75 gallon tank …to much weight?

Flameffects

Observer
I have been given a 75 gallon or 284 liter fuel tank with mounting hardware that is in perfect condition. I would like to replace my stock tank but read a thread on frame stress from a large fuel tank . I can easily fab backing hardware but an still proceeding with caution. Any thoughts or recommendations? I would prefer not to eat up my frame rail space with another 33 gallon tank.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
My only concern is the total weight of a 75 gallon tank and the necessary mounting brackets, which I estimate would be in excess of 300Kg (660 lbs).
Just be sure that which ever way you decide to mount this tank that you take into account the forces that will be in play when you are bouncing around on an off road track.

dlh62c

Explorer
Have you sourced a sending unit for the fuel gauge yet?

I'm sorry, but in my minds eye, I'm picturing the truck looking like a pregnant guppy with a mounted tank that size.

Flameffects

Observer
Have you sourced a sending unit for the fuel gauge yet?

I'm sorry, but in my minds eye, I'm picturing the truck looking like a pregnant guppy with a mounted tank that size.

I will most likely just modify the the stock sending unit to work in what ever tank I get.

I certainly don't want a pregnant puppy truck, one truck is enough. The tank actually fits quite well in the space of the stock tank. If you recall the stock tank is mounted on spacers to facilitate easy access to the fill cap. This makes filling convent but also creates unnessary leverage on the frame. As we all know its much easier to hold a heavy weight close to our own bodies.
I found a rectangular tank yesterday that was 4" shorter in length and the same height as the stock tank and holds 11 gallons more fuel. I would have paid for it on the spot but it was blue and the thought of more painting did not excite me. If I find a pair of these I will be a happy camper.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi
I remember once attempting to rectify a severe list on a SWB FG649 with a 320litre fuel tank at the OEM tank location. That truck was at a crazy angle and I think already showing signs of cracking the cross member side plates.
I realize it was a little bigger than the 75gallon tank that you have but I personally wouldn't go that way. If you need to cater for that much fuel (certainly common here in Oz) then IMO it's better to have a tank on each side, so as fuel is consumed, you can balance your load laterally..... If that makes sense. Of course a fuel tank(s) down between the chassis rails is also worth consideration with large capacities on an FG.

Last edited:

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Ok new fuel tank shoe horned in. Put 200l of fuel in which hurt but im ok. Managed to get 6 fixings per bracket 4 on chassis and 2 on Tipper subframe
View attachment 154508
Sits flush with the side had to cut small section from tray for filler
View attachment 154509
and it sits higher that the original tank
View attachment 154510
The tank is from a dennis eagle rubbish truck, hopefully another will come up and ill mirror on the other side.

This was an my truck, it was only 200 litres and it did chassis damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flameffects

Observer
Hi
I remember once attempting to rectify a severe list on a SWB FG649 with a 320litre fuel tank at the OEM tank location. That truck was at a crazy angle and I think already showing signs of cracking the cross member side plates.
I realize it was a little bigger than the 75gallon tank that you have but I personally wouldn't go that way. If you need to cater for that much fuel (certainly common here in Oz) then IMO it's better to have a tank on each side, so as fuel is consumed, you can balance your load laterally..... If that makes sense. Of course a fuel tank(s) down between the chassis rails is also worth consideration with large capacities on an FG.
That is some good information for consideration. I had not considered side listing….balance is good in many areas of life :)

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I had the same predicament with my Mercedes 917. The truck came with a 20gal tank which gave me a range of 230ish miles. I wanted to carry about 70 gals. I wanted to go with two 35gal tanks on either side. For 2 reasons; 1: it keeps the load even on the truck, 2: if you get bad fuel in one tank you still have good fuel in another. There are very few downsides to having two tanks. But I had to go with one 73gal tank on my passenger side. My truck has two very large air tanks which take up the whole drivers side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke