70 Series or Hilux

bigwavedave

I don't really come to this forum a whole lot. I wanted an 80 series for a long time but never really worked out. Recently I moved to Okinawa Japan and I have seen a whole bunch of 70 series Land Cruisers. I have always loved the Hilux pickup but they look very similar to the Tacoma and Toyota Pickup from the mid 90s. Sure, the diesel option is the only reason I would get one but the 70 Series have caught my eye. 2 door (3 door hatchback) With a diesel and Manual trans. From an auctioneer I have talked to on the mainlaind they are both (Hilux and 70) about the same price.

The Nitty Gritty:

What should I be aware of for the 70 series?

Options I want are
13BT Turbo Diesel
Manual Transmission
2 Door

Pros and Cons?

Hilux options are the same except 4 door and the Diesel engine that came with the Hilux Pickup.

Years are the same 1995-1997. I can go earlier but nothing later than 1997.

Thanks

Dave

Clintnz

Observer
79 series came out in 1999 I think?

When I was working for my dad we had both an ex Japan ~1987 13BT BJ74 & a NZ new ~1995 2.8 diesel Hilux in the fleet. If you don't need the deck of the pickup, the 70 series is more rugged & more powerful & they often come in a higher spec. Lots of room inside the MWB 7* too. The 2.8 Hilux & the 13BT are both really reliable motors, although the 13BT is a little lazy for it's size compared with modern turbo diesels. Can you stretch the budget to an HZJ73? - Also worth considering as the 1HZ is a slightly stronger motor & you can put a turbo on for even more boogie.

Our BJ74 had horrible soft wallowy suspension, but we never quite got around to an upgrade. Later model MWB 70's I've driven were much better. Keep an eye out for a PTO winch if you'd find that useful - lots of the JDM 70's have them. The other very desirable option is diff locks, earlier 70's had cable operated ones, later they are electric.

Cheers
Clint

bigwavedave

79 series came out in 1999 I think?

When I was working for my dad we had both an ex Japan ~1987 13BT BJ74 & a NZ new ~1995 2.8 diesel Hilux in the fleet. If you don't need the deck of the pickup, the 70 series is more rugged & more powerful & they often come in a higher spec. Lots of room inside the MWB 7* too. The 2.8 Hilux & the 13BT are both really reliable motors, although the 13BT is a little lazy for it's size compared with modern turbo diesels. Can you stretch the budget to an HZJ73? - Also worth considering as the 1HZ is a slightly stronger motor & you can put a turbo on for even more boogie.

Our BJ74 had horrible soft wallowy suspension, but we never quite got around to an upgrade. Later model MWB 70's I've driven were much better. Keep an eye out for a PTO winch if you'd find that useful - lots of the JDM 70's have them. The other very desirable option is diff locks, earlier 70's had cable operated ones, later they are electric.

Cheers
Clint

My goal is to get the baddest thing for the budget. I would like to find the 1HZ with a Turbo, PTO Winch, and Lockers. If not, Later Ill throw in some ARB Air Lockers and an Electric Winch. HZJ73 sounds about right is what I am looking at.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
1HZ was a NA diesel, 1HDFTE is what you want if you wanted a turbo diesel (24 valve, factory turbo etc)

lugueto

Adventurer
Depends on what you need it for, I suppose. Both are incredibly reliable, although they are radically different.

The Hilux will be more comfortable, will have better road manners and better fuel economy.

The 70 will be more rugged, more spartan and more heavy duty.

If you're staying in Japan, and you won't be using it as a wheeling rig, then go for the Hilux. This is specially true if the 70 has leaf springs on all 4 corners.

If you just want to get the coolest pickup you can, then you're obviously looking at the 70.

Clintnz

Observer
1HZ was a NA diesel, 1HDFTE is what you want if you wanted a turbo diesel (24 valve, factory turbo etc)

Which 70 series got the 1HD turbo motor before 1997? I think the 1HD 70 series are quite rare in the JDM, maybe just an Oz market special?

