it out below - happy to receive any feedback or comments as it gets a bit lonesome plugging away week after week editing it all and wondering if anybody finds it interesting...
(Hint: Watch in numerical order so the story makes sense)

https://www.youtube.com/c/roamingyak

If you like them, please do share the link as much as you can, I don't use social media so I am hopeless at self promoting!

Cheers, Darrin
Here's what you've missed so far :)

#1: Intro to my Wildlife Travel Channel - why I started filming my adventures...

#2: Should I run run away To film wildlife In Africa - or be locked down at home in Europe?

#3: The Last Tourist To Namibia - arriving on the last flight before the airport is closed.

#4: Filming in the Kaokoveld Desert, Namibia - all the gear, not much idea, it's a harsh place to learn to film!

#5: Losing my Land Rover to the River Gods - a quest for a cold drink goes badly wrong.

Last edited:
Great tee shirt ! Most of mine look just like yours.....I watched your first video and immediately hit the subscribe button. I plan to watch them all.....they look awesome. Thanks for sharing.....

Jerry

Just watched video #2.....excellent !

Video #3.....well done ! I enjoyed #3 as well. Interesting to see how similar the landscape is to where I'm hanging out in southern Nevada.

Video #4.....I enjoy the wildlife & the landscape the most.....hopefully more of it coming ?

Last edited:

roamingyak

Observer
LOL! Thanks Jerry, I almost lost it once to an overzealous cleaner who thought it was a dirty rag lying in the bottom of my wardrobe.
I have some similar travel shorts from the same trip, but the holes are placed where I probably don't want to show them on youtube ;-)

Your dogs look lovely - I grew up on a farm with 6 working dogs... :)

roamingyak

Observer
Well if you see a light green Landy when there next, start flashing your lights and waving out the window at me! :)

roamingyak

Observer
A busy day creating a new website... the yak empire is growing :)

As many people don't like subscribing etc I've created an email list and will email out an interesting monthly update/video alerts - but also I'll be having some prizes and things to give away over time. I've found the most privacy aware provider I could, they don't access your email address etc. Anyway, appreciate it if you'd like too...

https://buttondown.email/roamingyak

JJEH

I like your videos. They are different, and that what makes them interesting to me. Beautiful scenery.... Africa is such a beautiful continent. Totally underrated in my opinion.

Do you know of Wally Johnson, the last ivory hunter? That's the Africa I'd like to have seen.

roamingyak

Observer
Thanks mate, that's kind of you to say so. I always try to make something that is realistic and interesting.
No, I hadn't heard of him, but trying to find a 2nd hand book at a sensible price, could be interesting and also wonderfully politically incorrect which in itself is another interesting history lesson.
I wish I could travel Africa in the early 1900's with a 1990's era vehicle and a touch of 2023 tech such as my iPad for navigation....

JJEH

Thanks mate, that's kind of you to say so. I always try to make something that is realistic and interesting.
No, I hadn't heard of him, but trying to find a 2nd hand book at a sensible price, could be interesting and also wonderfully politically incorrect which in itself is another interesting history lesson.
I wish I could travel Africa in the early 1900's with a 1990's era vehicle and a touch of 2023 tech such as my iPad for navigation....

Ha, can't have everything, but you can travel Africa in 2023 with a 1990's era vehicle and early 1900's technology. ???

Love your newest video. Can't wait to see the next one, especially the skeleton coast. Fun fact, you've showed a picture of Burkina Faso, and my wife has been there once or twice. Pretty cool.

Here's the book I'm talking about:

PSX_20210605_140425[7540]1.jpg

If you want to message or email me a good address, I'll go find a copy and send it to you.

If that book doesn't make you dream about African adventure, or adventure in general, you are dead inside.

roamingyak

Observer
Thanks mate, and also another one for being kind enough to sign up on Patreon, greatly appreciated ;-)

Here is my latest film, hope you all enjoy it! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke