77 Ford Modification

jbortt

Hey All, I'm currently trying to sell my 1977 Ford F-100 2wd Truck, it's in good condition and has only 42K miles on it's 300 Inline 6. I'm really in no hurry to sell it as it's only costing me insurance to keep it. If I don't sell it by first snowfall this year, I'll probably start working on converting it to a camping/ overlanding vehicle. Does anybody have any experience in converting a 70s ford truck to 4x4 or using this kind of truck for Overlanding purposes and have suggestions?

Current plans/ dreams, in addition to 4x4 conversion, are to ditch the box and go for a flat bed w/ utility boxes (similar to the pcor flat bed but homemade) and fit a simple camper or roof top tent. Refurbishing the interior to accommodate more comfortable bench seat (I have a dog that likes to sprawl out) and auxiliary controls. I'm totally open to suggestions on avenues to take, comments, concerns, outbursts, even offers if you're interested in the truck.

I'm new to the forum, but not new to camping or auto repair, modification, etc. I've been completely blown away by the Overlanding boom that is taking US by storm. I want to get into it a lot more, but student loans hold me back from going all out and just buying a used 4runner or land cruiser. This is why I'm trying to sell the truck, to pay off one of seven loans. If I can't do that, then f it, I'm building with what I have.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice anyone can give.
(see attached for a few pics of what i'm working with, it's short box!)
Best,
John

Attachments

• merv2.jpg
    merv2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 26
  • merv8.jpg
    merv8.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 26

tom11919

Good looking F100! I have a soft spot for old trucks and especially old Ford trucks. I drove a '92 F150 (with the I-6 ;) )for 15 years and 170k miles, my dad had a '73 Hiboy when I was little, and my next project is my grandpa's first work truck, a '58 F250. That said, definitely research doing the 4wd conversion on your generation truck. On 1980-1996 F150s it is a 100% bolt in operation if you have all the correct factory parts since the frames and suspension attachment points are identical. I did the swap on the aforementioned '92 F150 back in the early aughts before driving it up here to Alaska (and back and forth, but that's another story). Sadly, for 1979 and earlier, the frames and suspension are totally different: Twin-I beam and coils for the 2wd and solid axle and leaf springs for the 4wd. It can be done with some fabrication and mechanical know-how, just be aware of that going in.

SheepnJeep

Check out radius arm 4x4 setups. You can stick with the stock coil towers etc in the front that way. As has been said, it's fabrication as opposed to bolt in place but I don't see why not. I'm thinking about converting our f100 to a "light duty" 4x4 with the standard column 3 speed and solenoids or cables on the transfer case so that the floor remains shifter-free. To be honest with you I really don't think I need 4 wheel drive for the sort of stuff we do. I have 31x10.5 tires on it now and may switch to 16 inch rims to fit 235/85r16 tires. About 2 inches taller and maybe two inches narrower to get some turning radius back. Have to get those I beams off the ground!

We have been upgrading the interior with noico sound deadening and insulated closed cell foam. Much quieter in the cab now and lots easier to control the temp with floor vents or heater. Working now on recovering the seat with canvas. Other than that we just drive it. Just drove 900 miles over the weekend and actually got about 18+mpg with the 240 six. Great looking truck you have!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online