Depends on what you need it for, I suppose. Both are incredibly reliable, although they are radically different.

The Hilux will be more comfortable, will have better road manners and better fuel economy.

The 70 will be more rugged, more spartan and more heavy duty.

If you're staying in Japan, and you won't be using it as a wheeling rig, then go for the Hilux. This is specially true if the 70 has leaf springs on all 4 corners.

If you just want to get the coolest pickup you can, then you're obviously looking at the 70.

If 1997 is the cutoff then you are looking at 5th gen Hiluxes. These are leaf springs all round just like most 70 series of the same era. Dead right the Hilux is better on fuel but the JDM Landcruisers we see here are usually fairly high specced inside, at least as comfy as a Hilux, more roomy for sure. My 87 BJ74 didn't handle as well as a Hilux but my sister's mid 90's HZJ73 was definitely better than a Hilux, it had big anti-roll bars front & back which I don't think my old 87 had.

Cheers
Clint

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Which 70 series got the 1HD turbo motor before 1997? I think the 1HD 70 series are quite rare in the JDM, maybe just an Oz market special?
Cheers
Clint

Bugger... HZJ75 it is, no HDJ until (well) after that cut off.

Also, if the OP is looking at a cab chassis, then the other thing to be aware of is that they only had the small cab then, not the slightly larger cab of the 79 series (which did get the 1HD in later years - 2001 onwards)

Perhaps as well keep an eye out for the KZJ78 5 door (Prado) wagon, coils all round (as opposed to the leaves that a HZJ78 would have)

Arktikos

Explorer
My goal is to get the baddest thing for the budget. I would like to find the 1HZ with a Turbo, PTO Winch, and Lockers. If not, Later Ill throw in some ARB Air Lockers and an Electric Winch. HZJ73 sounds about right is what I am looking at.

Yup, get that. Hilux are great trucks but they're readily available in the states from '89-95 with the 22RE.

lugueto

Adventurer
If 1997 is the cutoff then you are looking at 5th gen Hiluxes. These are leaf springs all round just like most 70 series of the same era. Dead right the Hilux is better on fuel but the JDM Landcruisers we see here are usually fairly high specced inside, at least as comfy as a Hilux, more roomy for sure. My 87 BJ74 didn't handle as well as a Hilux but my sister's mid 90's HZJ73 was definitely better than a Hilux, it had big anti-roll bars front & back which I don't think my old 87 had.

Cheers
Clint

That may be true, the 70 series we got had horribly flat vinyl seats, zero creature comforts (A/C was optional) whereas the Hilux had more comfortable (or should I say less uncomfortable?) cloth seats and a few creature comforts.

1995-97 Hiluxes should have IFS with torsion bars up front. Still jumpy, but way more comfortable. Also, leaf packs on the rear are much, much thinner than a 70 series. this is specially true if the OP is considering a 75 series cab.

Lastly, with the Hilux you can opt for a double cab. More doors, more room. Although you're right, the cab on the 70 is roomier.

Charo

Observer
I loved my BJ73. It had PTO winch but not lockers. Only needed the winch once in 5 years of driving in Africa. It also had the FRP removable top which made a really great open air experience when I wanted it. The original leaf springs were indeed heavy duty but not heavy enough for my needs. I had troopie seats in the back and regularly had 6-8 people in the back seats. Yes it was crowded and overloaded but that’s what you do when working in Africa!

bigwavedave

I appreciate everyones insight.... I am down here in Australia for a few weeks and there are quite a few amazing looking rigs in NSW. Mini Raptors, great lookin new gen Hiluxes, Land cruisers, and even a RHD duramax like my LHD one back home. So weird seeing that.

So you guys are torn like me. Hilux yes for comfyness, but 70 series due to the unusual aspect of having it in the states. 97 is the cutoff for the 25 year mark to take it back to the states when I return. 2022.

tacollie

Glamper
I say 70 series because there aren't a lot of trucks like it in the states. While the Hilux has some beef that the US counterparts lack it isn't different enough to justify the import in my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior