73' EX-MOD SIII 109 2 door $4,750 obo

discodisco

Observer
Putting up our 1973 Land Rover SIII 109 EX-MOD for sale again after a long holiday break.

This former British military land rover Series 3 109 is a right hand drive beast. My wife and I have put a lot of work into this vehicle for the last year and the engine now purrs to life. The body was used by the military and is authentically beat up as it should be. There is a little rust on the body but nothing too bad. The frame has some of rust issues as can be seen in the picture.

The roof is the original canvas top, and is thread bare in places. So I have kept it off and drove it as a convertible. I have the full set of loops including a replacement for the most forward loop which is cracked in the picture.
She is leaking oil from the rear main seal next to the drive shaft, which is very common and there are some good write ups on how to fix it. That oil leak is what is putting oil on the E-Brake. This landy was fitted with the two gas tanks under the drivers and passenger seats. Each of the gas tanks is about 10 gallons unfortunately I had to by-pass the switch to directly the drivers side fuel tank. None of this affects the drive but it is something that should be dealt with.

As far as rust, the bulk head has been covered and patched rather well with by squabbies and only has some small surface rust on small capping pieces and bolt heads. If you look at the front right turning signal you can see a little rust around it.

Among one of the many problems that prevented this beast from driving when I received it was a brake problem. Every time you pushed on the brake pedal brake fluid would spray the foot well. The previous owner was young and kept the land rover parked outside for over a year and appeared to just add brake fluid to the master cylinder every time he drove. I replaced the master cylinder, brake servo, rebuilt two wheel cylinders and now the foot brake works really well, but the foot well on the drivers side now has a hole about 3 inches by 1 inch from where the brake fluid pooled.

Included with this truck is the shop manual and restoration manual. Also included is some spare parts. The vehicle is titled in California and is smog exempt. It is a 2.25 liter 4 cylinder engine geared to be a workhorse over obstacles or indestructible while on safari.

Unlike many other “project” vehicles out there this one is very drivable and is a lot of fun to have while you deal with cosmetic issues.
See link for photos and videos
PRICE: 4,000 obo
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb395/wolf858/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94